Galaxy S5: Tempered glass screen protectors?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if these are really worth the relatively high price. Won't the gorilla glass hold up pretty well on its own, or should I bite the bullet and get one? Are they really so thin and transparent that you can't tell it's on there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil13n

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tempered glass screen protectors?

I never used one until this phone (one of the SGP ones) and it has a strange awesomeness that it feels like there really isn't anything there. Not used to it, but love it!

From a few short days of use, I'd definitely recommend one.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I've used the Glas.t Nano on my S4 and it's awesome. Your finger glides across it where with a plastic screen protector it kinds drags across.

Definitely worth it to me. I have noticed several brands on Amazon that aren't as expensive as Spigen but I don't know about their quality.

And Spigen is making an anti-privacy Glas.t.

Posted via Android Central App

DarshOne

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I got one with my s5 from costco. The guy put it on for me and did a flawless job. I wasnt sold on it and planned to keep the protector that came on the phone like i did with my s4, until i realized that samsung has now made them extend over the edge of the screen. So i plopped down the 25$ and im actually quite pleased. Feels very smooth and is super clear, not too thick, barely notice it. Would reccomend.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm wondering if these are really worth the relatively high price. Won't the gorilla glass hold up pretty well on its own, or should I bite the bullet and get one? Are they really so thin and transparent that you can't tell it's on there?

Think of it this way. Even if the gorilla glass holds up great, there will still be scratches. When you get tired of the glass scratches and you HAVE a glass protector, peel it off and spend another $25-$40 on a new one and, voila! a screen that looks new. If you DON'T have a protector, then you are out $200 to replace the digitizer and the glass (and who knows what results you'll get). OR, you burn $100 on a new phone via insurance. OR WORSE, you just live with the scratches, which, if you're as uptight as I am about that stuff, can be nerve-wracking.

I bought the Zagg one. I had one for my S4 and LOVED it. Not only is it scratch resistant, but it has an oleophobic coating that resists (doesn't PREVENT, mind you) fingerprints, so the screen actually gets far less nasty. To be honest, I bought the Verizon-branded tempered glass protector at the Verizon store along with the phone for $24, and after two hours with it, I replaced it with the Zagg model, because the VZW model appeared to ATTRACT fingerprints. I'm MUCH happier with the Zagg.

As for the clarity and feel, I can say that the screen on the S4 and the S5 look exactly as they do unprotected, and the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass model actually has a smoother glide than the bare phone glass.

I'll never buy another phone that can't be protected with one of these!

Mark

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

How hard is it to apply onto the phone? what happens if there is a bit of lint underneth after you place it on the screen. Are there re-do's like with the plastic ones or is it a onetime placement?

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Think of it this way. Even if the gorilla glass holds up great, there will still be scratches. When you get tired of the glass scratches and you HAVE a glass protector, peel it off and spend another $25-$40 on a new one and, voila! a screen that looks new. If you DON'T have a protector, then you are out $200 to replace the digitizer and the glass (and who knows what results you'll get). OR, you burn $100 on a new phone via insurance. OR WORSE, you just live with the scratches, which, if you're as uptight as I am about that stuff, can be nerve-wracking.

I bought the Zagg one. I had one for my S4 and LOVED it. Not only is it scratch resistant, but it has an oleophobic coating that resists (doesn't PREVENT, mind you) fingerprints, so the screen actually gets far less nasty. To be honest, I bought the Verizon-branded tempered glass protector at the Verizon store along with the phone for $24, and after two hours with it, I replaced it with the Zagg model, because the VZW model appeared to ATTRACT fingerprints. I'm MUCH happier with the Zagg.

As for the clarity and feel, I can say that the screen on the S4 and the S5 look exactly as they do unprotected, and the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass model actually has a smoother glide than the bare phone glass.

I'll never buy another phone that can't be protected with one of these!

Mark

I was planning on getting the Zagg glass protector as well. Hoping the kiosk at my mall has it because I don't want to install it myself...

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I just ordered a tempered glass protector, my first one...I'm excited to try it from reading what you all are saying

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Installation isn't too difficult, just do it in a steamy bathroom using the hinge method

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

OK for $10 I may have to bite on that. Please let us know what you think when it arrives.

Ok cool that's one of the ones I was looking at. The spigen one and that one. the spigen one is just kind of expensive and dont want to break it upon application.

Yes, please quote me with your review if you write one! :)

Will do! I didn't want to get an expensive one lol

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Installation isn't too difficult, just do it in a steamy bathroom using the hinge method

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Ok yeah I've read up on those techniques and they definitely look like goo techniques. I put a traditional screen protector on but it took 3 tries lol.

So I guess my main concern is that if you mess up the first time is ther a way to re-apply it?

side note: here is the ebay link for the same thing for those who do not want to pay for shipping: Aerb Premium Ultra Slim Ballistic Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Samsung S5 | eBay

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Ive got the zagg one on mine and so far its the nicest protector ive ever had!! I had the zagg HD on my GS3 and it was nice. This glass one doesnt even feel like there is a protector there!!!! Worth the $40 in my opinion!!

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Btw, the zagg takes about 2 seconds to install by yourself and is almost impossible to mess up... watch the youtube video of your scared haha. Really though its super easy..

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
What is the deference between the $10 protector by Aerb Amazon.com: Aerb Premium Samsung Galaxy S5 Ballistic Nano Tempered Glass Screen Protector
and the $35 Spigen one. Amazon.com: Spigen? Samsung Galaxy S5 Screen Protector Glass

This is quite a big difference in prices!

Quality I would imagine. I have used Spigen Glas.t in the past and it's a great product. But the cheaper one could be just as good. We need a real user review of it - $9.99 is musher better than $35!

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion for everyone considering something more than the el cheapo glass ones- get the Zagg or Spigen Glas.TR. Both have a rounded edge and its so much nicer than all the others.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
My suggestion for everyone considering something more than the el cheapo glass ones- get the Zagg or Spigen Glas.TR. Both have a rounded edge and its so much nicer than all the others.

The $10 one says it has a "rounded edge cut." I wonder if that's the same thing as on the more expensive ones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar