Hey everyone. This seems to be the place to be

So here's my problem: I'm about 3 days in after activating a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 with StraightTalk. Everything seems to be working fine after activating everything with StraightTalk and putting in the SIM they mailed to me (Data 4G LTE, Phone calls), except texting. I've talked to StraightTalk custom reps, Samsung Technical Support, and finally Verizon, but no help.

The problem seems to lie within the APN's. On my phone, the current apn is listed as Verizon Internet "VZWINTERNET". From what I can tell online, StraightTalk is "supposed" to be using a separate APN, and there are a lot of tutorials on how to do that. The problem is, when I go to add an APN, that option is greyed out, which leads me to believe either A) The phone isn't technically unlocked yet or B) I need to root the phone somehow (something I've never had to do) to work with StraightTalk and add/edit APN's.

Again, just to recap, Talking and Data work fine, but Texting does not work. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
    03-02-2015 02:05 PM
    The problem is, when I go to add an APN, that option is greyed out, which leads me to believe either A) The phone isn't technically unlocked yet
    Unlocking refers to the ability of the phone to accept a SIM card from another carrier. If it's a Verizon phone it will accept a Verizon SIM, even if Straight Talk is the network operator.

I need to root the phone somehow (something I've never had to do) to work with StraightTalk and add/edit APN's.
    Rooting wouldn't change that. The carrier opted to not allow you to add an APN on that phone, so you'd have to bring it into Verizon and see if their tech people can work out a solution.

Again, just to recap, Talking and Data work fine, but Texting does not work. What should I do?
    That has nothing to do with the APN. MMS does, and long texts sent as an MMS, instead of individual 160 character pieces, but if you can't send a short (under 160 characters) text, it's Straight Talk's problem. They have your account provisioned improperly. Get on their Facebook page and ask for help there. That's where ST's best support people are.
    03-02-2015 02:23 PM
    Thank you for the help. I'm going to go to the Straight Talk facebook page like you said and see what they can do. It is amazing though, that I contacted them 3 times already through their LiveChat online, and got no solid answer (like I did here).
    03-02-2015 04:27 PM
    Hey again. Just thought I'd share an update.

So I contacted StraightTalk on Facebook and they were very helpful and gave me a direct line to call with technical support. After thoroughly troubleshooting the phone, they called Verizon directly and reset my connection from the tower. After they did that, I was instructed to turn the phone on and off and send a text to myself. After the I reset the phone, I could briefly send text to myself (and to my mom) with no problem.... but after the "4G LTE" turned on at the top, texting stopped working again, and phone calls/data still work fine. What a headache. You seem to be absolutely right about something not being provisioned properly.

The guy said it could be compatibility issues with the SIM card and my GS5, but I'm not sure anyone really know's what's going on. This is definitely difficult. He also said that the APN was not an issue. Either way, maybe StraightTalk can send me another SIM card and I can try again.
    03-03-2015 10:29 AM
    Did you ever get texting to work correctly?
    05-28-2015 09:14 AM
    I had the exact same issues as you and this went on for three weeks. I wound up having to go back to walmart & get a conversion kit and contact straight talk again. I am not able to access the APN's either except for the one that says APN. After three weeks of going back/forth and three calls to technical services, I finally wound up a with a tech that says they had two settings for available network access and he switched me over to the other one. I'm not able to tether. I have not rooted the phone.

apn vzwinternet which has now changed itself to "THTHR.gw13.vzwentp"
    mcc 311
    mnc 480
    apn type default,dun,supl
    apn protocol ipv4/ipv6
    apn roaming protocol apv4/v6
    06-20-2015 01:38 PM