How to root your Samsung Galaxy S5

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Got that brand new shiny Galaxy S5 yet? Want to root it? Of course you do. :)

Here's a quick run down of the models that have been rooted so far. Don't give up on the others just yet, the phone's new and people need time to learn how to break it open like a kinder egg. We'll have plenty of discussion about what to do after you've rooted as well. That's sorta what goes on in the Rooting, ROMS and Hacks forums.

Current as of 04/11/2014:

We'll add more devices to the list once they're broken open!

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey can we have an easy list of instructions on how to root the s5? I'm particularly interested in rooting the Sprint s5. I see many guys have done it already but I'm still waiting for the clear and easy to follow instructions. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bimmerdriver

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Here is a link to a thread about CF-Auto-Root. If you go to the website, it lists the versions of the phone that are supported. Note that rooting the phone will cause the knox warranty void status to trip permanently (unless someone finds a fix). When the knox warranty void status is tripped, the knox software will no longer work.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Here is a link to a thread about CF-Auto-Root. If you go to the website, it lists the versions of the phone that are supported. Note that rooting the phone will cause the knox warranty void status to trip permanently (unless someone finds a fix). When the knox warranty void status is tripped, the knox software will no longer work.

And what does that really mean? What is the knox warranty and the repercussions for voiding it? Same thing with the knox software, how does it not work anymore impact the phone? I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus where I didn't have to worry about any of this, but I'm getting anxious to root to restore some apps and functionality I've been used to that I'm without right now.

bimmerdriver

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
And what does that really mean? What is the knox warranty and the repercussions for voiding it? Same thing with the knox software, how does it not work anymore impact the phone? I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus where I didn't have to worry about any of this, but I'm getting anxious to root to restore some apps and functionality I've been used to that I'm without right now.
I'm in the process of catching up on several very long threads over at xda as well as reading on the Samsung knox website. So far, it seems that if the knox flag is tripped, it's irreversible and results in the warranty being void as well as the knox framework not working. If you had no intentions of using knox, then no problem. however, if you have a problem and require repair, Samsung may not repair the phone under warranty. It's not clear if the warranty policy applies everywhere, because some countries apparently do not allow the manufacturer to cancel the warranty for rooting the phone.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Any problems with the Sprint root? I had mt s3 rooted, and really REALLY want to root this, but there's a little piece of me saying don't do it. I dunno why I'm so skeered this time, lol

bimmerdriver

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Any problems with the Sprint root? I had mt s3 rooted, and really REALLY want to root this, but there's a little piece of me saying don't do it. I dunno why I'm so skeered this time, lol
Same here, really would like to remove the bloatware, but don't want to trip the knox flag. One thing to consider is that the rom your phone shipped with may not have knox, in which case, you can root without irrevocably tripping the flag. However, if you allow the ota and you get a knox bootloader, you're screwed. I just picked up my phone today and almost right away it tried to do an ota, which I stopped. I'll check to see if the phone has a knox bootloader or not. If not, maybe will try to root it.

ssandler77

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I see in the XDA forums that there has been a root for all S5's. Does that mean it would work for verizon?

I am coming from and Iphone and was wondering if there is/going to be a 1 touch root method or does all rooting have to be done by ADB?

juniorr7710

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I rooted mines with ease and also placed philz recovery on it... haven't had any issues. Will look for a stable ROM and then test it out

bimmerdriver

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I got my gs5 from Bell Mobility a few days ago. I put it into download mode and noticed this:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G900W8
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
REACTIVATION LOCK(KK): OFF
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
RP SWREV: S1, T1, RA, A1, P1
EDC START

Unfortunately, my phone is already infected by knox. I was hoping it had an earlier bootloader without knox. Also, it looks like the bootloader may be locked. Anyone else notice this?

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know ow whether it's possible to use another carrier's rooted and/or unlocked GS5 on Verizon? Depends on bands/frequencies, I know, so perhaps someone here knows whether another US carrier uses the same ones. And then would Verizon allow me to call up and switch another carrier's GS5 to Verizon without locking it down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar