Why does my home button go to Google Now after AT&T Galaxy S5 Active update to 4.4.4?

dChild21

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Home button goes to Google Now after AT&T Galaxy S5 Active update to 4.4.4

Ever since AT&T update a couple of weeks ago my Galaxy S5 Active's buttons have been misbehaving. The home button will take me to Google Now sometimes. Double clicking it works some times other times it doesn't. A restart fixes the issue for a few hours. This is really getting annoying!! Any fix out there??? Anyone tried calling AT&T yet?

Tshapiro1000

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Home button goes to Google Now after AT&T Galaxy S5 Active update to 4.4.4

Having the same problem. Super annoying. If this is happening by design I will get rid of this phone.

BettysNephew

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Mine did that immediately after the update. I wasn't sure if it was a feature "improvement" of not, but several other weird issues also occurred like texts showing up hours after they were sent and conventional calls just not going through although I was showing good signal strength. Went back to old school mode and shut it down and took the battery out , -HARD BOOT- like we used to have to do on the old IBM DOS based computers. Left the battery out for about ten minutes then reassembled and restarted. Everything seemed to work after that. Don't know if it will help you, but it's worth a try at least. Report back either way to let us know the out come, but it seemed to cure my S5A ills.

Tabicatinthehat

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

This has been happening to me since the update. The double clicking seems to help and restarting helps for a little while, but this is so annoying. this is my first Android phone, and I loved it right up until this. I suppose I should blame att? I hope they fix it soon.

Tabicatinthehat

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Just wanted to add that in addition to the home button, my camera now doesn't have the option to use the volume buttons to take pictures. I'm sure anyone with a galaxy s5 knows how much of a pain that is. I downloaded Open Camera, and it seems to work with it. I'd like my native camera to be the way it used to be, though. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Open Camera is a much better camera app anyway, so stay with t. (You can lock white balance, exposure and focus, among other things every camera app should be able to do.)

BettysNephew

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Doing a button reset is not as thorough on kicking the computer back to it's full reboot state that happens when the phone is shut down and the battery removed to let the power collapse completely. Again, be sure to leave the battery out for a few minutes to let all the power dissipate before restarting. Give it a try and see if it might get things back in line for you. If not you can always visit the nice folks at your AT&T phone center.

Joseph Grago

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site

Same issue, i thought it was my sons fault for biting my phone all the time lol (hes 18 months). Deff need 2 get this fixed.

traz01

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site

go to Apps -> Settings -> Default Applications -> Home . I had to change mine to TouchWiz home which seems to have solved the same issue.

mbwells73

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site

I've been having the same problem. When I called at&t, they sent me a new phone only to have it start again on the 2nd one.

CBonney

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

go to Apps -> Settings -> Default Applications -> Home . I had to change mine to TouchWiz home which seems to have solved the same issue.
Mine does the same thing. It may be a feature. I found that a double press take me back to the home screen.

gotts2go

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why does my home button go to Google Now after AT&T Galaxy S5 Active update to 4.4.4?

I was already set to TouchWiz Home. I cleared that as a default action and reinstated it and the Home button is now working fine! :)

Corbryant

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why does my home button go to Google Now after AT&T Galaxy S5 Active update to 4.4.4?

"I was already set to TouchWiz Home. I cleared that as a default action and reinstated it and the Home button is now working fine!"

Nice. Thank you, this worked for me as well. God, the last week has been absolutely annoying with this crap.

Corbryant

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

Nice. Thank you, this worked for me as well. God, the last week has been absolutely annoying with this crap.

I spoke too soon. It's back to opening Google Search if I tap the home button normally. If I'm quick to stab at it, things are fine - but WTF?!

So I just installed Swipe Launch Disabler from Hairy Robot. Fixed the problem!

Install, run the app, then press the home button. Select Swipe Launch Disabler and Always, and you're set.

PDXGlenn

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site

I did the "hard reboot" by removing the battery for a couple of minutes. That resolved the issue of pressing the home button and ending up in Google Now. As a bonus, my stock SMS app was not sending text messages (but receiving ok). After the reboot, this issue was fixed as well. Other than this, I have not noticed any difference between 4.4.2 and 4.4.4. I have Galaxy S5. I hope AT&T resolves some of the reported issues iwht Lollipop before pushing it out.

BettysNephew

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Many of you are likely not old enough to remember the really early DOS computer days. Whenever a program was installed you had to do a hard reboot to get everything working after the install. Later on a restart became adequate but if that didn't do the job the old power down trick generally got things going again. If you didn't power down, the update would not actually install and just sat in memory until the computer was powered down to activate it. Hope those days are not returning, but it appears at least it worked this time. If you are still having problems try it and see if it will get you back into action. It can't hurt anything to try.

Merlin Starwind

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site

I had to go to Google settings and disable Google Now. You can find Google in the App drawer. Still had to reset the phone to make the Home button go back to normal, it kept trying to open Google Search until I did the reset.

Tinkabell68

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site

I have the s5 Active and having the same issue with the home button going to google now, plus the wifi keeps kicking me out even though the smart network swith is off. Ive taken my phone to AT&T twice & called them. Tried several different things that seem to fix the problem for a couple of days but then the problems start again. They told me to call samsung who walked me through all the resets that have already been done. Seems to be working for now. All i can say is that if it acts up again someone better get me a new phone that's not an s5 or s5 Active. At&T has said it's Samsung issue & Samsung says it's AT&T. Samsung also denies any knowledge of these issues.

Lori Lindsay

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Ever since AT&T update a couple of weeks ago my Galaxy S5 Active's buttons have been misbehaving. The home button will take me to Google Now sometimes. Double clicking it works some times other times it doesn't. A restart fixes the issue for a few hours. This is really getting annoying!! Any fix out there??? Anyone tried calling AT&T yet?

BadFrad

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay