Update Through Kies 3 (Device Status: Custom)

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi S5 people! I'm new here in the S5 section because i just got my S5 (2nd hand though). xD

I just want to ask, is it possible for me to still update my phone through Kies? My phone can't update to OTA because my cousin unlocked the phone(He is the one gave it to me because he upgraded to Note 4) because it's locked to a specific carrier here in the Philippines (Globe). Here are all the screenshot of my device.

Also in Kies it is saying that i have the latest firmware but i'm not sure, i'm thinking that Kies is only saying that because the status of my phone is Custom.

Another question: If the phone is custom will there be also an error message in Kies when updating? Like when updating OTA?

Here are the screenshots.

PS: I don't know anything about rooting. xD

2gv0cuc.png

10wp120.png
11az4o2.png
292nvgm.png
riuiw9.png
30u8ndz.png
2na0m0y.png

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is still on the same carrier it was bought from, it'll update OTA.

If not, and there's a Kies update for that exact model (the only one I see for Globe in the Philippines is 4.4.2 NI4, which is an update to your NCE, but a minor one, since it's still 4.4.2), you can update it through Kies, locked or unlocked. The update checks for rooting and/or a non-stock ROM, and will stop in either of those cases, because updating could brick the phone, but it doesn't check to see if the phone is SIM-locked, since that doesn't affect the update.

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

If not, and there's a Kies update for that exact model (the only one I see for Globe in the Philippines is 4.4.2 NI4, which is an update to your NCE, but a minor one, since it's still 4.4.2), you can update it through Kies, locked or unlocked. The update checks for rooting and/or a non-stock ROM, and will stop in either of those cases, because updating could brick the phone, but it doesn't check to see if the phone is SIM-locked, since that doesn't affect the update.

It is still with the same carrier but i'm updating through wifi

I see. But as you can see in my screenshot when i plugged it in Kies it is saying that i have the latest firmware even though you said that i can have a minor update (NI4). Why is that? I'm looking forward for the 4.4.4 update or the 5.0 but i think i'm stuck with the 4.4.2 because my cousin unlocked it. Please help. :(

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Problem solved. I flashed the latest firmware that i downloaded at sammobile using odin 3 and my device status went back to official. And i also think that i can have OTA updates again. CHEERS!

nmn9fm.png

258nic8.png

66iwqu.png

xziberry

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Pleaee can I get a tutorial on how you did the whole process cos also experiencing same problem with my phone..

Posted via the Android Central App