Simplicity of flashing a ROM

phoon2

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
I just got into rooting and ROMs, and 2 days ago I rooted my sprint s5 6.0.1 with CF-Auto Root.
I want to see if it is simple to flash a ROM without error.
I also want to know if it is easy to recover from a failed ROM flash, cause I don't have any other phone, I'm on a contract. :D

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got into rooting and ROMs, and 2 days ago I rooted my sprint s5 6.0.1 with CF-Auto Root.
I want to see if it is simple to flash a ROM without error.
I also want to know if it is easy to recover from a failed ROM flash, cause I don't have any other phone, I'm on a contract. :D

Hello and welcome to Android Central phoon2!

Congratulations on rooting your Sprint G900P, model of phone.

Before attempting to flash a custom ROM you should install a custom recovery and make a nandroid backup of your phone. It is also a good idea to make a backup of your devices /efs file as its loss or corruption can render your phone a brick. It is also wise to install Titanium Backup Pro from the Play Store to backup your apps and settings to your external SD card. Once you have done these things to protect yourself you can consider flashing a custom ROM. Most of these will be beta ROMs and in the case of CyanogenMod's CM13 ROM, it is a nightly alpha test build that, as its name indicates, changes every 24 hours and there is no stable release for it yet. See, Samsung Galaxy S5 Gets Android Marshmallow. Also, as you have a Sprint model of phone which is CDMA, check that any ROMs you flash are for your model and not for GSM which 99% of the world is on.

There are any number of ways to screw up a phone with a custom ROM and only one way to do it correctly. The secret to it is... READ! READ! READ! and SEARCH! SEARCH! SEARCH! There are no shortcuts I am afraid, as the threads in this rooting forum testify to.

Usually, the best way to recover from problems with a custom ROM is to download and flash the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product code, as per #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide or restore your origina nandroid backup.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Last edited:

phoon2

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
how can I get a custom recovery? I have googled and looked on XDA and youtube, I can't find it for the current version! Also, does apps like ChainFire's FlashFire work for flashing?
or Pimp my ROM?

Last edited:

phoon2

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Well, I mean like a current tutorial. I might not do it cause most of the tutorials for a custom recovery is from 2014 and is outdated. I've looked everywhere, I can't find a recent tutorial for my phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I could very well be wrong, and hopefully ironass can confirm or deny what I'm about to say; for the most part, it's all the same: unlock the bootloader (if need be), in the bootloader flash a custom recovery, then flash superuser files, reboot back into recovery to make the changes stick, make a backup, flash the ROM.