Unable to get ADB and FASTBOOT to work

• Thread starter Deleted member 2777114
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2777114

I have downloaded and installed Fastboot and ADB. I have saved the correct version of TWRP to a folder within that directory.

When trying to run the command "adb reboot bootloader" windows is returning the following:

error: device '(null)' not found

Windows (7, 64-bit) sees my phone. I also have the phone connected as a media device, once I plugged it into my computer. USB Debugging has been enabled through the Developer Settings I unlocked before plugging my phone in.

As far as I can tell, I did everything right so far. What did I miss?

Make sure you have the appropriate drivers installed. I would also suggests reinstalling adb and see if that fixes the problem.

I posted the other day before actually having an account.

Before I install TWRP, I need to get adb and fastboot working properly. I'm coming across an error in the command prompt that I can't seem to find much reference material on.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb reboot bootloader
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

I'm running 64-bit Windows. I checked the drivers, as advised in the original thread. There are no errors indicating I have the wrong driver. I have also installed on a second computer, as well as reinstalling on the original machine I had trouble with.

What's my next step in troubleshooting this, so I can work on getting my phone backed up with TWRP.

Thanks for the hand-up..html

I posted the other day before actually having an account.

Before I install TWRP, I need to get adb and fastboot working properly. I'm coming across an error in the command prompt that I can't seem to find much reference material on.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

I'm running 64-bit Windows. I checked the drivers, as advised in the original thread. There are no errors indicating I have the wrong driver.

What's my next step in troubleshooting this, so I can work on getting my phone backed up with TWRP.

Thanks for the hand-up.

D

Deleted member 2777114

The good news is that I just went out to Samsung and downloaded a fresh copy of the drivers (again) and installed them (again). My phone was found successfully.

Issued the command "adb reboot bootloader" and I was rewarded with the screen "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!"

The following text has been present on that screen since rebooting it.
Code:
[COLOR="#FF0000"]ODIN MODE[/COLOR]
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G900T
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
[COLOR="#A9A9A9"]QUACOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#0000FF"]SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#FF0000"]UDC START[/COLOR]

Per the instructions I have, after booting into that screen, I issued the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-klte.img" and the handset has done nothing. The command prompt says "< waiting for device >"

I don't find any notes of this taking a long time for anyone, as a process. I have found a few references for it being stuck on the "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" screen, but those aren't usually related to trying adb and fastboot commands.

Do I just need to be more patient? Or has it hung and I just need to pull the battery and start again?

D

Deleted member 2777114

Because I found this tutorial, and these are the steps I was following:

androiding.how/how-to-install-twrp-recovery-via-fastboot/

D

Deleted member 2777114

I followed those instructions in your video. Wonderfully easy.

Here's my Odin log indicating success.
Code:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1100)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Remain Port ....  0 
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

But when I boot into recovery, as instructed to at the end of the video, I get a text-based menu I can navigate through using the volume keys.

Code:
Android system recovery <3e>
LMY47X.G900TUVS1FOL1

It appears something failed to take, since that's obviously not TWRP's GUI... I don't have or see any error codes to report or diagnose or even just google. ...ideas?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Strange! Ensure that you have, "Repartition", unchecked under, "Options", in Odin when you flash. See if that helps.

D

Deleted member 2777114

The only things checked in the Options tab are "auto reboot" and "f. reset time" with everything else blank - the default settings on opening Odin.

I'm using Odin 3.10.7, and pressing the AP button to select the "twrp-3.0.0-0-klte-klte.img.tar" file for flashing.

New Log.
Code:

Same result.

This time, though, I did see a brief appearance of an Android lying on its back with an "x" over it in an image. Maybe displayed for the length of an eyeblink. Then it went back to the text menu with the <3e> tag I mentioned above.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The only things checked in the Options tab are "auto reboot" and "f. reset time" with everything else blank - the default settings on opening Odin.

I'm using Odin 3.10.7, and pressing the AP button to select the "twrp-3.0.0-0-klte-klte.img.tar" file for flashing.

New Log.
Code:

Same result.

This time, though, I did see a brief appearance of an Android lying on its back with an "x" over it in an image. Maybe displayed for the length of an eyeblink. Then it went back to the text menu with the <3e> tag I mentioned above.

Just checking... you have got USB debugging enabled in Developer options on your phone?

D

Deleted member 2777114

That's correct.

The only other thing checked at all under the "Debugging" section of "Developer Options" is to "Verify apps via USB."

D

Deleted member 2777114

Which model of Galaxy S5 do you have?

What is your baseband?

Which method did you use to root your phone?

Model: SM-G900T (and the product code is SM2G900TZWATMB)
Baseband: G900TUVS1FOL1
Root Method: None.

I was under the impression that TWRP didn't need root. I read TWRP has an option to root the phone, if you want to, which led me to conclude you didn't need it. "Why offer the option to root a device, if you would have had to root it before you even installed...?"

Do I actually need to root before TWRP?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Model: SM-G900T (and the product code is SM2G900TZWATMB)
Baseband: G900TUVS1FOL1
Root Method: None.

I was under the impression that TWRP didn't need root. I read TWRP has an option to root the phone, if you want to, which led me to conclude you didn't need it. "Why offer the option to root a device, if you would have had to root it before you even installed...?"

Do I actually need to root before TWRP?

God, I hate U.S. carrier models! Nothing is ever easy with them. ;)

O.K. Ensure that your Reactivation Lock is OFF. Install twrp-3.0.0-0-klte-klte.img.tar in Odin with auto-reboot disabled, immediately boot into recovery and flash the SuperSUv2.68.zip that should be previously placed on your phone's memory.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2777114

The options listed in your tutorial are for an S6 and do not exist on my S5.

I checked against multiple other sources, including these (add https to the front):
<links cannot be posted until I hit 10 posts... and I can't even seem to edit the link far enough to trick the forum into accepting it>

Using the search tool, I did not find any entries for "find my device" or "reactivation lock." Truth be told, I don't remember setting up a Samsung account...

I also searched out some other references that told me in order to blow out the reactivation lock, I would need to delete my Samsung account (which I don't remember making), and do a factory reset. I have no desire to wipe and reset my device before backing it up, just so I can back it up with TWRP. So, I am not bothering to link to those solutions.

Is there a place in my phone's directory structure I should place the "BETA-SuperSU-v2.68-20160228150503.zip" file? Assuming we can get past this first part.

D

Deleted member 2777114

That was one of the videos I could not link to. My menus do not look like the ones in the video, in color or content. (I don't know if that means a skin or setting choice, or an OS update since that video was published.)

Under my security screen...

{Device Administration}
-- Device Administrators
-- -- {Personal}
-- -- Android Device Manager (checked)
-- -- AirDroid (un-checked)
-- -- I Can't Wake Up! Free (un-checked)
-- Unknown sources (un-checked)

{Encryption}
-- Encrypt Device
-- Encrypt external SD card

{SIM card lock}
-- Set up SIM card lock

{Passwords}
-- Make passwords visible (un-checked)

{Security update service}
-- Security policy updates
-- -- Automatic updates (checked)
-- -- Preferred networks
-- -- {Manual updates}
-- -- Check for updates

{Confidential storage}
-- Storage type
-- Trusted credentials
-- Install from device storage
-- Clear credentials (grayed out)

{Advanced}
-- Trust agents (grayed out)
-- Pin windows
-- Apps with access to usage data

D

Deleted member 2777114

I have also copy-pasted the zip file to "Computer\<phonename>\Phone" using Windows Explorer.

At least I was able to do that right.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The video looks to be from KitKat firmware but the Reactivation Lock method is the same in Lollipop. You can check if the Reactivation Lock is on or off by booting into Download Mode.

D

Deleted member 2777114

When I am in download mode:

ODIN MODE
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom

QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1 P1
SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE
UDC START

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
When I am in download mode:

ODIN MODE
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom

QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1 P1
SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE
UDC START

Can I ask what it shows on the phone sticker, underneath your battery?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams