Just got an OTA update from AT&T to Android 5.0. Any suggestions on what I should do?

rubrnekr

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
**Okay, I'm just realizing that I'm apparently way behind and this has been coming out for a while now. You can disregard this if you'd like and I'll just go do some homework, like I should have done before posting.... Sorry...**

So I didn't even know there was an Android 5.0, but my phone just finished updating a few minutes ago. I'm absolutely terrible (!!!) with computers and operating systems and such, so I'm clueless as to what kinds of things you techies would immediately do after an update.
What kinds of things should I turn off or remove for both my privacy and safety?
What bull**** bloatware can I / should I delete?
How do I prevent any new spying?
And yada yada yada.... (I'm not even sure what questions to ask)

Being that I'm not a techie, I don't use a lot of complicated apps, sync my phone to any other electronics, or any of that kind of stuff. I use it to make phone calls, listen to online music stations, take pictures, cruise occasional social networks, and that's pretty much it. I'd love to get rid of all of the other crap if I could and still have a phone that worked...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!

Rich F2

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
After the update, some things may be moved, or out of order. Just go through your phone, see if all your apps, and photos, , contacts, and stuff , is still there. After my update. S5, 5.0, my phone acted buggy, it was only for a couple days. Now it is ok.

Posted via the Android Central App

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully rubrnekr is seeing the 5.1.1 update notifications by now. I'd do:
  • make sure under Accounts under Google everything is set to Sync
  • make a full backup of your phone with Samsung Smart Switch
  • make a full backup of all your text messages with SMS Backup and Restore
  • export your Contacts as a VCF file
  • connect a USB cable and copy all your photos, music, ringtones, etc. off your phone, namely any DCIM folder off your Storage or Card.
Then do a Factory Reset. Then upgrade to 5.1.1.

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
So is a factory reset what I'm gonna need to do to get the 5.1 update? I've tried 3 times. Each time it spends a fricking hour downloading it, only to fail immediately when the update starts. Getting frustrated...

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
So is a factory reset what I'm gonna need to do to get the 5.1 update? I've tried 3 times. Each time it spends a fricking hour downloading it, only to fail immediately when the update starts. Getting frustrated...

aaaaaand that's what it took.... Did a factory reset last night after posting this. Not only did it download faster, it worked first try. Luckily, I was smart enough (rare) to copy everything from my SD Card onto my PC, because when I reinserted it after the update, not only did it not recognize the apps on the card, it wiped it clean, WITHOUT asking me! But I will say it's running smoother...

MIke Stanton 1346

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I too had install problems. My AT&T store refused to even try to help. I was able to find a Samsung guy at Best Buy. They installed the update in about 10 minutes and no apps, photos or data was lost.

Posted via the Android Central App

shadavis08

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had to wipe my phone as well but I'm going to have to same issue if any more updates come out. If you try to run the update again it same message it was giving before when it wouldn't update. Crappy phone and if your on lollipop or later there are no root options as of yet. I wish I hadn't updated to lollipop and stayed on kk if so I could root my phone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt