Galaxy S5: Huge disappointment, Samsung TOTALLY dropped the ball!

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Huge disappointment, Samsung TOTALLY dropped the ball!

....Same horrible physical home button (ughhh), Basically the same capacity battery, a couple more megapixel camera, no improvement to the screen, it's significantly larger and heavier with only a 0.1" bump in screen size. No metal body as had long been rumored, same cheap s*** plastic look and feel as other Galaxy phones. Not a thing to really "move the needle." No 4000Ma battery, no optical image stabalization, no ultra HD screen, etc. In short, a serious piece of s***.
Samsung, you're going to get you *** handed to you by Apple.
This is just pathetic.

What's wrong with the home button?

People complain about plastic but what are phone cases made of?

It's durable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I always said what I thought they needed to change. They did it. So far I like what I see and am considering getting one for myself.

So many good looking devices being launched this year though. Tough choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That Sony Z2 is looking really good to me!

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I always said what I thought they needed to change. They did it. So far I like what I see and am considering getting one for myself.

So many good looking devices being launched this year though. Tough choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If the battery, performance, and camera are all as good as they appear to be, there should be very little to complain about. Not that that will stop people.

Posted via Android Central App

YzMENTALzY

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

What would be funny is if Samsung come out and say "WE WERE JUST TROLLING that was a dummy prototype and this is the real Galaxy S5" and show a metal version with a QHD screen and other goodies..

Tbh i am a apple user and read every single post in this thread (yes maybe sad but i dont know much about droid) the S5 will be my first droid.

OP said in 1st page Apple dont release a phone with no beta tag ... Well they did bring out siri which was in beta which they never mentioned in the keynote?.. Anyone remember Apple maps? I always knew once steve jobs is gone apple is gonna fall and it will me being a iphone guy moving to droid and loads of others doing the same... Apple is a 1 trick pony im sick of buying iphones and using them... Its the same sad story we all know all look the same just longer screen and crap resolution... Im really feeling the S5 heck i was willing to swap my iphone 5 64Gb for a S4... The only thing holding me back was the user memory of 9GB we will see what the S5 has if a 32GB variant is released in UK im getting that if not then il wait for something else

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site

So that means you are amazed with S5? You must be in different planet. Don't force people not to get disappointed after all the great expectations. All humans feel that way except maybe YOU!
Moto X is plastic so as Nexus 5 but take a closer look at the beauty of the look. S5 back looks hideous... awful. And the color gold is so so bad. They force to go with Gold because apple did it.

Overall it is the most powerful smartphone on paper.

By the way, Moto X active display and Touchless control are still the greatest innovation [stupid comment removed by moderator]

Sent from my ever love Moto X (aka LenovoX)

It's just a phone dude... no need to get so emotional about it or another...

Last edited by a moderator:

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

I think we might make way to much of the body build when all were gonna do is just put a case on it anyway admit it look at all the iphones with a case on the glass and metal phone enough said

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I don't understand all the hate. I'm probably always gonna stick with Moto but whatever. Yes it isn't 2K screen (Way overkill on a phone), not pure metal (don't like metal phones so no hair off my back).

The S2 and S3 were solid releases then with the S4 they threw every single thing they could think off on it, and that was a bad idea. Not much more you can do after that. It is good that now their refining their software a little bit, which is what they need. They added a fingerprint scanner, I didnt look into it but it would be cool if it was like my laptops where depending on the finger it could open different stuff. A heart rate thing, which goes with the fitness train companies are doing now a days, and thats pretty cool, maybe a little useless with their fitness band, but it dosen't mess with the phone so whatever!
It dosen't match the rumours, but neither did the Moto X and thats still a great phone. I'm finding good things and I hate Samsung, lol. But this is how you should do phones, Apple's starting to do more, but still keeping it, samsung has their thing, and sure HTC One2, and Moto X2 arn't going to be drastic changes either.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I was disappointed for sure. Expected a newer look or something I guess. Not many truly useful new features for me if any. It seems like the third iteration of the gs3 or something. Hopefully there is a GS5 prime or something similar this fall. I fear Samsung will lose even more market share this year and the GS5 will sell less then the GS4.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I was disappointed for sure. Expected a newer look or something I guess. Not many truly useful new features for me if any. It seems like the third iteration of the gs3 or something. Hopefully there is a GS5 prime or something similar this fall. I fear Samsung will lose even more market share this year and the GS5 will sell less then the GS4.

Loose more market share? Granted sales of the S5 may be lower than expected but Samsung did not loose market share last year. They increased their market share in many places.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Also, why are tons of people disappointed with the lack of a 2k display?

IMO, it's completely worthless on a smartphone as you will find it very, very hard to tell the difference unless you have superhuman vision.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

What would be funny is if Samsung come out and say "WE WERE JUST TROLLING that was a dummy prototype and this is the real Galaxy S5" and show a metal version with a QHD screen and other goodies..

Tbh i am a apple user and read every single post in this thread (yes maybe sad but i dont know much about droid) the S5 will be my first droid.

OP said in 1st page Apple dont release a phone with no beta tag ... Well they did bring out siri which was in beta which they never mentioned in the keynote?.. Anyone remember Apple maps? I always knew once steve jobs is gone apple is gonna fall and it will me being a iphone guy moving to droid and loads of others doing the same... Apple is a 1 trick pony im sick of buying iphones and using them... Its the same sad story we all know all look the same just longer screen and crap resolution... Im really feeling the S5 heck i was willing to swap my iphone 5 64Gb for a S4... The only thing holding me back was the user memory of 9GB we will see what the S5 has if a 32GB variant is released in UK im getting that if not then il wait for something else

After picking up the S5 you'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner.

I know you admittedly don't know much, so first lesson, Droid and Android are not synonymous. Android is the OS. Your S5 will be an android powered device, Droid is a Verizon branding for a few Android phones. 👍

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Apple isn't perfect but they aren't run by idiots either.

It amuses me how virtually very person I see who switches from an iPhone to an Android phone must first start by bashing the iPhone, like it's some sort of initiation rite. Why do you all have to sound like you have been living in the matrix all this while and have only just woken up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Apple isn't perfect but they aren't run by idiots either.

It amuses me how virtually very person I see who switches from an iPhone to an Android phone must first start by bashing the iPhone, like it's some sort of initiation rite. Why do you all have to sound like you have been living in the matrix all this while and have only just woken up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Its happens the other way around too ya know! You don't see me on an Apple forum complaining about that either. It doesn't bother me anyhow. We are all emotionally involved when it comes to things like our cell phones. Thats why we see these things the way they are.

PS: To answer your last questions.....perhaps because Apples ecosystem is closed like in the Matrix. Kinda similar ya know. :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I think as our smartphones become more and more important to us, the expectations - particularly with Apple and Samsung - have become unrealistic. This is also fueled by the technoblogs, whose writers IMO become bored easily nowadays because they see and use so many phones. This leads to articles about "lacking innovation", etc.

Smartphones do have room for some innovation I think, but it seems clear to me that the mobile phone industry is becoming a mature platform, and that it is just is not realistic to expect completely re-designed phones with incredible innovations every year anymore. Also, Apple and Samsung have unbelievably successful phones, so it is logical that they would want to somewhat continue the model that made their phones successful in the first place and not change their flagships TOO much. They have to walk a fine line too between alienating some current users of their wildly successful phones by changing too much and not updating enough so they get chastised for "lacking innovation". It is not an easy thing.

For me, most modern smartphones are very very good. I don't NEED them to do much more then they currently do. I WANT better battery life, I WANT more storage built in sometimes, etc. But with all the choices out there, I think both Apple and Samsung are doing a fine job of providing great phones that their users want. With the GS5, I am looking forward to the better battery life, better screen, faster processor, better feeling back, and I will see about the other added features.

There is always going to be the hyperbole, the silly "TOTAL FAIL" , "EPIC LETDOWN" even though everyone knows Samsung will sell another 50-70 million GS5's . Most folks who are objective can read past hyperbole and process things as "I wish is did <this better>" , and still thoroughly enjoy these great smartphones. I know I will.

YzMENTALzY

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Mate its not apple bashing or even iphone bashing. Its a well known fact to most people i want the best out of my phone and tbh honest what does the iphone offer? You want to answer a phone call with dirty hands? Oh theres a jailbreak tweak for that... You want to check your fitness and workouts? Theres a app and very expensive accessory for that... You want to watch a different format video/movie theres an app for that too... The iphone relies on apps on the app store and brings nothing to the table induvidually like the samsung S5 and other androids bring... The only reason i am moving to the "dark side" is because its open source & i want abit of freedom is that too much to ask for? Apple have always been closed source or semi open. Im sick of jailbreaking all the time just to get things the iphone should have in the first place... Apple have no more innovation left in them simple as that. Samsung are bringing out things left right and centre innovating things that people dont use but its there if needed... Sooner or later they probably be able to somehow make calls from someones backside they cram alot of things in thier phones and apple does what? Add a minor upgrade like a new chip and a 0.5" upgrade to the screen (and there you have it a new iphone) are you kidding me? The fingerprint sensor yes that was something new but android had that before in the MOTO Atrix (yes it was a fail but it was still there).

The only problem for me is the memory of the S5 they seriously need to somehow be able to move apps to sd or if i can root the thing and get rid of bloatware id be happy lucky for us in UK cellular networks dont add their overlay of bloatware so 1st thing im gonna try & delete is the knox software and s-health and stuff to save more space.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure what it is you're arguing. You clearly like the GS4/GS5 over the iPhone. So do I. Several hundred million others happen to prefer the iPhone for their needs. They are both great phones. I was just talking about expectations ..

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: HUGE Disappointment -- Samsung TOTALLY Dropped The Ball

Why in the world would ANYONE that has an S4 get this? Really? What is the ONE selling point? None at all.

What about people still using the S3? This would be a good upgrade for them. Not everybody buys every single new phone that comes out on the market.

Sierra1167

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

Okay. About to show my age here, but I look younger and I am okay with it...LOL. I started reading this thread just to see what people had to say about the new S5. I just got an S4, so not looking to buy for myself. However, my son is due for an upgrade in October so I was interested. Halfway through I started to chuckle to myself and suddenly became my mother. Please bear with me a moment. Why don't you all take a pause and realize how incredibly lucky we all are to live in this age of rapid technological advances. Put things in perspective. You younger ones grew up having computers and cell phones when those born not so many years before you were happy to have a Walkman and a Nintendo. You older ones who grew up like me....with rotary phones, cable boxes (if you were lucky enough to have something other than rabbit ears with foil) that sat on top of the TV and a dial to change channels, and "video games" like Pong. I remember when cell phones first came out. Huge heavy things that you had to have a carrying bag to lug around with you. Car phones that required you to have gigantic antennae that made you look like you were driving a bumper car. (people would actually buy fake antennae to make themselves look cool) Computers took up an entire room!!

I am only 46. It's not like I am 80. However, I remember and I am very aware of how far we have come. We now have all-in-one desktop computers with touchscreens, mini computers we call tablets that we can carry around, the Walkman has been replaced by MP3 players that can be about 2" around, and we have cell phones which are basically computers that you can also use to make phone calls and can fit in your pocket.

I'm not saying you need to stop wanting advancement. I am just saying you do need to temper your frustration by remembering that we are living in a time where things we take for granted were fodder for science fiction writers not so long ago.

Okay, going back to my rocker and knitting now. Just kidding. Going back to work and doing homework....I have a class tonight. ;)

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

....Same horrible physical home button (ughhh), Basically the same capacity battery, a couple more megapixel camera, no improvement to the screen, it's significantly larger and heavier with only a 0.1" bump in screen size. No metal body as had long been rumored, same cheap s*** plastic look and feel as other Galaxy phones. Not a thing to really "move the needle." No 4000Ma battery, no optical image stabalization, no ultra HD screen, etc. In short, a serious piece of s***.
Samsung, you're going to get you *** handed to you by Apple.
This is just pathetic.

haha apple has not had any new innovations to even come close to being a device up to par with sammy lately. iphones have barely changed at all since their debut in 2007. i just think sammy didnt want to release a sub standard half finished S5 so the did a small refresh on note 3 tech and will release the new "rumored" tech in the Note 4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance