Galaxy S5: Tempered glass screen protectors?

Dom Laz

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
im looking at getting the Glas.tr SLIM 0.4mm,
does anyone have one on the s5? i want to know if it affects the use of the fingerprint reader? and use of the home button?
i know they send gel stickers for the home button but they arent really ideal
cheers.

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Zagg tempered glass screen protector put on and I love it! The edges are slightly rounded so it lays nicely on the phone and you can't even tell it's on there. It was $48 with installation at the mall. I know, rip off, but I hate putting these things on myself and after I drove out to the mall I figured might as well save my time and gas and just have them do it while I was there and make sure it was perfect. Very happy with mine. They said not to put a case on it for 48 hours which will be tough because my white S5 is super slick, feels like it will fly right out of my hand!

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ive got the zagg one on mine and so far its the nicest protector ive ever had!! I had the zagg HD on my GS3 and it was nice. This glass one doesnt even feel like there is a protector there!!!! Worth the $40 in my opinion!!

Posted via Android Central App

I agree, so smooth you can't even tell it's on there. Very happy with mine too.

B Posey

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I just received my "Iloome real tempered glass" screen protector with a rating of "9h" on the hardness scales. I have one on my Galaxy S4 and it was the best protector that I ever purchased, but I'm wondering if it will work ok with my S5 and it's fingerprint scanner. The screen protector itself is 0.9mm thick. Has anyone uses anything similar to this with their S5, and if so, how does it work with the fingerprint scanner? P.s...My Tmobile Galaxy S5 completely stopped working after 2 days and my new one should be here today...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I pulled the trigger on the $10 Luvvitt protector after asking the company some questions about it (very quick responses which I take as a good sign). Has oleophobic coating, rounded edges, won't interfere with fingerprint scanner. Should be here Friday. I'll post back.

bauer2

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I got my icarez one in today from Amazon. Gotta say I love it and it has rounded edges.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tempered glass screen protectors?

Ok cool that's one of the ones I was looking at. The spigen one and that one. the spigen one is just kind of expensive and dont want to break it upon application.

Yes, please quote me with your review if you write one! :)

OK for $10 I may have to bite on that. Please let us know what you think when it arrives.

I just got and installed it and it fits perfectly! I really like the feel of it and it doesnt leave much fingerprints like my old screen protector...marks can easily be wiped off with your shirt and it will look clean and new
It feels like a light plastic, but seems to be protective....I would recommend this

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tempered glass screen protectors?

I just got the $10 Aerb protector. It installs easily, and was much easier to align than the old floppy plastic protectors! (I did buy two protectors, in case I blew the first installation and needed to try again.)

The protector didn't seem to seal completely in the upper and lower left corners. I don't know whether that's an issue with the protector or a slight bend in the top surface of the phone. Despite my efforts, there are a few very small dust spots under the glass. Oh well, not enough to worry about.

The surface feels good, not all that different from the glass of the S5. Fingerprint scanning seems to work as well (or not) as it did before I put the protector on.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Got my luvvitt protector yesterday, haven't had chance to install it yet. Is it just me or do these things feel like plastic? I mean I'm sure it's glass, but I was expecting it to feel different.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Got my luvvitt protector yesterday, haven't had chance to install it yet. Is it just me or do these things feel like plastic? I mean I'm sure it's glass, but I was expecting it to feel different.

I guarantee it's glass. Bend it too much before getting it on your phone, and you'll get good empirical evidence on that fact. ;-)

Mark

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I guarantee it's glass. Bend it too much before getting it on your phone, and you'll get good empirical evidence on that fact. ;-)

Mark

Haha I don't doubt it. Anyway, I put the protector on with the hinge method after a hot shower. It looks and feels great on the phone. I think I trapped a piece of dust or two underneath but you can't even tell when the screen's on. Sensitivity seems the exact same and the fingerprint scanner still works great. The home button is now recessed which may take some getting used to, but it's still perfectly accessible. Overall, I think it's pretty solid for a $10 glass protector.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Haha I don't doubt it. Anyway, I put the protector on with the hinge method after a hot shower. It looks and feels great on the phone. I think I trapped a piece of dust or two underneath but you can't even tell when the screen's on. Sensitivity seems the exact same and the fingerprint scanner still works great. The home button is now recessed which may take some getting used to, but it's still perfectly accessible. Overall, I think it's pretty solid for a $10 glass protector.

Heh. Maybe I'll try the ten buck version on my 5s FisherPrice phone. I'll go the full boat on the one for the phone I actually like ;-)

Mark

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Heh. Maybe I'll try the ten buck version on my 5s FisherPrice phone. I'll go the full boat on the one for the phone I actually like ;-)

Mark

Honestly I don't know what spending 3-4x more on one would get you. This thing looks and feels like the original screen (now that it's on the phone). It seems to be very high quality. Of course, I have no way to compare.

Last edited:

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Mime Feather Glass only .15 thick and it has a 9h hardness rating. With a case on there is almost no sign of the screen cover except around the home button and speaker. $27 free shipping.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Anything less than 9h will scratch real easy. I had the iloome flex on my g2 and ordered the mime the day I installed it because there was already a small scratch in it. The feather glass is so thin its flexible but has 9h hardness. No need for rounded edges when its as thin as the wet application screen covers of the past.

rDubs22

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Anything less than 9h will scratch real easy. I had the iloome flex on my g2 and ordered the mime the day I installed it because there was already a small scratch in it. The feather glass is so thin its flexible but has 9h hardness. No need for rounded edges when its as thin as the wet application screen covers of the past.

+1

Have the Mime Feather Glass. Works great. Super thin (0.15mm!) - no need for rounded edges. Doesn't interfere with fingerprint scanner. Oleophobic coating reduces fingerprints. Works great with Otter Box Commuter case, almost like they were made for each other.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair