How can I restore the Gallery system app to my Samsung Galaxy S5?

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
  • I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S5 (mini, if that makes a difference) rooted through Odin
  • I made a back-up of the Gallery app & data with Titanium Backup
  • I deleted the Gallery app
  • I want the Gallery app back as deleting it has been causing problems on my phone

I have tried:

• restoring the app through Titanium Backup. TB ends up getting stuck in an infinite restore loop and does not restore the app (although it does create a 0B entry in the app registry or whatever)
  • extracting the TB backup, copying it in the /system/app/Gallery folder, and installing it through ES File Explorer. On installing, I get the error "there was a problem parsing the package."

I don't know what to try next and am not very knowledgeable in flashing, etc. What is the easiest, safest, and least painful way to restore my Gallery app? Is there somewhere I could re-download it?

Thank you.

Edit: When trying to install the app from the Downloads folder from ES File Explorer, it attempts to install the app but then gives "App not installed" error.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi There!

Not sure why you would have deleted the Gallery App, but that's your problem; as this is part of the system files, and should never be deleted. I'm afraid you'll have to Flash your phone back to OEM in order to get the Gallery back. TB only restores the apps that can be installed through the play store, and uninstalled by its native installer/uninstaller.

If I understood you correctly, then you'll need to flash to OEM.

Chris

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chris,

I was too eager to get rid of all the bloatware my phone came with :(
Will Factory Reset not re-install the app?
How can I flash to OEM?

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Chris,

I was too eager to get rid of all the bloatware my phone came with :(
Will Factory Reset not re-install the app?
How can I flash to OEM?

A Factory Data Reset merely removes all the user crud but does not re-install deleted system apps. If you followed best practice before removing system apps and made a nandroid backup, you could use that to revert your system to an earlier time. Failing that, you can download and flash the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, CSC and Product codes, (this will un-root you and you will need to re-root), or reflash the custom ROM that you installed if that contains the missing Gallery app.

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Found the right one and downloaded it! The way I found out was by starting my Android into Recovery Mode (since it is stuck in a bootloop) and then I got my PDA number from there. There is only 1 Slovakian firmware with that same PDA. Well wish me luck to reflash :)

Btw ironass, do you know debloater? If I use it to "block" apps, even system apps, can I reenable them if they end up messing up my phone?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
So I don't even get the chance to reflash it... I press the Volume Up + Power Button + Home button and it gives me the dead android that says No Command but immediately after takes me to the Reboot System Now, Apply Update from ADB, etc. options. Don't know what to do from here.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So I don't even get the chance to reflash it... I press the Volume Up + Power Button + Home button and it gives me the dead android that says No Command but immediately after takes me to the Reboot System Now, Apply Update from ADB, etc. options. Don't know what to do from here.

Download Mode for flashing firmware via Odin = VOLUME DOWN + Home + Power

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you I could have sworn it was Volume Up. That explains why I was getting so frustrated with it :p
I eventually managed to get it though :)

Your avatar suits your username well btw. Which suits your writing style well.

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
The ROM I grabbed seems to be a different one than the one my phone came with.

I can tell from the boot screen & sound.
This is the number that poped up when I rebooted my phone in recovery before installing this new ROM: LMY47X.G800FXXU1BPB2
The original packaging of the phone also says Slovakia.

When I go the list of available firmware for the 800F, there is only one from Slovakia with the PDA number above and that is the one I got.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
As per my earlier posts, #4 and #8, your actual phone's firmware is governed by its Product Code. Flashing any other firmware invalidates the warranty and prevents future OTA updates as per the warning in the link I posted in #6, above.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Yes I did read your post in #6 but I don't see how it applies to me:

To locate your current firmware version, (not baseband/modem), go to the dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store,

I couldn't start my phone: it was stuck in boot loop. Let me know if I missed something but I'm not sure how I can re-flash, making sure this time I flash the original stock rom that was on there. All I have is this code: LMY47X.G800FXXU1BPB2.

There are 3 different stock Samsung firmwares for Slovakia. Your Product Code will tell you which one applies to your phone.

When I go to this link, http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G800F/
there is only one one the main list but there are a lot more if I click on "Select Country".

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes I did read your post in #6 but I don't see how it applies to me:

To locate your current firmware version, (not baseband/modem), go to the dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store,

I couldn't start my phone: it was stuck in boot loop. Let me know if I missed something but I'm not sure how I can re-flash, making sure this time I flash the original stock rom that was on there. All I have is this code: LMY47X.G800FXXU1BPB2.

When I go to this link, Firmware for Samsung SM-G800F - SamMobile
there is only one one the main list but there are a lot more if I click on "Select Country".

That is not the Product Code that should be shown in Phone Info app.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info and it will give you, under FIRMWARE... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions. This app also has the advantage of showing your phone's PRODUCT CODE which can be useful if there is more than one firmware for your CSC code.

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I read that but my question was, "I can't boot my device, how can I find out my product code?"

Anyway, after flashing the wrong firmware, I managed to boot and downloaded Phone Info and got a product code: SM2G800FZKATMS. Can you help me find my original stock firmware? I'm not sure if the new firmware I installed modified any of those settings or if those are the original settings.

Product Code: SM2G800FZKATMS
CSC / Country: Slovakia
Original CSC Code: TMS

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I read that but my question was, "I can't boot my device, how can I find out my product code?"

Anyway, after flashing the wrong firmware, I managed to boot and downloaded Phone Info and got a product code: SM2G800FZKATMS. Can you help me find my original stock firmware? I'm not sure if the new firmware I installed modified any of those settings or if those are the original settings.

Product Code: SM2G800FZKATMS
CSC / Country: Slovakia
Original CSC Code: TMS

This is the latest stock Samsung firmware for your phone's model and Product Code, TMS...

Model SM-G800F
Model name GALAXY S5 mini
Country Slovakia
Version Android 5.1.1
Changelist 5886751
Build date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 07:01:14 +0000
Security Patch Level 2016-04-02
Product code TMS
PDA G800FXXU1BPC4
CSC G800FTMS1BOL1

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
This is the firmware I installed but it seems different from the one that was originally on my device.

Main difference I noticed: when the device boots, a big "T" logo pops up followed by a loud aggressive tune. In the previous firmware, it went directly to the Samsung logo and the tune was more quiet and relaxing.

There are also 2 pre-loaded languages: English UK and Slovak which I'm pretty sure (90% sure) were not there on the original firmware.

Another thing that make me think this is not the original firmware:
Odin failed at hidden.img file when flashing. I had to extract that file, rename it, and flash it separately.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
That is definitely the firmware that matches your phone's Product Code, TMS, and is used for OTA updates. You could try downloading and flashing either or both of the other 2 stock Samsung Slovakian firmwares to see if either of them match your old firmware. Have you owned the phone since new, out-of-the-box?