Upgrade/update to Lollipop question(s)

tigerinexile

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all.

I'm up in Canada, but I just got an AT&T branded S5 Active for my work phone. It's running KitKat 4.4.4 and doing very well on one of the LTE carriers up here.

I have a question or two from a non-newbie to Android (although I'm on iOS more, I own Nexus devices), but a newbie to Samsung's flagships and to AT&T's bootloaders.

1. Is the Lollipop update worth doing? Does it improve the experience, break it, or stay relatively the same?

2. If I try out Lollipop and decide I don't care for it, can I easily downgrade OS versions back to KitKat, the way I was able to easily roll back my Nexus 7 tablet to the KitKat factory image when Lollipop broke it? (Using Android Studio or Samsung Kies or some such desktop software.)

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I had no issue with my AT&T S5 update. Some Sprint users did. I found that my phone ran much better, a lot snappier and seemed to handle RAM better.

I've only rolled back a kernel when I rooted, but in the S5 forums there is a thread to roll it back to KitKat. The S5 Active should all be the same, just making sure you have the correct files for the Active.

Now u used the AT&T S5 on the AT&T network, so I can only speak as far as that.

Great improvements? No. I do like the lighter colors and there are some features I like, but it isn't a huge change.

tigerinexile

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Great.

Saw the horror stories on other threads, but I figured that it had an overrepresentation of people who either (1) don't manage their phones terribly well or (2) just had bad luck.

I may have to update using the desktop software because I'm abroad, but I think I'm leaning toward doing it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Great.

Saw the horror stories on other threads, but I figured that it had an overrepresentation of people who either (1) don't manage their phones terribly well or (2) just had bad luck.

I may have to update using the desktop software because I'm abroad, but I think I'm leaning toward doing it.

It is some of the above and also some carrier updates issues. Some more issues than others.

Last edited:

tigerinexile

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it's irrelevant for me -- AT&T's servers are unwilling to connect with me up here. :)

I'll have to download my updates when I go on a shopping trip Stateside!