Galaxy S5: Tempered glass screen protectors?

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Got the Verizon tempered glass protector and love it. It's buttery smooth and somewhat resistant to smudges and prints but you can wipe it down with almost any kind of cloth and it shines again.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if these are really worth the relatively high price. Won't the gorilla glass hold up pretty well on its own, or should I bite the bullet and get one? Are they really so thin and transparent that you can't tell it's on there?

I picked up Zagg's Glass protector yesterday. Install was a breeze and I love it. It actually has better fingerprint repelling than the actual screen. No weird haze effect, etc. It's crystal clear. I highly recommend it.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Tempered glass screen protectors?

Think of it this way. Even if the gorilla glass holds up great, there will still be scratches. When you get tired of the glass scratches and you HAVE a glass protector, peel it off and spend another $25-$40 on a new one and, voila! a screen that looks new. If you DON'T have a protector, then you are out $200 to replace the digitizer and the glass (and who knows what results you'll get). OR, you burn $100 on a new phone via insurance. OR WORSE, you just live with the scratches, which, if you're as uptight as I am about that stuff, can be nerve-wracking.

I bought the Zagg one. I had one for my S4 and LOVED it. Not only is it scratch resistant, but it has an oleophobic coating that resists (doesn't PREVENT, mind you) fingerprints, so the screen actually gets far less nasty. To be honest, I bought the Verizon-branded tempered glass protector at the Verizon store along with the phone for $24, and after two hours with it, I replaced it with the Zagg model, because the VZW model appeared to ATTRACT fingerprints. I'm MUCH happier with the Zagg.

As for the clarity and feel, I can say that the screen on the S4 and the S5 look exactly as they do unprotected, and the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass model actually has a smoother glide than the bare phone glass.

I'll never buy another phone that can't be protected with one of these!

Mark

Well said about the Zagg Glass. I really like that it has excellent fingerprint repelling than the actual screen. First thing I noticed after installing it was how less dirty my screen looked!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Tempered glass screen protectors?

I was planning on getting the Zagg glass protector as well. Hoping the kiosk at my mall has it because I don't want to install it myself...

It's incredibly easy. Comes with an alcohol wipe and a soft cloth to remove any residual lint. I did it in the shower with it steamed up. Wipe it off with the wipe, run the cloth through once or twice and check for anything left on the screen and then apply the protector. I did it in about 5 min and it's perfectly aligned with nothing caught underneath.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Zagg tempered glass screen protector put on and I love it! The edges are slightly rounded so it lays nicely on the phone and you can't even tell it's on there. It was $48 with installation at the mall. I know, rip off, but I hate putting these things on myself and after I drove out to the mall I figured might as well save my time and gas and just have them do it while I was there and make sure it was perfect. Very happy with mine. They said not to put a case on it for 48 hours which will be tough because my white S5 is super slick, feels like it will fly right out of my hand!

With the glass protector, the whole "no case for 24-48 hours is pointless. It doesnt install the way the original Zagg does. I am surprised the guy told you this.

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
With the glass protector, the whole "no case for 24-48 hours is pointless. It doesnt install the way the original Zagg does. I am surprised the guy told you this.

Yeah, I quickly abandoned that. Stuck a case back on later that night. Still loving my screen protector!

clumsyalex

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Bought and installed the luvvit one. This is my first one so I don't know how it compares to spigen but its pretty decent. Does anyone else notice a bit of the rainbow effect when viewing it from the side?

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
How easy is it to install a glass screen protector? Will there be a chance of air bubbles?
I found it very easy. I used to struggle to get the flexible plastic screen protectors on straight and without bubbles and was never as successful as I wanted. The Aerb glass protector is much stiffer and easier to hold and align. My technique was to center the cutout for the home button exactly around the button itself. Then just drop the upper part of the glass into place, making sure the distance between the glass and the bezel on each side was the same.

Good cleaning in a dust free environment is still important. I did end up with three very small dust particles, but they are almost invisible so I am ignoring them.

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I found it very easy. I used to struggle to get the flexible plastic screen protectors on straight and without bubbles and was never as successful as I wanted. The Aerb glass protector is much stiffer and easier to hold and align. My technique was to center the cutout for the home button exactly around the button itself. Then just drop the upper part of the glass into place, making sure the distance between the glass and the bezel on each side was the same.

Good cleaning in a dust free environment is still important. I did end up with three very small dust particles, but they are almost invisible so I am ignoring them.

So you just align it, drop one side of the screen protector on one end, and drop the other end on it and that's it?

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
So you just align it, drop one side of the screen protector on one end, and drop the other end on it and that's it?
Before I removed the film from the glass protector, I experimented with positioning it on the phone to make sure the fit was exactly right with the hole for the power button exactly centered around the button itself. It was.

I removed the film from the back of the protector and touched the bottom edge of the protector along the bottom edge of the phone, making sure that the home button hole was exactly centered around the button. Then I slowly lowered swiveled the protector down until the top touched, making sure that the distance between the screen protector and the phone bezel was equal on each side. I could see the protector sealing itself to the phone down the middle. As an encouragement, I lightly ran my finger down the middle of the protector.

Since the glass protector is stiff and doesn't flex like the plastic protectors, there was no problem with it slipping, folding, or stretching while I was working with it. The glass protector was an absolute delight compared to anything I had struggled with before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC