Is my Samsung S5 active compatible with marshmallow? Do I have to wait on Samsung or ATT?

Helperalert

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Every time I try to update my phone, it fails before it even starts. Is it even compatible? Are they're requirements that I've missed or do I have to delete apps on my phone?

As you can tell, I have a Samsung S5 Active that is currently running lollipop

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any system modifications, like root? Anything dive in there could compromise the OTA process.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe Samsung has released Marshmallow for any of it's phones yet, and certainly not to AT&T yet. I believe the schedule is that the Note 5 will get it sometime in December (by get it, I mean AT&T will get it from Samsung), followed by the S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge + in January, and then the S5, S5 Active, etc. in February. This is according to an article I read on sammobile.

Ihazterbo

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I keep getting I have an update 640MB doesn't say what type of update. It downloads and then when rebooting to complete and I guess download the last leg of it...boom fail and reboot and says the same thing, I have to wait 24 to check if there is a new update. I've been doing this for 3 weeks now. How can I get this update to actually...update?

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Every time I try to update my phone, it fails before it even starts. Is it even compatible? Are they're requirements that I've missed or do I have to delete apps on my phone?

As you can tell, I have a Samsung S5 Active that is currently running lollipop
There are four models of Samsung S5 Active (find your model here):

• S5 Active SM-G870A - AT&T
  • S5 Active SM-G870W - Bell Canada
  • S5 Active SM-G870D - DoCoMo Japan
  • S5 Active SM-G870F - International/Europe
If it's AT&T, we just got 5.1.1 last month, so 6.0 is probably 8-10 months away.

Appropriate image:

samsung_carriers.jpg

Last edited:

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
To get 5.1.1 I had to factory reset my phone. Seems this is a common problem, I've mentioned this in 4 threads now, lol. If you have an SD card, back it up to your PC first. Mine got wiped clean after the update ( pulled the card before, put it back in after), and the system never asked permission, just did it. Luckily I backed up! Not sure why this update is screwing with so many people...

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I took screen shots of my app drawer pages before resetting, to help me remember what all I had. Then save those to the SD card, then to the computer. Then you can pull it up and go through the "all" under "my apps" in Google Play. Reload the ones you want/use, and you're good to go after a hard restart (not to be confused with another factory reset, lol)

Edit:
One more tip - Go through and disable all the bloatware before you allow Google Play to update any apps pre-installed. That way you're not wasting time and memory updating things you're not going to use

Joe Volpe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking 4 marshmallow.. I guess I should be content with 5.1.1 4 now.. although 4 some reason the most recent security patch (august) caused my phone 2 say "kernel" in red (upper left portion of my screen) & then locked me out with this⚠symbol saying software not recognized by AT&T detected. Turn off & bring 2 att store. It also says "custom" with an unlocked symbol now @ startup! WTF? I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM with OTA b4 this and have DUG DEEP 2 see if there's been any custom software installed. I found ZERO INDICATORS. knox is not tripped. No sideloaded updates. I got 5.1.1 FROM AT&T!! I had a tech look at it & said he can't find ANYTHING! I dwnlded app from play store that gives me log access NOTHING! Can any1 help me? Thanks. I can't afford another phone & REALLY want marshmallow update WHEN EVER it's available for att s5active.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21