Stumbled upon a review of a battery need suggestion

prevera

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
First time poster.
I currently have a Galaxy S5 as my work phone which has been awesome. I think most Galaxy phones look similar but so far, over all, this is a really good phone.
Now a larger battery would be a plus since it need to receive emails, and make a lot of calls during the day on the road.
Stumbled upon review of a 8200mah battery on youtube last night.
I've never seen anyone used extended battery and a total lack of understanding on it, is the price reasonable? What should be paid attention when using extended batteries?
Thank you in advanced.

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
8200mAh seems cool. While it is bloodcurdling and unsafe.
The original is only 2800mAh. Normally, the extended battery is double of standard. I think 4000mAh-5600mAh is acceptable. The higher is unreasonable. Why? Oversize capacity cause the battery strange struction, and a lot heat, even explosion. Secondly, it will prolong the period of screen showing the battery power. The third, it even affect your phone's reception in weak signal areas.
In general, I advise you select the extended battery no more than double of the original.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I used an extended battery on my HTC Thunderbolt, it was the only way to get 6 hours out of the stupid thing. :)

Anker, who has an excellent reputation as a battery maker, sells a 7500mAh battery for the Galaxy S5 for $40. That's a little more expensive per mAh than carrying around an external battery (usually you can get an external battery of about double that capacity for $40), but if you want to carry around just the phone and not mess with plugging it in to a battery pack, it's pretty reasonably priced and made by a reliable manufacturer.

The disadvantages of a larger battery are:

1. If you buy a bad one you might end up with a lot less than claimed capacity, it might not last very long, or there's a very small chance it might rupture and you're going to have a bad time. Stick with reliable, known suppliers like ZeroLemon, Anker, etc.
2. Your phone is going to be larger and weigh more. This will limit your selection of protective cases, and it might not fit in the same pocket/holster as your regular phone did.
3. On a lot of phones, antennas are located on the back cover. If your new battery does not replace those antennas, you might have problems maintaining signal, using GPS, NFC, etc. Again, stick with a known brand and you should be fine.

EDIT: Case in point, the Anker battery I was talking about says "waterproof, NFC and IR not supported" so you get triple the battery life but lose three features that may be important to you

http://smile.amazon.com/7500mAh-Extended-18-Month-Warranty-Included/dp/B00KL4CDXW/

ZeroLemon makes one even bigger, 8500mAh, and it keeps NFC capability, but you lose waterproofness and it costs more.

http://smile.amazon.com/Warranty-ZeroLemon-Extended-Protection-Protector/dp/B00LMJJOD2/

Advantage is obviously massively more battery life.

Personally I bought a 13,000mAh external battery pack. When I know I'll be away from power for an extended period, I pack it and a charging cable along. When I won't, I don't have a big heavy brick of a phone to carry around.

But I know plenty of people who have gone for extended battery packs, and if it's something you need and is worth the compromises in weight and features, it's a good option.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair