Fingerprint ID

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Comes with age. Nothing too wrong with paranoid.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Amen. The novelty of these features is great. I am usually the first to embrace new technology. I have been an early adopter of nearly every smartphone and tablet that I have owned. Does Target or Neiman Marcus ring a bell? Imagine going to either company for a unauthorized purchase with your fingerprint and try to convince them that it was not you.

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
personally i think fingerprint id is a gimmick that didnt really draw too many people to begin with when motorola had it on their Atrix(my first android) so i dont see why samsung would follow suit with the 5s besides to try and one up their gimmick of a scanner.

Gimmick 'coz samsung was not the one to first adopt it to their galaxy phones.
Epic if they did it first.hahahahaha!

Touch ID is very useful unlike air gesture and eye tracking which are totally gimmick. Eat battery like hell.

Sent from my ever love Moto X (aka Lenovo)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Gimmick 'coz samsung was not the one to first adopt it to their galaxy phones.
Epic if they did it first.hahahahaha!

Touch ID is very useful unlike air gesture and eye tracking which are totally gimmick. Eat battery like hell.

Sent from my ever love Moto X (aka Lenovo)

I don't know, and haven't heard, too many people that have 5s' say that Touch ID is a gimmick. Yet, folks that don't have 5s' and/or that haven't used TouchID seem to think it's a gimmick. Can anyone tell me why that is?

IMO, many of the features Samsung released in 2013 do indeed meet, at least, my criteria of a gimmick. Eye Tracking and the Smart Stay feature not only were, but still are, half-baked. Why is this?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, and haven't heard, too many people that have 5s' say that Touch ID is a gimmick. Yet, folks that don't have 5s' and/or that haven't used TouchID seem to think it's a gimmick. Can anyone tell me why that is?

I got to use a 5S this weekend with the feature enabled and do find it to be an interesting security measure if done right. Previously I wasn't too sure about the feature and never really thought too much about the opportunities it presents to make use of it. Like many others, I also thought it was perhaps a gimmick just like the eye tracking stuff mentioned in your post, except for me it was due to the fact that I hadn't used a device with it and didn't really understand it. I can now say that after using the feature it seems like something that makes sense if done right.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

IMO, many of the features Samsung released in 2013 do indeed meet, at least, my criteria of a gimmick. Eye Tracking and the Smart Stay feature not only were, but still are, half-baked. Why is this?

I will call it a gimmick. The difference is this: unlike Samsung's which are unreliable for working most of the time, and are more a convenience, Apple's fingerprint ID is a security feature. Still a gimmick, just not superfluous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I will call it a gimmick. The difference is this: unlike Samsung's which are unreliable for working most of the time, and are more a convenience, Apple's fingerprint ID is a security feature. Still a gimmick, just not superfluous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Point taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze