Galaxy S5: Tempered glass screen protectors?

Ted Kurkowski

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Tempered glass screen protectors?

I just purchased an s5 at best buy; the salesman talked me into a zagg glass and I'm extremely happy with it. It does feel amazing to the touch. Even though I paid $40 for it, I admit it was worth it.

I had put a Tech Armor Ultraclear Ballistic Glass on my wife's S5 but all the accolades here about the Zagg Invisible Shield Glass' ability to resist fingerprints convinced me to buy the Zagg.

Well, you Zagg fans are way off base. After a day of use my Zagg glass protector is full of fingerprints and my wife's Tech Armor is not, and she uses her S5 way more than I do. The difference is great enough that I'm thinking about pulling the Zagg off and replacing it with the Tech Armor.

Disclosure: she had to increase the screen sensitivity with the Tech Armor but that worked and anyway that tends to be a personal adjustment.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I had put a Tech Armor Ultraclear Ballistic Glass on my wife's S5 but all the accolades here about the Zagg Invisible Shield Glass' ability to resist fingerprints convinced me to buy the Zagg.

Well, you Zagg fans are way off base. After a day of use my Zagg glass protector is full of fingerprints and my wife's Tech Armor is not, and she uses her S5 way more than I do. The difference is great enough that I'm thinking about pulling the Zagg off and replacing it with the Tech Armor.

Disclosure: she had to increase the screen sensitivity with the Tech Armor but that worked and anyway that tends to be a personal adjustment.

Zagg Glass does resist fingerprints but of course they build up since its Glass. The difference with Zagg which even bare Gorilla Glass can't do is the oils wipe off on almost all shirt materials. Gorilla Glass didn't wipe off at all on my work shirt but does without effort with Zagg.

To each their own. But if you have to up the sensitivity for a protector than it may not be the best option either.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

TheRewardisCheese

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Just got one from LUVVITT and love it. Just switched over to glass with my iphone 5S prior to getting one for my GS5, and all I can say is I can never go back to plastic now. Glass just feels so premium.

vipercwf

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Zagg. I just noticed on their site in the help section though, that someone asked if it was waterproof and support answered that it wasn't. Has anyone that has the Zagg taken it in the water and does it have issues? My kids like taking underwater pictures in the pool so I was a little concerned about how the Zagg glass impacts that. Would all glass covers be the same in that way?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Zagg. I just noticed on their site in the help section though, that someone asked if it was waterproof and support answered that it wasn't. Has anyone that has the Zagg taken it in the water and does it have issues? My kids like taking underwater pictures in the pool so I was a little concerned about how the Zagg glass impacts that. Would all glass covers be the same in that way?

Zagg Glass sticks as well as any other glass protector. However, that's not to say the water won't mess with the adhesive. You may have to choose protection or water pictures, lol.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I have a Luvvitt glass screen protector and I've gotten it wet a few times (just light rinsing to clean the phone in the sink) without any issues. As far as I know, it wasn't advertised as either waterproof or not. I'd imagine that water could start to get under the edges and ruin the adhesive if I kept it submerged for too long though.

ashleymcguffries90

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

I recently switched from an iPhone 5s to an S5. Loving it so far! I had a tech armor on my iPhone and it worked great. Then I used a zagg. It works great also. I'm still waiting on Zagg to send me a replacement for my S5.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Regardless of which brand I use for the glass protector, I have no problem dunking my S5 in water even with the glass screen protector on it and it still sticks fine. Never came off. I currently use the Spigen Glas.Tr nano slim. 0.23 mm

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Zagg tempered glass screen protector put on and I love it! The edges are slightly rounded so it lays nicely on the phone and you can't even tell it's on there. It was $48 with installation at the mall. I know, rip off, but I hate putting these things on myself and after I drove out to the mall I figured might as well save my time and gas and just have them do it while I was there and make sure it was perfect. Very happy with mine. They said not to put a case on it for 48 hours which will be tough because my white S5 is super slick, feels like it will fly right out of my hand!

That stinks, best buy installed it on my phone for free
But the zagg invisible shield tempered glass screen protector is great

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That stinks, best buy installed it on my phone for free
But the zagg invisible shield tempered glass screen protector is great

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

As for his no case for 48 hours I find that to be false caution. I never had an issue. This is a dry install and as long as its out on right the adhesive will stick.

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone ever gotten a new phone, put a screen protector on, and then a short time later needed to get a replacement phone? Did you have to by a new screen protector? Or did they give you one?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone ever gotten a new phone, put a screen protector on, and then a short time later needed to get a replacement phone? Did you have to by a new screen protector? Or did they give you one?

I had to buy it. The good news is Zagg Glass will send a replacement for $5 and your return shipment is as cheap as putting on a stamp. It takes a few weeks though so I'd have a cheap plastic on standby.

photoman333

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Zagg Glass does resist fingerprints but of course they build up since its Glass. The difference with Zagg which even bare Gorilla Glass can't do is the oils wipe off on almost all shirt materials. Gorilla Glass didn't wipe off at all on my work shirt but does without effort with Zagg.

To each their own. But if you have to up the sensitivity for a protector than it may not be the best option either.

I replaced the Zagg with the Tech Armor and the difference in fingerprint sticking is huge and I didn't have to change my S5's sensitivity. Eclipse, you really should try one. I can rub my finger all over the TA protector and nothing sticks. The only way I got a print was to rub my nose on it (I'm not kidding).

I don't own stock in TA, I'm just telling you that you won't have to rub a TA protector on your shirt - you'll just keep working. Zagg says their surface is oleophobic but I'm telling you it's oleotropic. :)

Ted

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I replaced the Zagg with the Tech Armor and the difference in fingerprint sticking is huge and I didn't have to change my S5's sensitivity. Eclipse, you really should try one. I can rub my finger all over the TA protector and nothing sticks. The only way I got a print was to rub my nose on it (I'm not kidding).

I don't own stock in TA, I'm just telling you that you won't have to rub a TA protector on your shirt - you'll just keep working. Zagg says their surface is oleophobic but I'm telling you it's oleotropic. :)

Ted

I will look into it when I need a new protector. :)

motor51

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have purchased the ballistic glass from tech armor and it has started coming off. I have tried to contact them via email, phone, and filled out the replacement info. This has been going on for almost a week and a half and can't get anyone to respond or contact me back. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get them to contact me? The number I call goes to their answering service and they send tech armor an email.