iRoot detected as a virus?

wecanfly

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
So I'm trying to root my Galaxy S5 using iRoot. While trying to run the application, my antivirus, Avira, popped up saying the file contained code identified as "ANDROID/Spy.Agent.qqcc" I've never tried to root before so I don't know if this is normal or if my download is infected? Looking it up on google provided unhelpful results. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

Here is a little information on ANDROID/Spy.Agent.qqcc.

According to Avira: "The file is a malicious Android application that undermines the security of the device or the privacy of the user. Typically, Android malware attempts to steal personal or account information, gain access to device functions via backdoors, send text messages or dial premium numbers, and lock or encrypt the device so the user has to pay to unlock the device. The term 'Spy' denotes part of a malware sample which tries to collect user information, serial numbers, or keystrokes. It may also upload the collected information to another location called the 'drop zone'."
Source: Android/Spy.Agent.qqcc - Avira Virus Lab

According to Symantec: "Android.Spyagent is a spyware application for Android devices that logs certain information and sends SMS messages to a predetermined phone number."
Source: https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2012-090710-1836-99

I would stray away from one-click root solutions unless they are Open Source and backed by a strong community. You may have received that notification from your anti-virus application because it detected the APK was attempting to modify a file or install something malicious of its own.

I would stay with proper threads from AndroidCentral or XDA-Developers. If you can provide me the version of your S5 (carrier or international), android version, and firmware, I can determine for you if there is a proper root method available for your device.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

wecanfly

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your help! My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 version SM-G900R7. My carrier is NTelos and the firmware is currently 5.0 (this is the stock firmware).

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your help! My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 version SM-G900R7. My carrier is NTelos and the firmware is currently 5.0 (this is the stock firmware).

I believe you posted here http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...elp-rooting-my-galaxy-s5-model-sm-g900r7.html and I now understand more context of the situation.

I did find a root method for your phone model; however, it is only for the 4.4.2 Android OS. There are no safe root methods available for your phone.

wecanfly

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you I may try to downgrade to 4.4.2. If I were to do that, what root would you suggest?

According to the Team C-Spire forum, a member confirmed CF Auto Root works for the NTelos G900R7. The thread is for the 4.4.2 OS Version of the C-Spire Galaxy S5 (which also shares the model number of the NTelos S5), so I assumed it applies to the NTelos G900R7 running 4.4.2.

[GUIDE] [TOWEL] ROOT] [CSPIRE] [GS3] 4.4.2 - Samsung Galaxy S3 (GS3) - TeamCSPIRE Dev Forums

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you I may try to downgrade to 4.4.2. If I were to do that, what root would you suggest?

Be careful when attempting to downgrade. The general process of this would be to flash the 4.4.2 firmware made for your device to the phone. The danger is making sure it is the right firmware version compatible with your device. You may end up with a brick. There are firmwares available for the G900R7 to downgrade to 4.4.2, but they are intended for the C-Spire S5, not the NTelos. While both devices share the same model number, I am unsure if there are any differences that could affect your phone if you were to flash a C-Spire firmware onto an NTelos S5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech