Questions for S5 Active owners:

BADFISH6

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Heys guys,

Im debating between purchasing an S5 active or regular S5 and have a couple questions. I know its unlikely any of you have had both phones, but I figure some of you may have had the chance to try both.

1. Battery life:
Both phones have identical hardware and batteries (with the exception of no fingerprint scanner or usb 3.0 on the active). Therefore both phones should have identical battery life. I have read reviews that suggest the battery life of the active is slightly worse. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

2. Charge time:
S5 has usb 3.0, active has 2.0. I believe 3.0 utilizes higher current. Is the charge time of the active significantly slower or even perceptibly slower?

3. Water resistance:
I know the S5 and active should be submersible to some extent. I have read reviews about the active getting wet (not even submerged) and it causing damage. Has anyone experienced this first hand?

4. Pocket dialing:
I also read a review talking about how the active's physical buttons caused pocket dialing regularly. Have any of you experienced this? For those of you that have, is there a solution besides using a pass code/pattern?

5. Temperature testing:
I plan to use this phone when snowboarding and hiking regularly. The phone will likely see single digit temps. I have had problems with every phone I have ever owned turning off in cold temps. Has anyone actually tested the extreme temperature range this phone claims it operates within?

Thanks in advance

AugustArborists

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I only have experience with the Active, but here are some observations:

1. Battery life is great, I'm on the phone at least 15-20 times a day with clients, use GPS all the time (I never turn off location), take photos of before and after my work, and if I'm in the car, bluetooth is on for music. Phone goes on at 0600, off at 2300, I still have at least 50% left. I have gone 2 full days between charges if I forget to plug it in, but I've never had a dead battery.

2. I plug mine in overnight, so I cannot answer this, I have no idea how long it takes to charge.

3. My phone has been wet many times, I work outside in all weather conditions. None of the "water damage" stickers have changed color, and the phone runs perfectly.

4. This was my one complaint. The power button is WAY to easy to push when you put the phone in your pocket, turning on the display, and leaving the phone open to booty-dialing, so choosing the pattern lock is almost mandatory. I solved this by getting a bumper case from the AT&T store. Sure, I overpaid at almost $16.00 for 0.40 cents of plastic and rubber, but I like it, and the charging port is still accessible. Best of all, the power button is much harder to push inadvertently.

5. As I said, I'm outdoors all day, the phone works at 105F just like it works at 22F, it snowed almost 2 inches here the other day, and yes, I did use the Active during a period that was close to white-out (I couldn't see across the street), and while the touchscreen doesn't work all that well when wet (although it was visible), the phone stayed dry inside.

I hope you end up with the phone that makes you happiest, in my particular case, the Active is the choice. The built-in ruggedness, slightly more camera lens protection, and better charging port design are all icing on the cake that is this phone.

Connie Litrenta

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Heys guys,

Im debating between purchasing an S5 active or regular S5 and have a couple questions. I know its unlikely any of you have had both phones, but I figure some of you may have had the chance to try both.

1. Battery life:
Both phones have identical hardware and batteries (with the exception of no fingerprint scanner or usb 3.0 on the active). Therefore both phones should have identical battery life. I have read reviews that suggest the battery life of the active is slightly worse. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

2. Charge time:
S5 has usb 3.0, active has 2.0. I believe 3.0 utilizes higher current. Is the charge time of the active significantly slower or even perceptibly slower?

3. Water resistance:
I know the S5 and active should be submersible to some extent. I have read reviews about the active getting wet (not even submerged) and it causing damage. Has anyone experienced this first hand?

4. Pocket dialing:
I also read a review talking about how the active's physical buttons caused pocket dialing regularly. Have any of you experienced this? For those of you that have, is there a solution besides using a pass code/pattern?

5. Temperature testing:
I plan to use this phone when snowboarding and hiking regularly. The phone will likely see single digit temps. I have had problems with every phone I have ever owned turning off in cold temps. Has anyone actually tested the extreme temperature range this phone claims it operates within?

Thanks in advance
I can't really say much to the battery difference. I too plug mine in every night. No complaints and no worse than most other smart phones

I've heard others complain about whether it's waterproof or not but you just don't know whether people put their covers back onproperly or had the charging plug covered like you should. There have certainly been those who had no problem with water and some have even taken pictures under water. I myself prefer not to tempt the gods. :)

I have never **** dialed with this phone but I would definitely agree that the power button gets hit several times a day putting in and out of things. It's an annoyance to be sure but there are ways around it. I absolutely love the look and feel of this phone. Very solid (definitely more so than the regular S5). I have no regrets over my purchase.