Hi.
    I am fairly new to the android community. I was a apple owner and recently got a s5.
    So what is rooting? is it the same as jailbreaking? Im thinking of doing it but im not familiar with rooting. Thanks
    Juan Tg likes this.
    02-19-2015 02:08 PM
    Welcome to Android and to the forums at Android Central! 🙋

I don't root my phones, don't really see the need.

If you just came on board I suggest you start by getting to know your device and what it can do.

I also have the GS5, it's a great phone!

Rooting is good for some people, not so much for others. Read and learn more about it.
    Dale Johnson2 likes this.
    02-19-2015 02:16 PM
    Probably too late of a reply but I too was an iOS user who made the switch. Yes, jailbreaking was a necessity for those who wanted any kind of functionality and customization prior to iOS 6.

When I came on board with the S5 I naturally rooted the moment I got it. One of the benefits for me doing so, was being able to delete the bloat ware from AT&T and Samsung. You can go far in terms of customizing with just the Nova Launcher (which I highly recommend).

But if you take the time to learn what a rooted device can do for you, it's difficult going back. I've also been able to remove the emergency dialer from my lock screen, remove my carrier label, disable all those pesky "battery cover/usb/volume is too loud" alerts, install viper4android (music sounds amazing), record phone calls, and so much more - and all while running buttery smooth on 4.4.2

Posted via the Android Central App
    Ron Youngblood1 likes this.
    05-14-2015 01:43 AM
    I look at it this way. In the old days if you liked AOL and it's own basic internet as apposed to the "world of wide web" that was out there, then so be it. For me I never did like a service that controlled my computer as well as slowed it down to a crawl. Same is true today only the names have changed.....always have root always will root! Control freak all the way.
    06-21-2015 04:41 PM
    I'd like to root my phone but I'm a bit dumb when it comes to all of the info! But if anyone can walk me through it without a commuter would be much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    06-24-2015 08:21 PM
    Rooting means to eliminate the restriction of your device to get the full access of the system. Rooting allows to customize the entire look and feel of phone and increases the battery life. But Be careful, because after rooting, you will loss the warranty of your phone..
    Juan Tg likes this.
    06-25-2015 12:36 AM
    Not 100% true. If it can be proved that it's a hardware issue, I've seen my carrier (Sprint) repair the phone.
    06-25-2015 10:10 PM
    Rooting is not permanent. You can remove root via some apps, like SU. Also flashing a rom will remove it as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    08-19-2015 07:12 AM
    I love the extra features of root devices such as the root function, allows you to fully customize anything you hated about the original OS. pretty much do it if you want to do one of the features that it adds.
    08-23-2015 11:32 AM