App for Battery Usage

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone suggest a good application to show me what is using all the battery life on my S5 Active? I've had the phone since last July and up until about a week or 2 ago, the battery life has been pretty decent. However, lately I'll only get about 7 hours before it is below 15% from being fully charged....AND this is only texting a few times and one call. I have a suspicion there's an app that's causing this but, I'd really like to figure out which one is is and get rid of it! :D

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's 7 months of discharging the battery to 15% - that alone could have caused the problem. Lithium batteries don't last long if discharged past about 40%. (The ideal charge spot for longest battery life is 50%.)

The Battery listing in Settings will show you what percentage of battery use is being taken by each app with an appreciable amount of usage. (You really don't care about an app that's using 0.01% of the drain.) Most likely, though, you're going to find about normal drain from the usual apps. The screen, Android System and Android OS will usually be the largest consumers. If the signal from the tower is a bit weak, Phone Standby may also show up near the top. (Remember, the percentages are percent of power being used, not percent of total battery power. If 5% of the battery capacity is being used and an app is using 10%, it's using 0.5% of the battery capacity - 5% of 10%.)

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I took a screen shot of the battery settings showing usage (included here) . Yes screen and operating system. But noticed Google play services was up there. Is that normal?

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-30-22-03-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-22-03-31.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 14

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So downloaded gsam and it shows about the same thing except media is using be most of the battery according to it. Guess it's time for a new battery. Sigh...

Posted via Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Media battery drains sometimes are related to a corrupt file in an SD card. If you have one take it out and see if that makes a difference.

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ahhhh I did not even think about it being the SD card. I store all pictures on it (and some apps) and I had noticed that going through pictures was very slow. I will try that!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar