Rooting an unlocked and out of contract AT&T phone

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I haven't rooted a phone in several years and know the AT&T GALAXY S5 cannot be rooted. However my phone recently came out of contract and I now own it outright.

Last week I had AT&T unlock the phone and was wondering if now that it is unlocked can it be rooted? If not can a different ROM be flashed in order to root the phone?

If possible any suggestions?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking and rooting have nothing at all to do with each other.

Look in the AT&T S5 section of XDA Forums to see if anyone has a root method for it, or id people have rooted ROMs. (If there's a root method, it CAN be rooted, under contract or not. If you have a problem, reflash the stock ROM. If you can't read the ROM, neither can they.)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I am afraid that the AT&T model of the Galaxy S5, G900A, still cannot be rooted, whether it is unlocked from the carrier, AT&T, or not.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Unlocking and rooting have nothing at all to do with each other.

I am aware of this. Unlocking is simply allowing the phone to be used on other carriers.

Look in the AT&T S5 section of XDA Forums to see if anyone has a root method for it, or id people have rooted ROMs. (If there's a root method, it CAN be rooted, under contract or not. If you have a problem, reflash the stock ROM. If you can't read the ROM, neither can they.)

I plan to sell this phone since I now have the S7 and was asked of it could be rooted since it can now be used with other carriers,

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Whether or not it's rooted has no affect on using it on other carriers. You need to contact AT&T to have it unlocked, but there's no need to root it.