Galaxy S5 Wireless charger bump case

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I Got the Official S5 Charger cover as reviewed on here
But Now I need a bump case as I have already had a very slight miss hap and got a scratch on the corner
But getting one to fit is not easy as its now fatter
the phone needs its water proofing and just putting a QI card in was not a option
I hate flip covers but may have to go with that
all I need is just a Gel cover but the one on ebay have backs on
Has any one any ideas

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Check out the Speck CandyShell Grip case.

I think it will meet all of your requirements.
I think it is great...

** Speck CandyShell Grip- Black/Slate:

The case is strong enough that I have a Neck Strap tied around the edge of the case where the headphone jack is.
No issues with it even looking like it will rip the case. it is very strong.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Check out the Speck CandyShell Grip case.

I think it will meet all of your requirements.
I think it is great...

** Speck CandyShell Grip- Black/Slate:

The case is strong enough that I have a Neck Strap tied around the edge of the case where the headphone jack is.
No issues with it even looking like it will rip the case. it is very strong.

Does this work with the OEM Samsung Qi Charging Cover?

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm also looking for cases that'll fit. The phone does have a slightly thicker back with the wireless charging cover installed. It comes up about even with the camera rather than being recessed. Anyone found any cases that'll fit?

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
it seems that the open back type are the way to go as there cheap i have ordered a couple of differant styles and i will report back

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
So I guess I took the caveman approach. I have a TPU case from Amazon (from Greatshield I believe) but this'll probably work with any TPU case. I figured that since bumper cases still fit, the width of the outer edge must not be the biggest issue, but rather stretching the material across the larger back of the phone. So I just used the scissors on my leatherman to cut out the middle portion of the back of the case, starting with the camera cutout and just working my way around. I wasn't really comfortable heating up the material and trying to stretch it. This way the case fits just about perfectly and still provides plenty of protection around the edges. The middle of the back is exposed of course, but it would be with a bumper case anyway.

Tried to put the modified case back on and it seems to work just fine now. Covers the bevel just as much as it did before. Certainly a lot cheaper than getting a new case for $35 from Best buy. Naturally an Otterbox would provide more protection, but I don't like how bulky they are.

I don't have a second camera to take pictures of the fit, will post pics later if I get a chance.

I also ordered a few Amzer bumper cases from Amazon, will report how they fit.

Full Back:

Back.jpg

Close up of the back:

back_closeup.jpg

Top front:

top_front.jpg

Bottom Front:

bottom_front.jpg

Last edited:

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Snap i did the same thing with a cheap one of ebay just as a temporary measure but mine is not as neatly cut as yours but it does prove that Bumper cases do fit

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Great minds, eh? I picked up two more cases to test. One is an Amzer bumper case, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0ATQ8S...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3696285 It doesn't fit at all. The case is a bumper case, but it's still a hybrid tpu/hard plastic combination, and the hard plastic prevents it from being able to fully attach.

The second is Amazon.com: [Drop Protection] Caseology Samsung Galaxy S5 Slim Fit Skin Cover [Shock Absorbent] TPU Bumper Case [Black] [Made in Korea] (for Verizon, AT&T Sprint, T-mobile, Unlocked): Cell Phones & Accessories as recommended on the XDA thread. This one I guess technically fits, but I think it could use a least a few slits on the back, it doesn't really feel fully secure. It's also very smooth, slippery TPU which isn't ideal.

So I think I'll be sticking with my caveman case, which is working just fine so far.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Prior to getting the Official S5 Wireless charging back cover, I had been using Spigen Slim Armor case. Due to the added dimension of the S5 when the Wireless Charging back cover is installed, sadly, the Spigen Slim Armor does not fit.
However, after doing some "searching", I have managed to find an aluminum bumper case called "G.lider". The one I have is designed by StaM in Korea

Here is the Youtube Video regarding to this type of case: galaxy note2 case g-lider pink 갤?Ÿ*?‹œ?…??Š?2 ?”퍼?€이?Š? - YouTube

Sorry if it's in Korean, but that's what I am using (of course in Black)
Here are some photos:

View attachment 122165

20140607_154137.jpg

Although the back does stick out a bit, but it fits perfectly fine and no additional mods needed to make it fit. Plus only the sides are protected (that that is what a bumper case is for).

So I guess a bumper case would definitely work with the wireless charging back cover.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Prior to getting the Official S5 Wireless charging back cover, I had been using Spigen Slim Armor case. Due to the added dimension of the S5 when the Wireless Charging back cover is installed, sadly, the Spigen Slim Armor does not fit.
However, after doing some "searching", I have managed to find an aluminum bumper case called "G.lider". The one I have is designed by StaM in Korea

Here is the Youtube Video regarding to this type of case: galaxy note2 case g-lider pink 갤?*시노트2 범퍼케이스 - YouTube

Sorry if it's in Korean, but that's what I am using (of course in Black)
Here are some photos:

View attachment 122165

View attachment 122167

Although the back does stick out a bit, but it fits perfectly fine and no additional mods needed to make it fit. Plus only the sides are protected (that that is what a bumper case is for).

So I guess a bumper case would definitely work with the wireless charging back cover.

Generally I believe Bumpers do stick out in the back a bit. This gives the back of the device protection. I may look into that as I'm highly considering a back cover. How much is the case and where do I buy it?

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Generally I believe Bumpers do stick out in the back a bit. This gives the back of the device protection. I may look into that as I'm highly considering a back cover. How much is the case and where do I buy it?

Yes, however that is if you use a regular non wireless charging back over. When you have wireless charging back cover on it, the cover does stick out so when setting the phone down, the back will be touching the ground instead of the bumper. Unless you set the front faced down when you set your phone down on the table.

20140607_164944.jpg

Sorry if the quality is bad, I'm taking it with my S4, and being that it's a black bumper it can be hard.

I'm pretty sure you can find something similar to this type online. The one I have is only sold in Korea and I happen to be in Korea for my vacation. I checked ebay and apparently there isn't this brand being sold. It's not on amazon either. It's roughly between 25 bucks to 30 bucks.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, however that is if you use a regular non wireless charging back over. When you have wireless charging back cover on it, the cover does stick out so when setting the phone down, the back will be touching the ground instead of the bumper. Unless you set the front faced down when you set your phone down on the table.

View attachment 122170

Sorry if the quality is bad, I'm taking it with my S4, and being that it's a black bumper it can be hard.

I'm pretty sure you can find something similar to this type online. The one I have is only sold in Korea and I happen to be in Korea for my vacation. I checked ebay and apparently there isn't this brand being sold. It's not on amazon either. It's roughly between 25 bucks to 30 bucks.

Okay, for that price its been said the Belkin Grip Bumper works with the cover too. I may have to check it out but dropping $30 for a case, $60 for a Tylt Vu and $30 for a charging cover has me on the fence.

Realistically the back cover shouldn't get damaged anyways. And even if it does its replaceable so its just like a case anyways.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay, for that price its been said the Belkin Grip Bumper works with the cover too. I may have to check it out but dropping $30 for a case, $60 for a Tylt Vu and $30 for a charging cover has me on the fence.

Realistically the back cover shouldn't get damaged anyways. And even if it does its replaceable so its just like a case anyways.

I agree, back cover can be replaced easily and they are inexpensive, and if the back cover is severely damage or doesn't work then I can always get a new back cover.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree, back cover can be replaced easily and they are inexpensive, and if the back cover is severely damage or doesn't work then I can always get a new back cover.

The Wireless Cover actually helps protect the phone better than a phone without it too. The camera is protected more so if you don't need a thick Otterbox case you're good to go. I never drop my phone but like protection on the corners/bezel just for scratches. So a bumper would be great. At the moment I'm using Diztronic so you know I'm not overly protective.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
OMG Phew i have ordered one of these from ebay to see if it fitted happy days but i am only concerned over the signal how a metal case will change that

***update***
I recived the Alum cover and it fits
But Boy is it slippy to hold
i also got a two coulour tpu and No
Avoid all TPU cases they don't fitt

Last edited:

mocmylov

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I ordered these cheap aluminum bumpers on eBay, they're similar to the other ones I posted a link to, and they are PERFECT
e8e3ugyj.jpg

yqajesy4.jpg

7esumu2a.jpg

ba5ejuqy.jpg

yqusa5yt.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk