Another battery dilemma

Penthor

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I need to replace my S5 Active battery. I bought a highly rated battery off Amazon and it died in a few months and is swollen up considerably. When looking at the reviews on Amazon I am not filled with confidante about getting a good battery. Does anyone know of a reliable source for a good battery? TIA

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. That phone hasn't been made in years, and that means the battery market is equally dead. Any "new" battery that's still for sale is most likely old stock that has already deteriorated to some extent. I wouldn't trust any of them to be as good as a fresh new OEM battery, but I would still replace it just to get that swollen battery out of the phone and properly disposed of (it could soon become a safety hazard).

Do not throw it in the regular trash or self serve drop off battery recycling boxes, as it could be punctured easily and cause a fire at any time. Make sure to take it to an authorized battery recycling center and let them know it's swollen before dropping it off so they can take the proper precautions. You should also carry it in a sturdy container to prevent accidental punctures.[/I)

You may get lucky and get a good battery next time. If not, it is still better than a swollen battery. In that case, I'd look into a battery case or a separate battery pack.

Battery case pro: It's a case with a battery inside it to keep your phone charged for a seamless look.

Con: These may have some old stock issues as well, you'll lose access to the USB port (at least while the case is plugged in), and you'll be limited on looks/protection offered by the case. These aren't very popular and may not be available for your phone.

Battery pack pro:
Commonly sold universal designs, so fresh stock shouldn't be an issue as long as you stick with well known brands. Can get these in multiple capacities based on your needs.

Con: You'll have to tether your phone to it to charge, which may pose some problems with on the go use (even if just an aesthetics issue).

Of course, given the age of the phone, it may simply be time to consider upgrading it. I wouldn't be surprised if you're having performance issues, plus Samsung no longer supports it with OS and security updates.

Penthor

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback Mooncatt. Good advice all around. I was afraid that was what I was going to get. The phone is still performing great, no issues that I have noticed. The original battery still lasts a full day if I don't use the phone, but ofcourse that isn't practical. I may have to upgrade my phone, but first I think I would like to try my luck on a "new" battery. The dilemma is finding a reputable source. I'll take my chances if the vendor will sell me an unused battery. I just need to find a reputable vendor. Who do you trust when buying batteries? TIA

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The best place would be to check Samsung's online store. If they have it, that's your best bet for warranty reasons. After that, I'd look to Amazon and see if you can find an official Samsung battery. I don't know enough about the third party batteries to know which ones are reputable for your phone (it seems to be different for every phone, so I don't bother keeping close track), but hopefully someone with more knowledge on that will stumble into this thread.

Best Buy's online store may be a good place to check, but kinda doubt you'll find one there. I would avoid sites like Wish, eBay, Craigslist, etc, as those seem to get most of the counterfeit stuff.

Penthor

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again Mooncatt. I've been on Amazon and Samsung's websites, and I agree, those are the most likley places to find the best batteries. Thanks for your advice, i'm off to give my old phone the best chance to keep on keeping on. I really like this S5.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have run into exactly that issue with Note 4, there are no working OEM batteries at all, even the new ones have been sitting around for 5 years and have considerably lost capacity (LI-ion loses capacity even without use).

Your best bet is aftermarket.. your favorite online auction.

ZeroLemon used to make a nice 8500 mah extended battery but don't think it will fit the "active" model.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci