Sudden issues with Galaxy S5 Active SD card slot and music app

RW250

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm just gone to take a shower, and then when I came back I had several problems with it all of the sudden;

- Would not read sd card
- Frequent soft locks, including when shutting down (the screen doesn't update but it still registers the visual touch cursor that I have enabled)
- Music app and soundalive kept crashing every 10 seconds after trying to open it
- When it didn't crash, I tried to play music on the device, it played for 2 seconds but then I heard a loud static noise, then neither the headphone jack nor the speakers can output audio
- Other apps crash too, but not with a message. Instead it just goes back to the lock screen

The card itself still works on another phone with a micro sd slot (thank god), and the headphones as well. Everything but the music app still seems to work, except I get interrupted by crash messages every 10 seconds so it's now practically useless

Possible reasons:

- Broken sd card slot causing errors. The sim slot directly underneath seems to still work. It's soldered onto the motherboard so a motherboard replacement may be needed if this is the problem
- Some sort of corruption in the music apk or elsewhere. I tried to uninstall updates and reinstall but it didn't work. I sure hope I don't need a factory reset to fix it, but I'm currently backing up everything just in case

Galaxy S5 Active, Android 6.0, not rooted

RW250

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
The music and everything works on the other phone yes

I just tried safe mode, everything works there, and then everything worked outside of it for a few minutes and then the sd card disconnected and got that static noise again

This time I'm getting weird buzzing noises every time I move something on the screen

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it works in Safe Mode suggests that some 3rd party app you installed is causing the instability. Unfortunately, there's no quick and easy way to pinpoint the culprit, unless you have some suspicion to begin with -- you may just have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

RW250

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Update on this situation:

The above was only a partial fix, the sd card still disconnects once a day, and restarting the phone in safe mode temporarily fixes it. The music app doesn't crash every 10 seconds

This time the LTE started to fail as well, so I think the sd card area really is broken. The sim card is too big for my other phone so I'm outta service until I trade for a nano sim 😭

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy