Share your Galaxy S5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The GS5 is unequivocally the best camera I've ever used. I have gotten so many ridiculously great pictures from it, and I've only had the phone for three months.

What really sets the GS5 apart from other cameras is the real time HDR mode. I'm continuously baffled as to how little attention this feature has garnered -- IMO, it is the single greatest feature on the GS5, and it's the reason I don't even bother with 3rd party camera apps. You can take absolutely stunning pictures outdoors with HDR mode enabled. And low light performance? Yeah, it's not that great. But this is the thing I realized about low light performance -- it's simply never going to look good. You can have OIS and ultra-pixel sensors, but the bottom line is, unless you are shooting inanimate objects, it's always going to be blurry/grainy. And even if it's sharper than normal, it's just not going to look pleasing to the eye. Low light shooting is simply a limitation of any camera much less a tiny sensor. Good lighting is what makes your pictures look good, and with good lighting, the GS5 camera can't be beat. And while I appreciate the quality of the sample pictures in this thread, any parent knows that pictures of squirmy, restless, and perpetually moving kids are the measure of a great camera. And by that measure, the GS5 is GREAT.

Anyway, here is my favorite shot of the summer so far:

GS5 sample.jpg

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I managed to snap a bunch of a pictures in a field of moving butterflies. I was generally impressed in how many of the butterflies it managed to catch mid-flight.
heqyvena.jpg
uhaqu5y7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The GS5 is unequivocally the best camera I've ever used. I have gotten so many ridiculously great pictures from it, and I've only had the phone for three months.

What really sets the GS5 apart from other cameras is the real time HDR mode. I'm continuously baffled as to how little attention this feature has garnered -- IMO, it is the single greatest feature on the GS5, and it's the reason I don't even bother with 3rd party camera apps. You can take absolutely stunning pictures outdoors with HDR mode enabled. And low light performance? Yeah, it's not that great. But this is the thing I realized about low light performance -- it's simply never going to look good. You can have OIS and ultra-pixel sensors, but the bottom line is, unless you are shooting inanimate objects, it's always going to be blurry/grainy. And even if it's sharper than normal, it's just not going to look pleasing to the eye. Low light shooting is simply a limitation of any camera much less a tiny sensor. Good lighting is what makes your pictures look good, and with good lighting, the GS5 camera can't be beat. And while I appreciate the quality of the sample pictures in this thread, any parent knows that pictures of squirmy, restless, and perpetually moving kids are the measure of a great camera. And by that measure, the GS5 is GREAT.

View attachment 128950

That picture is awesome!

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Where is this? ... shanghaichica great photo. Did you do any editing to the photo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1406384316485.jpg
    1406384316485.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 1406384332345.jpg
    1406384332345.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 1406384346596.jpg
    1406384346596.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1406384360395.jpg
    1406384360395.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 1406384376315.jpg
    1406384376315.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 47

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 128950

That is the hardest point to argue with people. The fact is that as good as cameras on phones are today, they still have their limitations. To get good shots, as you said, is you need light. In a scene where there is low light, the camera has 2 options: a) bump ISO up, and b) slow shutter speed down. This results in blurry and/or noisy pictures. That being said, we are making strides in technology and soon I'm sure we will have cameras that can take awesome low light photos, but for now we need to take what we can get.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I would rather have a camera that takes the best pictures in good light than the best pictures in low light. Because in low light, it's not really the "best" as much as "best you can do". If I want to take a great picture, I look for light not because of the way the S5 performs in low light, but because that's what you need for a great picture. My wife has the M7, and while her low light pictures may be marginally better than my occasional low light ones, none of them are as eye popping as the stuff I take in good light.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's a picture of a giant cloud in the distance. Which one do you like the better? The original or post processed? The original was taken at a zoomed position and both have been cropped.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1406453106428.jpg
    1406453106428.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 1406453121294.jpg
    1406453121294.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 38