Will Google launch a GS5 Google Play Edition?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
They started last year with the HTC One and GS4. They continued to add more this year with the GPad, Xperia Z Ultra and Moto G.
We haven't seen one of the Note 3, so do you guys think we'll be see on for the upcoming S5? I'd like to see one since they've been locking down their current phones and making it increasingly difficult to root and flash custom ROMs

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Probably, I don't see why not. One thing is for sure, they better not give it an outrageous price...

Probably going to be a little more than the carrier versions. I think the S4 was like that

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The GN3 did have 32GB memory, but the storage was still around 23-24GB of actual space so bloatware is still there. Given the crap thats on there we need 64GB storage + 64GB microSD.

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish they would launch a Note 3 GPE. That would be a no brainier choice, although, I bet this is hard because of the implementation of s-pen. S4 GPE is stripped of all of its extras including IR, I don't know if IR works but it doesn't have native functionality.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The GN3 did have 32GB memory, but the storage was still around 23-24GB of actual space so bloatware is still there. Given the crap thats on there we need 64GB storage + 64GB microSD.

Most people are fine with 32GB. I have a few GB of music and a few of pics/videos. I have the 16GB S4 and I still have around 5 left of storage. 64GB internal + 64 external seems like overkill. I know 90% of people won't get anywhere near filling that up

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Saying "most people" is a bit of an overstatement. I know plenty of users who are not happy with the current storage options. You cannot put the app data on the microSD so putting the small few hundred MB's of data there is useless. Since we only started seeing 32GB (actually 23-24GB) as the new bottom from Samsung its insufficient especially if the device has no microSD.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC One X that only has 16GB of non-expandable storage. Because of this dilemma, I have grown to become frugal when it comes to storage. I can say I have everything I want on my phone (Music wise and app wise) and I still have 5.6GB of space >.<. I wish I had 32GB of storage :p

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but well worth it for me. I was coming from iOS and an iphone 5. My original plan back in December was to try the S4 GPE and see if I liked it and Android. Then, once the S5 was released, if it's worthy of an upgrade FOR ME, I'll buy the S5 and sell the S4 GPE. I still have an upgrade available with AT&T so even if a GPE isn't released, I have that to fall back on. If the S5 isn't a worthy upgrade FOR ME, I'll stick with the S4 GPE, which I'm completely happy with. My fear is that the S5 will have a 5.2" screen which I think is too big FOR ME.
Did you think it was an outrageous price when you got it?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but well worth it for me. I was coming from iOS and an iphone 5. My original plan back in December was to try the S4 GPE and see if I liked it and Android. Then, once the S5 was released, if it's worthy of an upgrade FOR ME, I'll buy the S5 and sell the S4 GPE. I still have an upgrade available with AT&T so even if a GPE isn't released, I have that to fall back on. If the S5 isn't a worthy upgrade FOR ME, I'll stick with the S4 GPE, which I'm completely happy with. My fear is that the S5 will have a 5.2" screen which I think is too big FOR ME.

It's really not that much bigger. Assuming they make the bottom bezel smaller. The G2 is also 5.2 and I find it about as easy to reach the top right corner as the S4. I doubt they'll use on-screen buttons though, so the bezel will be around the same size

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Time will tell, lol. If the overall dimensions of the phone are the same, I'll probably end up going to the S5. Would love to see 32GB embedded storage and a bump to at least 3GB of internal RAM.
It's really not that much bigger. Assuming they make the bottom bezel smaller. The G2 is also 5.2 and I find it about as easy to reach the top right corner as the S4. I doubt they'll use on-screen buttons though, so the bezel will be around the same size

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Time will tell, lol. If the overall dimensions of the phone are the same, I'll probably end up going to the S5. Would love to see 32GB embedded storage and a bump to at least 3GB of internal RAM.

There's no need for that much RAM. TouchWiz is a hog, but current apps don't use much RAM. The G2 and S4 do fine with just 2 gigs.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Also make it expandable storage!

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

Genebaby

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I hope they do and 32gb would be a nice start.

I'm coming from 64gb 4S where that has come in handy, particularly for shooting long videos unexpectedly. I always have around 16Gb free in case I need it.

I'm not sure fan of on screen buttons so a Galaxy phone with stock android is what I'm after, like the S4 I'm writing this on.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm fine with the MicroSD Card
Also make it expandable storage!

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

- - - Updated - - -

Just add a 64GB Micro SD card, case closed.
I hope they do and 32gb would be a nice start.

I'm coming from 64gb 4S where that has come in handy, particularly for shooting long videos unexpectedly. I always have around 16Gb free in case I need it.

I'm not sure fan of on screen buttons so a Galaxy phone with stock android is what I'm after, like the S4 I'm writing this on.