I have an s5 Active that is about 6 months old. One of the things I love about it is the battery life. At least it was until about a day ago. I noticed the battery was low, like 19%. I didn't plug it in right away because I usually have at least an hour before it gets lower than 15%. Less than 20 minutes later, it was at 10% and it went down to 7% by the time I got the charger and plugged it in. This was odd, but I didn't think much of it. I left it plugged in until I went to bed and it was at 99%. Normally, I turn my phone off at night but left it on because I was expecting a call rather early. I left it in sleep mode, but found it was off when I got up (thankfully, I didn't miss the call). When my boyfriend turned on the phone, it was at 10%. This has never happened before - the battery dying after being left on but inactive for 8 hours. I looked online for reasons why this would suddenly be happening and tried some of the tips, including restricting background data, and power save mode. Not only is it draining when it's not being used, when I go online, it drains even faster -nearly 10% in less than 45 minutes. I'm not streaming anything, just basic browsing. I haven't installed any new apps nor updated any in the past week. I'm a little perplexed and would like to know if anyone else has had a problem like this and what I can do about it. Thank you.
    12-16-2014 06:06 PM
    Constantly draining the battery that low gives you about 300-400 charges before the battery is totally dead (and it starts losing capacity after only a dozen cycles like that). If you fully charge a new battery, then use it until the phone tells you to recharge it, and repeat that twice more, then never let it get below 40% if you can help it, you'll get a LOT more life out of the battery. If you need more time than 60% of the battery can give you, carry a charged spare.

Two batteries and a charger that will charge both the phone and the battery out of the phone are only $23.
    12-16-2014 06:39 PM
    I don't normally let it drain all the way down on a regular basis. In fact, I usually keep it plugged in until it reaches a full charge, regardless of how low the battery may or may not be. Even still, my biggest concern is how rapid it started draining literally in the past 24 hours. For example, I put my phone down and let it sit, unused, for an hour. It went from 68% to 63% and since I've been online for the past 10 minutes it went from 63% to 60% (and down to 58% since I wrote this part). I've had several cell phones over the years and none of them have had battery drains like this and as suddenly as this. My boyfriend's phone, which is 2 years older, can be used all day long before it needs to be It wasn't like it just slowly stopped holding a charge as long as it used to. It just, yesterday, My boyfriend's mom and sister both have Samsungs, one is older and one is newer than ours. Neither one of them have a problem with their batteries draining as fast. My boyfriend's mom constantly lets hers die before she charges it and it's much older than ours. I shouldn't have to replace the battery within 6 months of purchase - no rechargable battery I've ever had has lost its ability to hold a charge so quickly.
    12-16-2014 07:46 PM
    Ok question, so if you just wanted to buy a new battery for the phone just overall, do you recommend going to samsung site or amazon. Mine was doing better but I had location off and would turn Bluetooth off when not using. Got a gear fit for Christmas so Bluetooth is always on now. 7 hours later from charging today my phone is now at 53%. I'm frustrated as this used to go at least 24 hours. Thinking because the myth we had always heard was let the battery drain a few times then you didn't have to. When we first got these phones in October we did just this as we had iphones before and did that. After reading many times on here that's not something you should do, I'm wondering if that didn't affect it as well.
    01-15-2015 04:36 PM
    I turned off background data and put it on battery saving mode and that really helped keep the battery from draining when we weren't using it. I do notice the battery drains a lot faster when I'm online, but nothing like that one power drain. I'm not ready to buy a new battery for the phone because the phone is less than a year old...although if and when I do decide or need to get a new battery, I'll probably look at Samsung and then see if I can find it on Amazon for a better price. I wouldn't go with a generic battery though.
    01-15-2015 09:51 PM
    Buy a new battery off Ebay. Way cheap.
    02-21-2015 03:15 PM
    Mine is starting to drain alot faster too I was told from the people at AT&T to call Samsung since my phone is still under warranty they would send me another one but I have yet to do so but plan on giving it a shot

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-23-2015 09:43 PM
    Ok so my phone battery is dying really fast too.. and the thing is power saving mode isn't working very well.. I mean don't get me wrong it works a little but I'm on power saving and it's at 83% and I literally took it off the charger 10 minutes ago at 100% and u wasn't doing anything that would drain the battery so fast. And I'm on power saving moDE Im confused!
    03-21-2015 08:11 AM