Galaxy S5 Wireless Charger (PHOTO)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I really wish Samsung would just make it standard. I don't mind paying a little more just annoyed that it is harder to find cases with the Wireless back

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Question please, gents:

how much thicker will this "Wireless Charging Caseback" be?

i.e. how much additional thickness would we have to suffer for the privilege of being able to charge wirelessly?

as much as i find this wireless charging idea to be nifty, especially by one's bedside nightstand, i question this:

- do i prefer having a white cable (w/micro usb plug) discreetly at my nightstand, or, would i prefer having a black 3"x3" square "coaster-like" flat object sitting there ALL the time. Being there ALL the time is quite likely worse than having a white tiny cable next to one's bed or mattress. This black "coaster" would be there at ALL times!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have exact dimensions, but On my note 3, the Wireless charging back is noticeably thicker and heavier.

The advantage is that when I wake up, I don't accidentally hit the phone off the table with the cord dangling. Has happened to me before. Also sometimes my daughter will grab the phone without looking to see if the cord is attached.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
As long as aftermarket cases still fit, that's what I'm worried about.

Does anyone know if those 3rd party charging pads will work for s5, or is samsung using proprietary tech (not Qi?) ?

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm torn over getting one. They have the flip cases too and the green is purty. When they're in store I'll need to look at it...and see how annoying the little flap on the port is.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
As long as aftermarket cases still fit, that's what I'm worried about.

Does anyone know if those 3rd party charging pads will work for s5, or is samsung using proprietary tech (not Qi?) ?

I think any Qi charging pad will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
still, the most important aspect for me is how much thicker the wireless charging caseback will be?!?
i do not wish to "contaminate" my S5's attractiveness and slimness by a thick wireless case! then again, that microUSB3 plug is really clunky to plug in and unplug each and every day! also: that little door to water resist the microUSB3 port is sure to snap off soon -- it is so very flimsy! designed and planned obsolescence?

where would one order the original Samsung wireless charging "set" (pad + caseback)?

it's not available yet, so it seems.

also: no one can tell us how much thicker and what colors those casebacks come in. i have a white phone and i certainly don't want to be forced to switch to a black "wireless charging compatible caseback"!!

Last edited:

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
"...They are preorder and it looks like a month out..."

Now, did you read that as "a month out"? It actually says 1-3 months! I'm kidding around -- I do the same thing: $5 to $10, i hear that as $5. haha. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

tomadamsphoto

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I looked on the Samsung website and it said the size is the same just the inside lining is different. I hope so because it doesn't make any sense if no phone cases will fit.

Posted via Android Central App

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I looked on the Samsung website and it said the size is the same just the inside lining is different. I hope so because it doesn't make any sense if no phone cases will fit.

I hope so to but I have my doubt's. Every other wireless charging back from Samsung has been thicker than the standard one.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope so to but I have my doubt's. Every other wireless charging back from Samsung has been thicker than the standard one.

@jschu22: i think you're right about the past wireless charging covers. on this one, however, if you were to see the 2 pics posted on samsung.com's site, the inside of the cover looks very very simple, barely anything at all, besides a few tiny pinhead-sized contacts (presumably for the charging) and a tiny metal plate (presumably for the inductive waves to get absorbed). these do not look that thick to me.

net/net: for me, as much as i dislike having a thicker phone with me ALL the time, the negatives of having to open that flimsy and easy to break off micro USB3 port cover each day multiple times (at my desktop pc during the day, next to my bed at night), it is better to live with a tiny amount of extra thickness and live with that coaster-like black charging pad at all times, rather than having to open and close that flimsy cover multiple times each day.

i don't really want that black coaster right there next to my desktop keyboard at all times, but that beats having to open/close the port cover AND having a dangling white cable hanging around all the time as well.

it's an imperfect solution, especially with the thickness of the charging pad. i'd be happier if that charging pad were to be thinner, i.e. 1/8" thick as opposed to what appears to be around 1/2" thick now (just guesstimating from the pictures).

what do y'all think?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay