Samsung Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6 - which would you choose?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Kevin I know thaaaaat. I didn't like that design on the Nexus 7 and it hasn't grown on me since. I know someone somewhere on some planet in some solar system in some galaxy in some parallel universe may think its attractive but I'm not that someone.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

I liked it on the N7. I definitely like it better on the S5 than what Samsung was doing before. Is it what I would personally prefer? Not at all. But it's worlds better to me than the shiny plastic of old.

Maybe I'm the only one with a form deficiency of some sort. I would say that an iPhone 5S looks and feels like a small smartphone.

I honestly don't begin to understand the preference for HTC or Apple's products' builds and the disdain for Samsung's products' builds. It could be that I don't understand it because these things truly don't matter to me at all. I'm like that with most things and people who know me say that I value function over form. On a scale of 100, I would put function at 99 and form at one.

I agree about the size of the iPhone. Build quality, materials, all great. Even iOS isn't terrible, though I still prefer Android.

I wish I could not care so much about form lol.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had an iphone since the first one (after they started to subsidize!), then the 4 and now the 5. I've got the itch to try an Android (wouldn't even know where to start with HTC, Samsung, etc.) and would consider the S5. Biggest thing holding me back is 1) I know how the iPhones work and am comfortable with it and 2) apps that I have on my iPhone and whether there is an Android counterpart, if I'd have to pay for it (don't mind it but it would add up). Guess I'd have to go down the list of "can't do without" apps and see where that puts me.

There are some apps that you wouldn't have to pay for again while there are probably some that you would have to pay for again. One of the apps that I had invested quite a bit of money in on iOS had a free version on Android. I used the login that I had created on the iOS app, and had access to my paid content through the free version of the Android app. Contact the app developers if you think that it would be worth it to see if there is a way to switch OS platforms at no cost.

masterpfa

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see what Apple can bring to the table for 2014, caught everyone napping with their 64 bit processor. Samsung currently don't excite me anymore primarily because of their build quality and lack of quality materials.
Some it may suit others not. Can't see myself changing platform but I won't rule out the iPhone 6 just because it's an iPhone and if the choice is between the S5 or IP6 on the current offering Apple, for the first time ever, might get my vote.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Given that I have iPhones and iPads the desire for a larger iPhone screen is wasted on me. Text and media are perfectly legible on my iPhones yet quite enjoyable on the iPads' displays. So it really depends on what Apple does with the iP6. Though I won't be paying for an S5 (I'd use it sometimes if it were given to me) I think I'd be willing to pay for LG's offerings.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
There are some apps that you wouldn't have to pay for again while there are probably some that you would have to pay for again. One of the apps that I had invested quite a bit of money in on iOS had a free version on Android. I used the login that I had created on the iOS app, and had access to my paid content through the free version of the Android app. Contact the app developers if you think that it would be worth it to see if there is a way to switch OS platforms at no cost.

Google has no way to gift apps so moving from iOS to android no they cannot gift you the app for free. How else are they going to give you a full version paid app? Developers wouldn't just give me an APP FOR security reasons.

Going to iOS I did have some gift me their app for free if I provided the purchasing number from Google Play. It was super easy.

That's a huge issue.

It basically means you pay more to migrate to Android than you do to migrate to iOS (my experience).

I deleted old Google Account and started a new one and had to buy an app I had before for $20. When I moved to iOS for a while I got it for free (gifted from dev). Going back to Android and they said it wasn't possible. And it's not. Google account recovery is pretty bad and I could not get account back, so I ate the charge. Other paid apps I had gotten on iOS from other devs are unrecoverable on Google Play. About $65 worth of apps.

So. Don't expect to get most apps ported over from iOS. This isn't possible without the development taking a huge risk. This is easy to do moving from Android to iOS, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Given that I have iPhones and iPads the desire for a larger iPhone screen is wasted on me. Text and media are perfectly legible on my iPhones yet quite enjoyable on the iPads' displays. So it really depends on what Apple does with the iP6. Though I won't be paying for an S5 (I'd use it sometimes if it were given to me) I think I'd be willing to pay for LG's offerings.

I phone screen so small that I got migraines using it. Also not very useful for video work on smart device.

I agree that doesn't matter if you have an iPad Mini or iPad, though.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I phone screen so small that I got migraines using it. Also not very useful for video work on smart device.

I agree that doesn't matter if you have an iPad Mini or iPad, though.

Oh no! How on Earth were you able to survive before 2009??

{iRiidium} Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh no! How on Earth were you able to survive before 2009??

what does 2009 have to do with 2014 (an explanation that makes sense would be helpful - that comment sure doesnt).

I didn't spend 5+ hours a day looking at a smartphone screen in 2009.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
what does 2009 have to do with 2014 (an explanation that makes sense would be helpful).

I didn't spend 5+ hours a day looking at a smartphone screen in 2009.

I apologize, I thought it was self-evident. Well, weren't most phone displays as "small" as the iPhone's at that time and before?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I apologize, I thought it was self-evident. Well, weren't most phone displays as "small" as the iPhone's at that time and before?

That doesn't answer my question.

There were bigger phones in 2009. The HD2, for example, which I owned. T-Mobile didn't have iPhone back then.

The only phone I owned with a screen that big was the WinMo and Aria and that was only for like 4 months before I switched to T-Mobile and got the Vibrant and HD2 (replaced by an HD7 on release).

So to answer your question: I got rid of them as soon as I could.

The iPhone screen isn't just small. It's also narrower than other 4 inch phones I've owned, which means even though it's taller most stuff is equally small as on an iPhone 4S unless you use your phone in landscape a lot, which I almost never do.

The extra size is of limited benefit because of that.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't answer my question.

There were bigger phones in 2009. The HD2, for example, which I owned. T-Mobile didn't have iPhone back then.

The only phone I owned with a screen that big was the WinMo and Aria and that was only for like 4 months before I switched to T-Mobile and got the Vibrant and HD2 (replaced by an HD7 on release).

So to answer your question: I got rid of them as soon as I could.

Okeydoke I guess. I've never had the size of a phone's display cause health problems but some of us are not as young as we once were I suppose. Glad you were able to find a display size that fits your health requirements.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Okeydoke I guess. I've never had the size of a phone's display cause health problems but some of us are not as young as we once were I suppose. Glad you were able to find a display size that fits your health requirements.

I'm not even close to being old. My eyes are fine.

It's the small display that causes some people to strain, along with the overuse of transitions and effects (like the parallax) they can cause your eyes to refocus randomly, the thin typeface, and the aggressive screen auto brightness that can flunctuate screen brightness wildly at seemingly random times.

It tires my eyes out and causes headaches.

They went away when I got rid of the phone, as I suspected they would given they didn't start until I switched from the S3 to the 5S.

Also I use my phones naked and the iPhone was, bar none, the most uncomfortable phone I've ever held. The edges are sharp and the metal gets way too cold when it's cold outside and in the training facility. It would routinely shut itself down due to temperature (they throw an error and shut down). Most people with iPhone have that issue in the facility. The Samsung phones don't do that.

It did look good though. The white/silver 5/5S is a striking device for sure.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not even close to being old. My eyes are fine.

It's the small display that causes some people to strain, along with the overuse of transitions and effects (like the parallax) they can cause your eyes to refocus randomly, the thin typeface, and the aggressive screen auto brightness that can flunctuate screen brightness wildly at seemingly random times.

It tires my eyes out and causes headaches.

They went away when I got rid of the phone, as I suspected they would given they didn't start until I switched from the S3 to the 5S.

Also I use my phones naked and the iPhone was, bar none, the most uncomfortable phone I've ever held. The edges are sharp and the metal gets way too cold when it's cold outside and in the training facility. It would routinely shut itself down due to temperature (they throw an error and shut down). Most people with iPhone have that issue in the facility. The Samsung phones don't do that.

It did look good though. The white/silver 5/5S is a striking device for sure.

Well, again, I'm glad you found something that doesn't cause you health issues. I love my iPhones, their fonts, and the screen effects.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, again, I'm glad you found something that doesn't cause you health issues. I love my iPhones, their fonts, and the screen effects.

Yes, a few feel that one platform HAS to be superior to the other and panties get all twisted trying to make the point.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
After having a droid maxx the iPhone 6 will need a bigger screen 4.5"-5" and a much bigger battery. I've had a lot of smart phones and would rather have a lower spec smartphone with the battery life of the droid maxx or GN 3. Doesn't matter how badass the phone is if its always on the charger. My next phone choice will be between the note 4, iPhone 6, and the next droid maxx.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Google has no way to gift apps so moving from iOS to android no they cannot gift you the app for free. How else are they going to give you a full version paid app? Developers wouldn't just give me an APP FOR security reasons.

Going to iOS I did have some gift me their app for free if I provided the purchasing number from Google Play. It was super easy.

That's a huge issue.

It basically means you pay more to migrate to Android than you do to migrate to iOS (my experience).

I deleted old Google Account and started a new one and had to buy an app I had before for $20. When I moved to iOS for a while I got it for free (gifted from dev). Going back to Android and they said it wasn't possible. And it's not. Google account recovery is pretty bad and I could not get account back, so I ate the charge. Other paid apps I had gotten on iOS from other devs are unrecoverable on Google Play. About $65 worth of apps.

So. Don't expect to get most apps ported over from iOS. This isn't possible without the development taking a huge risk. This is easy to do moving from Android to iOS, though.

I don't quite see your point here. I mentioned that getting paid content from an iOS app was possible with some Android apps; I never said all. This didn't involve gifting the app at all. The app is free in the Android Play Store and costs $.99 in the iOS App Store. I bought the app on iOS, then bought additional paid content within the app. I then switched to Android, downloaded the free app from the Play Store, logged in with my credentials from the iOS app, and had access to the paid content from the iOS app on my Android devices. I still use the app to this day (almost four years later).

While you shared your experience, it doesn't seem like you downloaded every paid app on Android to see if you could migrate it to iOS to know whether or not this would be impossible with all Android apps. If I had bought paid content within this same Android app, I would have access to that paid content on iOS. Are you saying that my experience didn't happen and that I am lying about this?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't quite see your point here. I mentioned that getting paid content from an iOS app was possible with some Android apps; I never said all. This didn't involve gifting the app at all. The app is free in the Android Play Store and costs $.99 in the iOS App Store. I bought the app on iOS, then bought additional paid content within the app. I then switched to Android, downloaded the free app from the Play Store, logged in with my credentials from the iOS app, and had access to the paid content from the iOS app on my Android devices. I still use the app to this day (almost four years later).

While you shared your experience, it doesn't seem like you downloaded every paid app on Android to see if you could migrate it to iOS to know whether or not this would be impossible with all Android apps. If I had bought paid content within this same Android app, I would have access to that paid content on iOS. Are you saying that my experience didn't happen and that I am lying about this?

The only paid content that transfers is those tied to an account system. Words with friends in app purchases are tied to your zynga account so they transfer. That applies to any platform those apps support. Nothing else transfers. You have to contact the developer for a iTunes gift purchase or an apk on android if they want to take that risk. You cannot gift on android or add a purchase to an account.

You don't need to download the whole app store to know that. What I stated is pretty cut and dry.

In app purchases tied to Google Accounts won't transfer. the same way those tied to your iTunes account won't from iOS, or from a Microsoft Account, or from a Samsung Account (Samsung Apps), or from Amazon app Store.

Games often use their own account system for saves and IAP so what you say doesn't surprise me. I didn't dispute that. I added elaboration to the issue.

Going to iOS is easy cause iTunes allow devs to gift the it apps to people who migrate. Going to Android from iOS will leave you repurchasing anything that is tied to the iTunes account and not a service account in that app.

In other words. If you had to pay up front for the app on iOS good luck. Some IAP are transferable.

I've moved platforms 5-6 (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry) times and have become quite familiar with what moves from platform to platform and the limitations inherent in each migration.

On Samsung devices you can sometimes buy a cheap app from Samsung Apps to unlock the new free version with tons of IAP to get full functionality. It can save you dozens of dollars for some expensive apps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey