Rooting Galaxy S5 Verizon after OTA MAC

Josh Ebel

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 and when I got it I updated via the OTA update. My Windows Laptop is broken and I only have the family Mac Mini to work with. I was wondering if there was a way to download Odin and the Samsung Drivers on my Macintosh. Or if I could do everything from my phone. I can't download Odin App because I'm not rooted. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted via the Android Central App

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
You can download virtual box, get a windows cd (or a windows image file off the internet), and install a virtual windows machine on your virtual box. In order for your android to work there you need to install the guest additions. Then go to settings for your windows vitural machine, click ports, enable usb and usb 2.0, plug your android in click + and click Samsung Android [0400]. Put your phone in download mode (Download mode is activated by powering off and then holding power home and volume down at the same time. You can exit out of it by holding the power button), Click + again select Samsung msm8960 [0100]. Click ok. Start up your virtual machine, install the drivers from samsungs website. Click the usb icon on the bottom of your virtual machine window, select android. IF your drivers don't install unplug the phone and plug back in again and click the icons again. Then put your phone in download mode and do the same. Then once the drivers for both normal and download mode successfully install you should be able to use Odin on your windows virtual machine running on your mac computer.

Josh Ebel

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I've thought of that. However, it is the family computer so downloading lots of software or .iso's would not be preferable.
I would prefer to do it with jodin online, kernel files, and samsung drivers.
However I don't know how to use jodin because I believe it doesn't recognize my device. I am using USB 3.0 BTW.

Posted via the Android Central App