06-11-2015 10:46 PM
236 1234 ...
tools
    I should know more by this weekend. I was considering the silly expensive Spigen version ($38!) but instead ordered the slightly thicker Luvvitt version. It, my new S5, and my Spigen case should all be here tomorrow.
    Congrats! You'll have to report back on how you like everything!
    04-15-2014 07:16 PM
    Hmm the $10 luvvitt or the $10 aerb... Guess I'll have to wait and read the respective reports!
    04-15-2014 08:25 PM
    I just received my "Iloome real tempered glass" screen protector with a rating of "9h" on the hardness scales. I have one on my Galaxy S4 and it was the best protector that I ever purchased, but I'm wondering if it will work ok with my S5 and it's fingerprint scanner. The screen protector itself is 0.9mm thick. Has anyone uses anything similar to this with their S5, and if so, how does it work with the fingerprint scanner? P.s...My Tmobile Galaxy S5 completely stopped working after 2 days and my new one should be here today...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app
    04-16-2014 10:21 AM
    I pulled the trigger on the $10 Luvvitt protector after asking the company some questions about it (very quick responses which I take as a good sign). Has oleophobic coating, rounded edges, won't interfere with fingerprint scanner. Should be here Friday. I'll post back.
    04-16-2014 09:44 PM
    I got my icarez one in today from Amazon. Gotta say I love it and it has rounded edges.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app
    04-17-2014 12:40 AM
    Ok cool that's one of the ones I was looking at. The spigen one and that one. the spigen one is just kind of expensive and dont want to break it upon application.

Yes, please quote me with your review if you write one!
    OK for $10 I may have to bite on that. Please let us know what you think when it arrives.
    I just got and installed it and it fits perfectly! I really like the feel of it and it doesnt leave much fingerprints like my old screen protector...marks can easily be wiped off with your shirt and it will look clean and new
    It feels like a light plastic, but seems to be protective....I would recommend this
    atg284 likes this.
    04-17-2014 02:58 PM
    I just got the $10 Aerb protector. It installs easily, and was much easier to align than the old floppy plastic protectors! (I did buy two protectors, in case I blew the first installation and needed to try again.)

The protector didn't seem to seal completely in the upper and lower left corners. I don't know whether that's an issue with the protector or a slight bend in the top surface of the phone. Despite my efforts, there are a few very small dust spots under the glass. Oh well, not enough to worry about.

The surface feels good, not all that different from the glass of the S5. Fingerprint scanning seems to work as well (or not) as it did before I put the protector on.
    04-17-2014 08:37 PM
    Got my luvvitt protector yesterday, haven't had chance to install it yet. Is it just me or do these things feel like plastic? I mean I'm sure it's glass, but I was expecting it to feel different.
    04-19-2014 07:11 AM
    Got my luvvitt protector yesterday, haven't had chance to install it yet. Is it just me or do these things feel like plastic? I mean I'm sure it's glass, but I was expecting it to feel different.
    I guarantee it's glass. Bend it too much before getting it on your phone, and you'll get good empirical evidence on that fact. ;-)

Mark

Posted via Android Central App
    04-19-2014 07:31 AM
    I guarantee it's glass. Bend it too much before getting it on your phone, and you'll get good empirical evidence on that fact. ;-)

Mark

Haha I don't doubt it. Anyway, I put the protector on with the hinge method after a hot shower. It looks and feels great on the phone. I think I trapped a piece of dust or two underneath but you can't even tell when the screen's on. Sensitivity seems the exact same and the fingerprint scanner still works great. The home button is now recessed which may take some getting used to, but it's still perfectly accessible. Overall, I think it's pretty solid for a $10 glass protector.
    04-19-2014 08:27 AM
    Haha I don't doubt it. Anyway, I put the protector on with the hinge method after a hot shower. It looks and feels great on the phone. I think I trapped a piece of dust or two underneath but you can't even tell when the screen's on. Sensitivity seems the exact same and the fingerprint scanner still works great. The home button is now recessed which may take some getting used to, but it's still perfectly accessible. Overall, I think it's pretty solid for a $10 glass protector.
    Heh. Maybe I'll try the ten buck version on my 5s FisherPrice phone. I'll go the full boat on the one for the phone I actually like ;-)

Mark

04-19-2014 08:33 AM
    Heh. Maybe I'll try the ten buck version on my 5s FisherPrice phone. I'll go the full boat on the one for the phone I actually like ;-)

Mark

Honestly I don't know what spending 3-4x more on one would get you. This thing looks and feels like the original screen (now that it's on the phone). It seems to be very high quality. Of course, I have no way to compare.
    mjcecil likes this.
    04-19-2014 09:30 AM
    Mime Feather Glass only .15 thick and it has a 9h hardness rating. With a case on there is almost no sign of the screen cover except around the home button and speaker. $27 free shipping.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 09:35 PM
    Anything less than 9h will scratch real easy. I had the iloome flex on my g2 and ordered the mime the day I installed it because there was already a small scratch in it. The feather glass is so thin its flexible but has 9h hardness. No need for rounded edges when its as thin as the wet application screen covers of the past.

04-19-2014 09:38 PM
    Anything less than 9h will scratch real easy. I had the iloome flex on my g2 and ordered the mime the day I installed it because there was already a small scratch in it. The feather glass is so thin its flexible but has 9h hardness. No need for rounded edges when its as thin as the wet application screen covers of the past.

+1

Have the Mime Feather Glass. Works great. Super thin (0.15mm!) - no need for rounded edges. Doesn't interfere with fingerprint scanner. Oleophobic coating reduces fingerprints. Works great with Otter Box Commuter case, almost like they were made for each other.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 09:44 PM
    Got the Verizon tempered glass protector and love it. It's buttery smooth and somewhat resistant to smudges and prints but you can wipe it down with almost any kind of cloth and it shines again.
    04-20-2014 11:35 AM
    I'm wondering if these are really worth the relatively high price. Won't the gorilla glass hold up pretty well on its own, or should I bite the bullet and get one? Are they really so thin and transparent that you can't tell it's on there?
    I picked up Zagg's Glass protector yesterday. Install was a breeze and I love it. It actually has better fingerprint repelling than the actual screen. No weird haze effect, etc. It's crystal clear. I highly recommend it.
    04-20-2014 11:50 AM
    Think of it this way. Even if the gorilla glass holds up great, there will still be scratches. When you get tired of the glass scratches and you HAVE a glass protector, peel it off and spend another $25-$40 on a new one and, voila! a screen that looks new. If you DON'T have a protector, then you are out $200 to replace the digitizer and the glass (and who knows what results you'll get). OR, you burn $100 on a new phone via insurance. OR WORSE, you just live with the scratches, which, if you're as uptight as I am about that stuff, can be nerve-wracking.

I bought the Zagg one. I had one for my S4 and LOVED it. Not only is it scratch resistant, but it has an oleophobic coating that resists (doesn't PREVENT, mind you) fingerprints, so the screen actually gets far less nasty. To be honest, I bought the Verizon-branded tempered glass protector at the Verizon store along with the phone for $24, and after two hours with it, I replaced it with the Zagg model, because the VZW model appeared to ATTRACT fingerprints. I'm MUCH happier with the Zagg.

As for the clarity and feel, I can say that the screen on the S4 and the S5 look exactly as they do unprotected, and the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass model actually has a smoother glide than the bare phone glass.

I'll never buy another phone that can't be protected with one of these!

Mark
    Well said about the Zagg Glass. I really like that it has excellent fingerprint repelling than the actual screen. First thing I noticed after installing it was how less dirty my screen looked!
    04-20-2014 11:52 AM
    I was planning on getting the Zagg glass protector as well. Hoping the kiosk at my mall has it because I don't want to install it myself...
    It's incredibly easy. Comes with an alcohol wipe and a soft cloth to remove any residual lint. I did it in the shower with it steamed up. Wipe it off with the wipe, run the cloth through once or twice and check for anything left on the screen and then apply the protector. I did it in about 5 min and it's perfectly aligned with nothing caught underneath.
    04-20-2014 11:54 AM
    Just got my Zagg tempered glass screen protector put on and I love it! The edges are slightly rounded so it lays nicely on the phone and you can't even tell it's on there. It was $48 with installation at the mall. I know, rip off, but I hate putting these things on myself and after I drove out to the mall I figured might as well save my time and gas and just have them do it while I was there and make sure it was perfect. Very happy with mine. They said not to put a case on it for 48 hours which will be tough because my white S5 is super slick, feels like it will fly right out of my hand!
    With the glass protector, the whole "no case for 24-48 hours is pointless. It doesnt install the way the original Zagg does. I am surprised the guy told you this.
    04-20-2014 11:57 AM
    With the glass protector, the whole "no case for 24-48 hours is pointless. It doesnt install the way the original Zagg does. I am surprised the guy told you this.
    Yeah, I quickly abandoned that. Stuck a case back on later that night. Still loving my screen protector!
    04-20-2014 05:05 PM
    Just bought this: Quality Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector Film for Samsung Galaxy S5 | eBay

I'll see how it goes. Good price though.
    04-20-2014 08:54 PM
    How easy is it to install a glass screen protector? Will there be a chance of air bubbles?
    04-20-2014 11:28 PM
    Bought and installed the luvvit one. This is my first one so I don't know how it compares to spigen but its pretty decent. Does anyone else notice a bit of the rainbow effect when viewing it from the side?
    04-21-2014 01:09 AM
    How easy is it to install a glass screen protector? Will there be a chance of air bubbles?
    I found it very easy. I used to struggle to get the flexible plastic screen protectors on straight and without bubbles and was never as successful as I wanted. The Aerb glass protector is much stiffer and easier to hold and align. My technique was to center the cutout for the home button exactly around the button itself. Then just drop the upper part of the glass into place, making sure the distance between the glass and the bezel on each side was the same.

Good cleaning in a dust free environment is still important. I did end up with three very small dust particles, but they are almost invisible so I am ignoring them.
    04-21-2014 02:45 AM
236 1234 ...