SD card stopped working, now asks to be formatted?

A

AC Question

SD card stopped working, now asks to be formatted.

Hi.

I hope you can help. I bought a 32gb samsung micro sd card for my Samsung galaxy s5 mini last year. I put a lot of pictures on it, including ones I had not backed up since March.

Last weekend the phone went really slow and error messages came up for apps stored on the sd card e.g. Facebook not found.

I restarted my phone and suddenly all my memory card folders in my gallery were gone and the phone asked me to format the sd card.

I purchase a card reader to try to salvage the data... It too is asking me to format the card.

I tried to use cmd to fix the card. But it's telling me it's RAW.... is there any way to fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: SD card stopped working, now asks to be formatted.

Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, the card sounds like it failed. If you insert it into your computer, can the computer detect it at all? If so, try running chkdsk: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

If the computer can't read it, then the data will be very hard to retrieve--you'd probably have to bring it to a data recovery service, which usually charges a lot of money. Remember that SD cards do not last forever, and can fail unexpectedly--important photos and other data should be backed up to a computer hard drive or to the cloud on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs