[Bricked?] ATT S5 SM-G900A attempted downgrade from 5.1.1, now stuck at samsung splash screen

guy232

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I just got my S5 and used OTA to upgrade my firmware to 5.1.1.

I then wanted to root my device so I downgraded to 4.4.2 (NCE) using Odin. The flash failed in Odin.

After reading into the situation I discovered that once I upgrade to lollipop on my S5 via OTA that it is impossible to downgrade back to kitkat.

Now my device just hangs on the Samsung Galaxy S5 loading splash screen upon turning the device on.

I have went into recovery mode and factory reset and also wiped the cache. ((I do not see any way to wipe the dalvik cache if that is important))

I am not sure how to fix this problem. I assume I need to flash to lollipop (Would I need to flash to 5.1.1? Or would just 5.0 work as well?)

I have spent hours searching but have been unable to find the firmware that I originally installed via OTA on my AT&T S5 (SM-G900A).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12MaNy

Regional Leg Breaker
Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah....I see SamMobile doesn't have the 5.1.1 .tar yet. If you can find it, then all you have to do is reflash it. If not then unfortunately, it's bricked until you can.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got my S5 and used OTA to upgrade my firmware to 5.1.1.

I then wanted to root my device so I downgraded to 4.4.2 (NCE) using Odin. The flash failed in Odin.

After reading into the situation I discovered that once I upgrade to lollipop on my S5 via OTA that it is impossible to downgrade back to kitkat.

Now my device just hangs on the Samsung Galaxy S5 loading splash screen upon turning the device on.

I have went into recovery mode and factory reset and also wiped the cache. ((I do not see any way to wipe the dalvik cache if that is important))

I am not sure how to fix this problem. I assume I need to flash to lollipop (Would I need to flash to 5.1.1? Or would just 5.0 work as well?)

I have spent hours searching but have been unable to find the firmware that I originally installed via OTA on my AT&T S5 (SM-G900A).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Android Central guy232!

As you have now found out to your cost, the AT&T model of Galaxy S5, G900A, cannot be downgraded or rooted. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

Preferably you would need to download and flash AT&T's 5.1.1 release, OI5. However, you, "may", be able to get away with their Android 5.0 release, OF3, as this is when the bootloader was upgraded.

The problem you face, as you have found, is that because AT&T do not release their firmware via Samsung, it is not available from the usual Samsung sources and AT&T do not offer a download site.

Other posters on various forums, see here and here for instance, have also found themselves in the same predicament and the only solution so far seems to be to throw yourself on AT&T's mercy and see if they will flash the firmware for you... possibly at a cost as it will probably not be covered by warranty.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello,i have the same problem.So you are telling us that there is no other way to recovery our phone?Thank you!

Hello and welcome to Android Central nerihysolli!

For the reasons stated in my previous post and the linked Dummies Guide, yes. Unlike the normal, stock Samsung models, worldwide, AT&T's cloneware has not been made available by them for you to flash to your phone. Your only option is to take it to AT&T. Make no mistake, this is not down to Google or Samsung, this is all AT&T's fault.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm a SM-G900A user and have been rooted since the beginning (still on 4.4.2), are you saying later models of AT&T's variant can not be rooted?

Posted via the Android Central App

Been that way for a year almost. Both AT&T and Verizon prevent rooting now. This now applies to a whole range of smartphones that they offer.

See, lollipop root on G900A discussion

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Google or Samsung. This is all down to the cloneware on these devices.See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

crich1983

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Had a similar issue with an S5 on 5.1.1. Didn't try to downgrade, but i did have it getting stuck on the boot screen, would not go any further.

It gave an error on the download, but it did fix my issue. Flash in order of download, and it fixes the stuck on boot. And flash individually..

Can't post links, so put these together.

1.)docs(dot)google(dot)com/uc?id=0B1GXEvC92Q8dTGxfMXo1UnBnSGc&export=download

Boot / modem / non-hlos and recovery.

Should fix your problem.

kaukaliokas

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
You are the best ! This way saved my phone G900A AT&T, after i tried to downgrade from lollipop 5.0. I tried all different ways, but only yours actually cured it ;) BIG BIG THANKS.

MUDNINJA

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Had a similar issue with an S5 on 5.1.1. Didn't try to downgrade, but i did have it getting stuck on the boot screen, would not go any further.

It gave an error on the download, but it did fix my issue. Flash in order of download, and it fixes the stuck on boot. And flash individually..

Should fix your problem.

You really saved me on my samsung s5 G900A on 5.0. I have the z3x box wanted to unlock the phone but required the phone to be rooted tried everything and got the phone stuck. I used your files using just the AP selected boot.tar.md5 flashed it to my phone and it restarted and worked like a charm. Thank you very much for this.

Jamey Myer

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thank You

You don't even realize how much this is appreciated...

I powered off during update, as I didn't want it to take up battery power; and it just crashed.

Just a Loop Of Hell

secretyogurt

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

Should fix your problem.

Thank you crich1983! I spent a day trying to unbrick my SM-G900A.... I was losing hope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12