Someone convince me to root my s5.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have always wanted to get into rooting. Right now the S5 is new enough that I don't really feel the need to root right now but this towel root method will be patched as soon as Verizon approves the next update and I may not be able to root later. I know eventually the 2 gigs of ram will be a real weakness and I will want a stripped down room to help me keep up.

Can anyone give me some good reasons to be rooted now? Can I do a free wireless Hotspot with the S5? Maybe some YouTube videos of custom rooms in action?

This Knox business has me a little worried as well.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Getting rid of the unwanted bloatwares (although this can be done even without the need to root but some apps may require root to force freeze or wipe) from carriers is one thing, changing the looks of my phone to my own liking is another.

I can't speak for Verizon but since I use AT&T, i'm pretty sure that the bootloader on the ATT model is locked.

Using Towelroot to does not trip KNOX, however installing ROMS or changing the bootloader will probably trip the KNOX counter.

You should visit xda-developers.com and visit their forums.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
One day when I am out of warranty and my phone is getting pretty slow I will probably not care about Knox but for now I think I will stay stock and avoid updating to 4.4.3. I'm at 4.4.4 on my nexus so I know I'm not really gaining anything other than a few stability and security fixes.

rc75149

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Towel root doesn't trip knox.

I rooted and modified my phone to not show ads, all my free apps show no ads now or videos :)

Posted via Android Central App

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I am going to root my old thunderbolt to get comfortable with some of the basics like flashing roms, useing custom recoveries, and retiring a stock image in case there was a problem. Then I will revisit my desire to root my s5.

Another reason I am hesitant is because I am likely going to sell this phone and buy whatever the first 64 bit android flagship is in a year or so. I don't want to do anything that will make my phone seem "sketchy" when I want to sell.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have always wanted to get into rooting. Right now the S5 is new enough that I don't really feel the need to root right now but this towel root method will be patched as soon as Verizon approves the next update and I may not be able to root later. I know eventually the 2 gigs of ram will be a real weakness and I will want a stripped down room to help me keep up.

Can anyone give me some good reasons to be rooted now? Can I do a free wireless Hotspot with the S5? Maybe some YouTube videos of custom rooms in action?

This Knox business has me a little worried as well.

#1 You have always wanted to root.
#2 towel root method will be patched soon
#3 You will want a stripped down room to help keep up
#4 towel root Turns off Knox it does not trip the counter. Knox can be turned back on if towel root was used to Root. The Next Root method my trip the Knox counter.
#5 If 1 through 4 are not enough YOU SHOULD NOT ROOT!!!!!!!!!!! and why should anyone convince you to root?

RBEmerson

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
+1 on "if you need to be talked into rooting, don't do it".

If you don't understand the value of rooting, you don't know enough to avoid the high probability of freezing up parts of the phone or bricking it altogether.

If you're concerned about bloatware or backing up your phone's files, yes, rooting is your only real option. But, again, freeze (makes an app invisible but still present - no memory savings) or delete the wrong thing and you could have a very borken phone. Backups with Titanium are certainly less risky, but, because Titanium needs superuser permission, it can also be used to break things.

I know this all very negative, but there is no real safety net once a phone is rooted. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674