Thoughts about Routing

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
July 1 I will be due for an upgrade. I have already decided on a SG5. I have routed my SG3, mostly so I could access Hotspot. Of course there were so many other things I could do but most of it I don't understand or just doesn't interest me. So now I am up against if I should route or not. Again my main reason will be hotspot. I am on Sprint and I know there is FoxFi, but I am not sure if it works wirelessly on Sprint or not.(I am pretty sure it works USB from what I read.). SG3 had pretty much a very low risk of bricking your phone and if anything happened you can return it to stock and warranty the phone. Not the case today, thanks to Knox. So I now have mixed feelings if routing is the right thing to do for me. I'm all open ears for your opinions. Thanks in advance. (Great site, always informative)

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it was the subject line? lol

As for rooting, it really is a personal choice depending on what you want to do. I like to have full control of my phone which only root apps will allow. As far as tripping knox, if you only want to run root apps but not install a custom rom or a custom recovery, there is a new method called Towelroot that will not trip the knox counter.

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I also like the idea of full control. Reminds me of the old days of AOL when it would literally take over your computer and wherever you went AOL was there.

Yes I have read about towel root, I do have a few more questions for you.
1. do you need to install a Rom on top of towel root?
2. once rooted with towel root, can I hotspot?
3 how do I install updates?

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I also like the idea of full control. Reminds me of the old days of AOL when it would literally take over your computer and wherever you went AOL was there.

Yes I have read about towel root, I do have a few more questions for you.
1. do you need to install a Rom on top of towel root?
2. once rooted with towel root, can I hotspot?
3 how do I install updates?

Ouch :) I actually worked for 5 years at AOL in the 90's!

1. No.
2. Assuming you find an app, it's baked into custom roms though.
3. I actually rooted before Towelroot came out with CF-Autoroot so I can't say for sure. Usually OTA updates will fail "if" you have a custom recovery. If not, an update "should" install and you will probably have to reroot. On the other hand, with a custom rom, developers are usually pretty quick to put out a new rom based on any update that is pushed to our phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid