08-06-2015 08:19 AM
71 123
tools
    The updates are put together by the device manufacturer, not your cell carrier. So it is a Samsung Issue. Happens whether you have att, verizon, sprint, etc.
    02-27-2015 07:20 PM
    I deleted my google now update history. and it fixed it for about a day. How in this day and age do these things happen. Secondly how is there still not a fix for this, especially not something from At&t or Samsung. This crap is so friggen annoying. I straight up want to smash my phone with a sledgehammer.
    03-02-2015 04:52 PM
    Hey,

I did this, and I thought it fixed it....but it didn't. I am about to throw my phone out the window. This **** is beyond ridiculous.
    03-02-2015 05:01 PM
    I've been having this issue and tried all the suggestions - remove battery, restart, change launcher options etc... Nothing worked. I was finally so frustrated that I flashed my phone completely (Settings - Backup and Reset - Factory data reset) and it seems to have done the trick. I've been running Google Now for several days now on my reset phone and the home button has been working great. Also the laggy speed has improved considerably. I reinstalled all the apps I had before and its still running well. Drastic action and a huge pain but it works!
    03-03-2015 07:55 AM
    I've been having this issue and tried all the suggestions - remove battery, restart, change launcher options etc... Nothing worked. I was finally so frustrated that I flashed my phone completely (Settings - Backup and Reset - Factory data reset) and it seems to have done the trick. I've been running Google Now for several days now on my reset phone and the home button has been working great. Also the laggy speed has improved considerably. I reinstalled all the apps I had before and its still running well. Drastic action and a huge pain but it works!
    Yes, I'm afraid to say that sometimes a reset is the only solution. It's a pain in the **** but if it fixes my problem, I'll live with it. My daughter had this problem with the home button so she stopped at AT&T because I didn't have a clue. Don't know what they did but they fixed it. I tend to go back and forth with my phones so wasn't really keeping up with this. Now I'm back on my Active and apparently my cousin never updated it because as soon as I turned it on, it was looking to do it. I haven't experienced any problems with the keys so far so maybe they fixed the update. Sure am hoping so. Glad to be back on my Active though.
    03-03-2015 09:32 AM
    Ok I spoke too soon. Even after wiping my phone the issue returned!!! The only thing I can do aside from rooting that seems to make this manageable is change from TouchWiz to Google Launcher. The home button still takes me to Google Now sometimes but if you hit it again it takes you to the home screen. This is a crappy solution as I like TouchWiz better but that's all I got. AT&T pretty much ruined my otherwise perfect phone! I hate Apple so I won't be switching but I won't blame anyone that does!
    03-03-2015 10:25 PM
    I think I've got it. Next time it pops up, go to settings-phone search-and unclick all the buttons. Worked so far for me when nothing else did.
    03-04-2015 05:01 PM
    I know it's to late for some, but I never ever update AT&T's bloatware. Just browsers & apps or Motorola firmware updates.

Posted via Radio Shack iPhone central app
    03-05-2015 03:57 PM
    Yup still having this issue.. .Annoying as all get out!! Did speak with AT&T and the rep advised me to wipe the cache partition... yup..worked for a while until it got bogged down again... smh... so I've wiped the cache partition 3 times now... came across this forum and glad to see it's not just me... I've now tried the google app update uninstall... guess I'll see how that works...
    03-05-2015 05:16 PM
    Same issue here. Ever since the Kitkat update on my S5 my home button refuses to work properly. Other than hitting my back button multiple times or killing my tasks every single time it refuses to budge from the Google Now page. I've reboot, reset, wiped the cache, switched launchers...I'm losing my mind here.
    03-05-2015 11:51 PM
    Can anyone tell me whether this is affecting only the AT&T Actives? If it only affects the Actives I might consider going and complaining and just getting a regular S5.
    03-06-2015 11:04 AM
    This is what I did and it solved the problem for me:

Apps>Google Settings>Search & Now>Phone Search>Remove all the check boxes.

Now the Home button takes me to my home screen, nowhere else!

PS: I own the S5 Active.
    03-06-2015 12:49 PM
    I removed my battery for about an hour and when I restarted, it was fine.
    03-06-2015 04:15 PM
    Mine has been doing the same thing.. Almost every time I would try to push the home button to get out of something it would bring up the google search thing.. my husband thought it was me pushing the button too hard or too many times.. I actually disabled the google search app itself..so it doesn't go there anymore, but it will just sit there at vibrate at me sometimes 3 or 4 times before it actually goes home. I went to ATT today, and they at first said it was my fault, until they started doing it when they pressed home.. They told me to call customer service to see if they could trouble shoot it.. otherwise I would have to make a warranty claim on it and have them send me another one....
    03-07-2015 11:06 AM
    I have done everything no luck. I am going to throw this phone out. My daughter has same phone but no issues at all, not sure why I do and she does not. I have disabled everything and still nothing! HELP
    03-10-2015 07:07 AM
    Uninstalling Google now launcher app fixes it!!!......i take that back, it's halfway fixed. Still popping up Google now on short tap half the time. This is driving me nuts!

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-14-2015 12:32 PM
    I have a regular S5 and it's acting up too.
    03-14-2015 10:41 PM
    I just found this forum after update with same issue. Turning off your phone and removing the battery for 5 minutes WILL fix your home button issue. It worked for me. If not for you call support.
    03-17-2015 07:43 PM
    I did that. Let's see if it works. Otherwise, if I'm forced to keep figuring shet out, i'll switch to another phone. Thx for the advice.
    03-20-2015 01:05 AM
    03-20-2015 01:06 AM
    Joined SPECIFICALLY for this issue. Since the new update, my Galaxy S5 Active has been so glitchy. I have the same Google home button issue (restarting the phone keeps it away for a few hours at best), texts sometimes take DAYS to come through or be sent, and Google Play is laggy and freezes.

I assumed my phone was a piece of crap, so I went through the warranty process and AT&T sent me a fresh Galaxy S5 Active. After using it for a few hours? SAME problems! So this is definitely not a hardware problem, it's the OS. I had a brand new phone, no 3rd party apps, and the issues were still rampant. Samsung needs to get this sorted out ASAP. I'm missing important text messages because of this!
    03-20-2015 02:27 PM
    I also joined specifically for this issue. It happened immediately after the 4.4.4 update from ATT on my regular S5. I had a workaround that I've been using which is to lock-unlock-home that had a 90% success rate until a couple of days ago when no matter what I did it went to google.

I actually did a webchat, got to a "manager" who called me on my phone then said she could not validate my account and couldn't speak to me because I'm not the primary account holder. This is the second time this has happened to me on ATT. I'm sure it happens on other carriers but I had to mention it. Called #611 and got a manager who immediately validated me and said he had no idea why that would happen and I have two choices on my next plan...

1. Pay the remainder of the phone off, I've made 6 payments so that's about $450, then go to another phone.
    2. Pay a $195 early upgrade fee, turn the phone back in, and then go to another phone.

The second manager said he apologizes profusely but I'm in a contract and there's little he's allowed to do as a manger, even though I've been a customer for 10 years. It's just absolutely so depressing to pay these people so much money for a defective software update and get this kind of service. Just wanted to share my experience.
    03-22-2015 11:57 AM
    I've seen a lot of people have the same issue and it appears that several, myself included, have had success with the remove the battery scenario. If you try this, take it out and leave it out for at least fifteen minutes. This gives the capacitors inside the phone time to fully discharge and force everything to base state. A couple of my friends with S5A were doing this but thought all you had to do was take it out and put it back in again. No bueno kids, you must leave it out for a time to let all the circuits discharge. Longer may even be better, like over night. All of the phones that I have done this to have recovered after doing it this way and none have reverted to the issue. Give it a try but be sure to give it the time required to reset all of the voltage levels.
    03-22-2015 02:00 PM
    Mine and my daughter's phone did same thing. After reading all of the replies. I just did the hard reboot. It worked! Hope it stays that way
    03-22-2015 06:06 PM
    Ever since AT&T update a couple of weeks ago my Galaxy S5 Active's buttons have been misbehaving. The home button will take me to Google Now sometimes. Double clicking it works some times other times it doesn't. A restart fixes the issue for a few hours. This is really getting annoying!! Any fix out there??? Anyone tried calling AT&T yet?
    I tried turning it off, taking out the battery, and making sure the home button was fully plugged in (lift up the tiny cover on the left of the battery to gain access to it). Seems to have helped for now.
    03-23-2015 08:49 PM
71 123