S5 ATT - Use on 3 Mobile with Wifi Hotsport Tethering

Dave Hindle

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Excuse me if this has been asked elsewhere - I have looked but do not fully understand.

I have an S5 (AT&T) SM-G900A

I am in England and want to use it on 3 mobile.

I put sim card in everything works apart from Wifi Hotspot Tethering - says I have invalid Sim - presume this is because it is not an AT&T one.

Have read about 'rooting' and FoxFi - tried FoxFi - everything looked ok and seemed to switch on Wifi Hotsport Tethering but still the invalid Sim message popped up and wouldn't work.

Q

Is there anyway that I can get rid of all the AT&T package / operating system and replace it with 3 Mobile one - effectively turning the deivce into a
SM-G900F with all the 3 Mobile stuff on it.

Do I need to 'root' it and then 'flash' it - I kind of understand these terms but never done it - I'm thinking that I root it to enable me to get to the bare-bones of the phone and then flash it with a new 3 mobile front end

Or do I just root it and then 'bypass' / enable the wifi tethering somewhere - if this is the case where do I do this - I have read plenty of posts about rooting but nothing that explains what to do after that in order to switch on wifi hotspot tethering.

Please help

Cheers

mountaineer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm going through the exact same thing with an ATT Samsung 3 that I want to use in Italy with a TIM SIM. Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I'm suspicious that it's ATT software that we have to get rid of. Darn.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "invalid SIM" is a SIM on an account that doesn't allow tethering. Pay for a tethering account and it should go away.

Is there anyway that I can get rid of all the AT&T package / operating system
No, the bootloader is locked, so whatever you put in has to be signed. And being allowed to keep the Crown Jewels in your home is a lot easier than getting the signing code.

Do I need to 'root' it and then 'flash' it
No, you can flash a ROM with Odin without rooting - but it has to be a Samsung ROM for that model phone. (People make modifications - different bloat removed, different apps, different keyboards - but the basic ROM has to be the stock. [I've put an N-9000 ROM into my N900A, but it was modified (not by me, by someone on XDA) to run on the N-900A.])

I kind of understand these terms but never done it - I'm thinking that I root it to enable me to get to the bare-bones of the phone and then flash it with a new 3 mobile front end
With anything but a Samsung ending in A or V( Verizon) since 4.4.2.

Or do I just root it and then 'bypass' / enable the wifi tethering somewhere - if this is the case where do I do this - I have read plenty of posts about rooting but nothing that explains what to do after that in order to switch on wifi hotspot tethering.
1) I don't think there's a root for the A or V S5 on 4.4.4 or 5 yet that doesn't break Knox.

2) If the carrier is blocking tethering, you can't tether - with any phone and/or any app. You have to pay for a tethering account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21