Verizon Galaxy S5 finally ROOTED! !

Kaliaila

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If you are doing OTA, the update will fail. Not sure of other ways. But you can use the method in the link I provided above to re-root. I think there are other ways too.

Last edited:

Jkupperstein

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
At the risk of sounding completely stupid..... I don't understand what any of this means. Mostly what I want to do is remove bloatware... HELP!

Posted via the Android Central App

Sludgetack

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I also have the AT&T S5 Active. I've been meaning to root it for a while but last night I got prompted for a system update permission and choose "remind me later." This morning I was shocked and infuriated to find my phone in mid-update even though I had not granted permission. So now I have kitkat 4.4.4 (updated from 4.4.2), which is exactly what I feared would happen.

I am still holding out hope that a new exploit will be found to get around this. What are my options now? Is there some way I could get an email notification when the next hack is found?

Galaxy S5 Active (SAMSUNG-SM-G870A) Kitkat 4.4.4 on AT&T

SmaugHat

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I have an unlimited Verizon grandfathered account that I would like to turn into a hotspot. A kindly Verizon store employee advised this on the total down/low, said that I should get a Galaxy.

I am intimidated by the process here. His advice was "Find somebody that knows what they are doing."
Do I need someone local with his hand on the unit?

Also, if tethered is what it sounds like, I have no problem with that, as I can use it off my laptop.

Hep me.

nikota

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
It is full of offensive bloat ware, imposable so far to root in order to fix this problems

I hope someone posts a working root procedure soon
Galaxy S5 Active (SAMSUNG-SM-G870A) Kitkat 4.4.4 on AT&T

rex1jumper2

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I had some success rooting my S3 using Towelroot. It did not work for my S5. Phone Specs below. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Model #: SM-G900V
Android Version: 5.0.
Baseband Version : G900VVRU2BOE1
Kernel Version : 3.4.0 (June 18, 2015 KST)
Build Number : LRX21T.G900VVRU2BOE1
SE for Android status : Enforcing SEPF_SM-G900V_5.0_011
Hardware Version : G900V.05

rzucker1

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone been able to root an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) running Android 5.0 (in particular, version G900AUCU4BOF2, released 7/9/15 by AT&T)? I tried:
1. Downloading Towelroot ver. 3 from towelroot.com, but clicking the lambda opened the .apk as a text file.
2. Note that clicking "fix it yourself" opened a file advising click "welcome to travelroot v3" thrice and then enter "1337 0 1 7380 4 0".
3. Downloaded towelroot to PC from towelroot.en.uptodown.com/android/download and transferred to cell phone
4. Installed using ES File Explorer.
5. Running Towelroot by clicking "make it r a in" gave "This phone isn't currently supported."
6. Tapping "welcome to towelroot v3" thrice and entering modstring 1337 0 1 7380 4 0" and it still failed to run.
7. Downloaded Kingo Root as android.root.exe from Kingoapp.com/android-root/download and installed on PC.
8. Noted that Samsung Galaxy S5 was not listed as supported.
9. Connected phone to PC USB 3.0 port with USB debugging enabled.
10. After recognizing phone, ran Kingo from PC.
11. After 30 min, message "Failed" appeared and "Leave your email address so we can get back to you when supported", but there was no field to enter email address.
12. Rooting failure confirmed with Root Checker.

christefane

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 AT&T , 4.4.2 , i download towelroot but when i hit the make it rain button , it said this phone isnt currently supported, plz help

alaneddy

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Totally Foolproof ROOT
OK, I just started from scratch with this. Wiped my phone and verified this works STEP by STEP as written. I edited my content to show WHERE phone gets stuck and what to do when it does. Once again, I have FULL root.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All files needed are here: Working Root Method For 5.0 Lollipop Roms [O… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5

COMPUTER
------------------
1st... DOWNLOAD THESE FILES: (ALL located on 1st page of this thread/guide)

1-SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.0.exe
---if you dont have the newest USB drivers installed, remove them and reinstall the above file, then reboot PC

2-OK3_ROOT_V5.exe
---run OK3_ROOT_V5.exe and remember where it is on your hard drive.
------------------------------
PHONE
-------------
1- open app tray
2- hit settings
3- scroll to bottom to ABOUT PHONE
4-touch ABOUT PHONE
5- look at Build Number.
6- IF build number is NOT OK3 or BP1 then GOTO "PREPARE RHONE FOR ROOT"
7- IF build number IS OK3 or BP1 then GOTO "OK3_ROOT"

-----------------------------------------
PREPARE PHONE FOR ROOT
---------------------------------------

COMPUTER
------------------
1- DOWNLOAD G900VVRU2BRB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_VZW.ZIP
2-UNZIP G900VVRU2BRB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_VZW.ZIP
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHONE
-------------------
1-Boot into RECOVERY via VOL UP & HOME & POWER
2-Factory RESET phone wiping data & cache

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHONE
-----------------------
1-Reboot phone into BOOTLOADER by holding VOL DOWN & HOME & POWER.
2-Once in bootloader push VOL UP to continue to DOWNLOAD MODE.
3-Open ODIN (located in the ok3_root folder I told you to remember location)
4-Press the AP button and load the G900VVRU2BPB1_G900VVZW2BPB1_G900VVRU2BPB1_HOME.tar
5-WAIT for MD5 to be verified
6-Plug USB cable into phone, a COM PORT ID# will show up in ODIN.
7-The only things that should be checked in checkboxes in ODIN are: Auto Reboot & F.Reset Time.
8-Hit START
9-When finished it will be a BLUE RESET message in ODIN, once phone reboots it will be a GREEN PASS message.
10-Once phone boots, go through setup by hitting SKIP on EVERY option that comes your way. DO NOT SET UP ANY ACCOUNTS.
11-When finished with the initial reboot setup GOTO OK3_ROOT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK3_Root
----------------

PHONE
----------------------
1-open App Drawer
2-Hit SETTINGS
3-GOTO About Phone
4-Tap on Build Number multiple times really fast til it says DEVELOPER OPTIONS ENABLED
5-GOTO Developer Options
6-Turn ON Developer Options
7- Make sure checkbox is CHECKED by USB DEBUGGING
8-Make sure checkbox is UNCHECKED by Verify apps via USB
9-Click the REVOKE USB DEBUGGING AUTHORIZATIONS, then click OK.
10-Connect USB cable.
11-Debugging window will popup.
12- Check the CHECKBOX that says ALLOW CONNECTIONS FROM THIS COMPUTER, then hit OK
13-Unplug USB cable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMPUTER
------------------
1-Open a File Explorer window
2-Plug in phone via USB cable and WAIT for SM G900V to show up in the Explorer window.
3-NOW run ROOT.BAT in the OK3_ROOT folder (the one i told you to remember where you put it)
Follow ALL directions it says to the LETTER!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------
ROOT.BAT
---------------
AFTER flashing the NK2 Kernel, the phone will get STUCK at samsung logo. At this point, (have patience and wait for a while) if the root process doesnt complete successfully, CLOSE the ROOT.BAT script, unplug phone and reboot into RECOVERY and wipe CACHE only. Then reboot. Plug phone in and WAIT for SM G900V to show up in the File Explorer window. THEN run ROOT2.BAT. After ROOT2.BAT runs and finishes with a SUCCESS message, flash the VZW_BOK3_KERNEL_ONLY.tar.md5 file. After phone reboots proceed to installing APK's as listed below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(snipped from jkruse post)

1. Open KingRoot.apk Click The Up Arrows a couple of time until you get to Try It and click Try It and that's it don click nothing else just close Kingroot. You should now have root. If It says Root not available and the bat said your were rooted Reboot Phone and open KingRoot You should now be rooted(otherwise reboot phone and check again)

2. Optional: If you Dont want to use SuperSu Me Skip To 3 and try but if it doesnt work then you will have to use SuperSume . Now open SuperSU-Me app (This app is now a paid app so setup Google Play and buy and it will remove kinguser and replace it with SuperSu. If you can't get the Paid version to work. The SuperSu Me 6.7 version worked. So you may have to hunt that one down by asking the Dev of the app) After this process SuperSu will ask to update binary click update normal

3. Copy this G900V_Fix Safestrap.zip (It may come in handy later on) to your SD Card and Internal Storage Copy Safestrap_Flashable_Kernels and Safestrap_Flashable_Firmware and anything else you want to install like the below rom

4. Now open Busybox Installer Allow KingRoot permission click on install

5. Click on Safstrap Allow KingRoot permission then click Install Safestrap after it installs reopen Safestrap and click on install again

6. Reboot phone open Safestrap app and Click Reboot To Recovery. If during this process you every get stuck on samsung screen.
Pull battery reboot phone to bootloader (VolDwn+Pwr+Home) Plug phone into computer open Odin In the AP Slot Flash VZW_BOK3_KERNEL_ONLY.tar.md5 Located in the OK3_ROOT Folder

7. Install This zip Knox_Removal_SU_BB_INIT.D.zip If you dont want a custom rom your done!

8. If you want to flash a custom rom make a backup In safestrap. Then in safestrap Click Wipe then Click Advanced Wipe Then Wipe System,Wipe Data,Wipe Cache Then Install any rom of your choosing as long as it is a Verizon S5 TocuchWiz Based Rom CM builds will not work! If you want you can try this it is stable. If for some reason you get an error flashing zips install this zip G900V_Fix Safestrap.zip in safestrap then you will be able to install roms. That zip wipes system and formats it so you will need to install a rom or backup before leaving safestrap
VZW_BPB1_ODEX_DEODEX_V8.zip This is a fully stock rom just like you had except it is Pre Rooted Knox free Deodexed with Tethering Fix, SDWrite Fix. Other than that all the bloat is still there but now your rooted you can remove it or flash different rom whatever

9. After flashing any rom I would head over to my Safestrap Thread and flash the latest version of Safestrap

Waterboy01

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I did the process and i have root but safestrap is not working as ive pushed install many times and still wont allow me to reboot to recovery and supersu does not remove kingroot. any ideas? im also getting random alerts of unauthorized actions being detected

alaneddy

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I did the process and i have root but safestrap is not working as ive pushed install many times and still wont allow me to reboot to recovery and supersu does not remove kingroot. any ideas? im also getting random alerts of unauthorized actions being detected

KNOX is responsible for the "unauthorized actions" message. Are you giving Safestrap "root authorization" when installing? Try un-authorizing it in the ROOT application, then re-installing it and letting it re-request ROOT priviledges. Remember to install safestrap, then after it closes, reopen it and install it a 2nd time.

edit: to get rid of the "unauthorized actions", after getting safestrap installed, reboot to safestrap and run the Knox_Removal_SU_BB_INIT.D.zip file.

Waterboy01

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried un-authorizing root and reinstalling and ive also tried completely uninstalling from the phone and reinstalling from the .apk. it says that the installs complete but it wont let me to the bootloader.Screenshot_2016-04-03-13-44-10[1].jpgScreenshot_2016-04-03-13-48-49[1].jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad