can verizon s5 5.0 (lollipop) be rooted?

yossiboropark

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a Verizon s5 running lollipop (5.0) I was wondering if it can be rooted, and if yes, how? Everything I came across on Google was for Kit Kat.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can safely say a snowball has a better chance in hell than the S5 does at getting root. AT&T and Verizon PRIDE themselves on doing all they can to "protect" the user from themselves by not allowing rooting, ROM's and general fun. If you hit up XDA Developers you will find Bounty threads for Rooting and Bootloaders for the S4, S5, Note 3, Note 4 and just about any other Verizon/AT&T device. The bounties are up there in the thousands but no takers. That is why I am going Nexus now, no more screwing with bootloader lock downs.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon s5 running lollipop (5.0) I was wondering if it can be rooted, and if yes, how? Everything I came across on Google was for Kit Kat.

Yes, the Verizon S5 can be rooted on Lollipop. The bootloader cannot be unlocked, so you have to stick with ROMS based on Samsung firmware.

Here are the basics of how to do it. Use ODIN to flash a stock kitkat ROM. Boot up the phone and go through the setup. Then you'll want to download and install Towelroot, SuperSu, SafeStrap and Busy box first.
You have to flash a kernel from an older kitkat version of the OS using ODIN. I used the NE9 kernel. Your phone will reboot and start throwing up Force Close errors. Keep clearing them out and you'll gradually make your way to the app drawer. Open the Towelroot app and click make it rain. That should root your phone. Next open safestrap and install the recovery. Reboot to recovery and flash a 5.0 ROM. Reboot from recovery into download mode, and flash the 5.0 firmware only. Reboot your phone and you are golden.

I know it seems daunting, and it is, but we'll worth the time.

I would check out the Verizon S5 forum at XDA developers for a real step by step breakdown as well as finding all of the files mentioned above. It's in the android development section.

Posted via the Android Central App

rdperk35

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have done this and it works well. I used Samsung Kies to back up the device. It locked up on the reboot and I had to factory reset and restore. Other than that it worked great.

thebabaghanoush

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't really follow the ins-and-outs of your post. Can you post more detailed instructions, perhaps with links and/or screenshots to what we have to do?

alex autry

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
To rdperk35- what firmware version did you have when you went back to KK? I'm on Lollipop OC4 and would like to know if it's "safe" to ODIN to an older version. Much appreciated if someone could help me confirm these methods work and the exact steps to do this.:)
Alex

wrready2

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Let it snow then. I have VZ S5 and rooted it over 8 months ago. I am running Optimal12-5 rom, and 4.4.4. I have never taken the Lolipop update. This a safe smooth rom that has been working floughless. So let it snow in hell.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
To rdperk35- what firmware version did you have when you went back to KK? I'm on Lollipop OC4 and would like to know if it's "safe" to ODIN to an older version. Much appreciated if someone could help me confirm these methods work and the exact steps to do this.:)
Alex

I tried to downgrade from lollipopto KK and Odin fails everytime. I was told that you cannot downgrade on Vz from 5.0 to 4.4