As we all know the G900A AT&T S5 cannot be rooted as yet if it has been upgraded to Lollipop. It seems AT&T did a good(???) job of preventing root.. My question is is there a USA version out there that is not carrier specific that is available that can be easily rooted? If there is I may sell my AT&T phone and get one..

I have always bought my phone kept it stock for a few months then rooted it but I've had this one since late last year and was going to root it but thenn the Lollipop update came through preventing me from doing it..
    08-29-2015 05:29 PM
    As we all know the G900A AT&T S5 cannot be rooted as yet if it has been upgraded to Lollipop. It seems AT&T did a good(???) job of preventing root.
    They just patched the exploit that was being used - the same as they do every time someone finds an exploit that can be used to root a ROM.

My question is is there a USA version out there that is not carrier specific
    No. The non-carrier-specific model used on AT&T is the F, the European version. (I don't know whether there's a root exploit for that yet.)

I have always bought my phone kept it stock for a few months then rooted it but I've had this one since late last year and was going to root it but thenn the Lollipop update came through preventing me from doing it..
    You could always go back to Kit Kat.
    08-29-2015 09:12 PM
    You could always go back to Kit Kat.
    I'm thinking about doing this or maybe dumping the S5 and going to a Nexus which are easily rooted..

I did root this phone while KitKat was king but the upgrade to Lollipop killed that..
    08-29-2015 09:25 PM
    Rukbat is correct. There is, unlike most countries in the world, no such thing as a generic, non-carrier branded, phone for the U.S.A.

However, the worldwide, "F", model, G900F, will work on all of AT&T's bands, 2/3/4G/LTE, and comes with generic Samsung firmware with no carrier bloatware, an unlocked bootloader and can be rooted in under 3 min's by flashing the CF-Auto-Root kernel. Plus, the, "F", model receives regular updates and is on a much higher and later, changelist. See post #2, here.
    08-30-2015 01:04 AM