Samsung Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6 - which would you choose?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Respect to all iphone users. Its a great phone. I know cause my girl had one. Even though I don't like the design of the ipones in general, apple has a way with the overall "finish" of their products.
But in the end its not for me. S5 it is.

But you haven't seen it yet have you? You're gonna commit to it based on the rumors?

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
But you haven't seen it yet have you? You're gonna commit to it based on the rumors?

Very true. I haven't seen either of them. But as long as Samsung continue to provide the things that matter most to me such as removable battery, Amoled screen,
and certain elements of there ui such as true quick toggles, powersaving mode etc etc. I will continue to purchase their phones. No other OEM provides those features.
I suppose anything can happen and Samsung may not include those things. But I highly doubt it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Very true. I haven't seen either of them. But as long as Samsung continue to provide the things that matter most to me such as removable battery, Amoled screen,
and certain elements of there ui such as true quick toggles, powersaving mode etc etc. I will continue to purchase their phones. No other OEM provides those features.
I suppose anything can happen and Samsung may not include those things. But I highly doubt it.

I'm really hoping that Samsung does something new and delivers unquestionable build quality AND premium build materials. They know that's what the consumers want and, to me, there's just no good excuse anymore (not that there ever was) to not get the S5 perfect in these regards. Say what you want about the iPhone 5S but only those in denial would say it doesn't look and feel like a premium piece of equipment. There's no reason the S5 can't surpass it in that regard.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping that Samsung does something new and delivers unquestionable build quality AND premium build materials. They know that's what the consumers want and, to me, there's just no good excuse anymore (not that there ever was) to not get the S5 perfect in these regards. Say what you want about the iPhone 5S but only those in denial would say it doesn't look and feel like a premium piece of equipment. There's no reason the S5 can't surpass it in that regard.

Is it better than the iPhone 5? That aluminum body was cheap and scratched for no reason. :(

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Is it better than the iPhone 5? That aluminum body was cheap and scratched for no reason. :(

No matter what material is used, if you don't take care of your phone it will show. Some folks don't believe in using cases and believe in throwing their phones in their pockets with lint, sand, keys, and change. That's gonna show. I've never had a phone get beat up but I've had cases get scratched and burred. If I had to choose between the materials used for the phones hull I would always choose some sort of metal over some sort of plastic. ...but I'm gonna work to protect my phones using cases, tempered glass screen protectors, etc., since to me my phones don't represent an insignificant investment and I like to keep things looking nice.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No matter what material is used, if you don't take care of your phone it will show. Some folks don't believe in using cases and believe in throwing their phones in their pockets with lint, sand, keys, and change. That's gonna show. I've never had a phone get beat up but I've had cases get scratched and burred. If I had to choose between the materials used for the phones hull I would always choose some sort of metal over some sort of plastic. ...but I'm gonna work to protect my phones using cases, tempered glass screen protectors, etc., since to me my phones don't represent an insignificant investment and I like to keep things looking nice.

The iPhone 5 was coming out of the box with minor scratches. Apple even came out and acknowledged the material scratching as being normal. I had an iPhone 5 for a week to try it out and in day one I scratched it and I have no idea how. Didn't leave my house...

Not a rip on Apple. Just don't understand

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 5 was coming out of the box with minor scratches. Apple even came out and acknowledged the material scratching as being normal. I had an iPhone 5 for a week to try it out and in day one I scratched it and I have no idea how. Didn't leave my house...

Not a rip on Apple. Just don't understand

Yeahp. Apple dropped the ball on the 5 and cheaply anodized/painted the phone instead or using colored/dyed aluminum like they do on the 5s. HTC still makes the same mistake Apple did on their colored HTC Ones. That's what they get for trying to be cheap. Cheapness always shows, if you're gonna color aluminum do a quality job on a durable finish.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeahp. Apple dropped the ball on the 5 and cheaply anodized/painted the phone instead or using colored/dyed aluminum like they do on the 5s. HTC still makes the same mistake Apple did on their colored HTC Ones. That's what they get for trying to be cheap. Cheapness always shows, if you're gonna color aluminum do a quality job on a durable finish.

Glad to hear Apple fixed this. A premium build isn't very premium when it is finished cheaply.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Well I must be in denial then. And I will definitely say what I want about the iphone. Its a great phone, but I DO NOT like the look of it. In terms of Physical appearance its nothing special to me at all. And just because a bunch of tech journalist say otherwise I will not join the bandwagon. Like I said the "finish" and by that I mean materials use are definitely better than many. Including the s4 that I have but I don't like the look of it . And how do you know that's what the consumers want??

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I must be in denial then. And I will definitely say what I want about the iphone. Its a great phone, but I DO NOT like the look of it. In terms of Physical appearance its nothing special to me at all. And just because a bunch of tech journalist say otherwise I will not join the bandwagon. Like I said the "finish" and by that I mean materials use are definitely better than many. Including the s4 that I have but I don't like the look of it . And how do you know that's what the consumers want??

Well, I keep reading that in different tech forums so I infer that's at least what some consumers want. I think I've also read one or two journalists mention it as well. Yet I have never read anyone say they wanted plastic. You could change that though.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I keep reading that in different tech forums so I infer that's at least what some consumers want. I think I've also read one or two journalists mention it as well. Yet I have never read anyone say they wanted plastic. You could change that though.

And that's what you should have said in the first place "some" people want metal, and not generalize. To your comment about wanting plastic. I don't have to do that cause I could not give a donkey's behind what material they make it out off. As long as it has the things that I mentioned earlier.

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
OP,
As you said, you are on an Android focused page. So expect bias toward Android. Even myself... I would go for S5 because it will the Best Android phone that I can get with added benefits like removable battery.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
And that's what you should have said in the first place "some" people want metal, and not generalize. To your comment about wanting plastic. I don't have to do that cause I could not give a donkey's behind what material they make it out off. As long as it has the things that I mentioned earlier.

Different strokes

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Never an iPhone. S5 only if it meets certain expectations as far as hardware goes. And only if it's a Google play edition.

Posted via the Amazing Android Central App on my Nexus 10

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone, but lets assume that my goal would be to get the latest cutting-edge "stuff" that can be found on a smartphone.

The S5 is looking more and more like a "spec bump" phone, rather than the powerhouse with amazing features that it originally seemed to be (won't be curved, no retinal scanner, likely no fingerprint scanner, might not have a 2K screen even...). But what we do know is that Apple is gonna Bring It this year with the iPhone 6. Every other year, they try to step up their game, and despite peoples' hatred of Apple, they do it more consistently than most other companies.

So if I had to pick right now (which is silly because we really should wait for both devices to come out), I'd go with the iPhone.

Shaun Hammond

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably going to get the iPhone 6 this year and move back from Android. My Nexus devices and HTC One have been great, but eh. I think that tells you what I think of Samsung though, never going to buy another one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21