Galaxy S5 has the storage problem the Galaxy S4 had

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Well I agree and disagree with you on this. Personally I don't do well with 16GB of internal storage with android devices.
I'm not saying there are people who won't need more, just that it's a special case, and one that's covered by the 32GB version, just like the iPhone, Nexus 5, and most other flagship phones. At least with this one you can add lots of media storage much cheaper than you can by upgrading your phone.

My S4 was unworkable because of this. It drove me to the iphone 5S because I was frustrated and need more internal storage.
The base model of the iPhone 5S is also 16GB. The iPhone 5S has almost the exact same problem, but there's no way to add inexpensive storage for media. They charge $100 to go to 32GB and $200 to go to 64GB. I added 64GB of storage to my S4 for $50.

Something else that needs to be kept in mind is all apps are getting bigger, not just games. Some productivity apps can rival games in size. Also remember that the downloaded size is like a zip file. It gets bigger after installation.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
I have ~120 apps installed on my phone and I have over 5GB of the 8GB of internal storage left. All those apps would have to double in size in the next year for it to be an issue with the S5. I don't think I'm that far off from an "average" user, either. I have mostly social media, some productivity and automation apps, regular media apps (Netflix, Pandora, etc.), a few games (most Angry Birds, Candy Crush, black jack, craps, solitaire) some customization (Nova, WidgetLocker, a few widgets) and some apps to keep a toddler busy for a few minutes. I've disabled, but not deleted, most of the Samsung, Google and Verizon bloatware. All those applications take up 2.74GB. What is it that I'm missing that all these people are using that takes up so much space, and why isn't the 32GB version a viable option for those that need more space?

I'm not saying that more storage wouldn't be nice, and I'd probably pick that over an IP67 phone, but I also don't think it's this catastrophic failure like everyone is saying. I'm also not seeing any actual evidence that it will matter, just a bunch of vague assertions that 8GB isn't enough because "stuff is big."

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
So people don't like the 16 GB (8.5) with 128 GB expandable option. Guess that's why there's a 32 GB option--with yet another 128 GB expandable.

Posted via Android Central App

boeingrules

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The base model of the iPhone 5S is also 16GB. The iPhone 5S has almost the exact same problem, but there's no way to add inexpensive storage for media. They charge $100 to go to 32GB and $200 to go to 64GB. I added 64GB of storage to my S4 for $50.

Except you're forgetting that the problem is that half of the 16GB is taken by the system. I'm almost certain that the iPhone does not have this problem, because even on its desktops it only takes up around 5GB of space. Yes, 16GB is a bit on the skimpy side for any phone these days, but an 8GB phone that was meant to be a 16GB phone is unacceptable, with the option of an SD card or not.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Except you're forgetting that the problem is that half of the 16GB is taken by the system. I'm almost certain that the iPhone does not have this problem, because even on its desktops it only takes up around 5GB of space. Yes, 16GB is a bit on the skimpy side for any phone these days, but an 8GB phone that was meant to be a 16GB phone is unacceptable, with the option of an SD card or not.
So 8GB is a small amount of storage for apps only, but 11GB for both apps and media is acceptable? I have an order of magnitude more than 3GB of media on my phone. I had to spend $50 to be able to do that with a Samsung device, but would have had to spend $200 to do it with an Apple device. I've already shown that you need less than 3GB to store pretty much everything but super large games or productivity apps (neither of which anyone has been able to show are commonly used). How is having 5GB of unused storage so much worse than having 8GB of unused storage?

Storage devices have been advertised as total storage, not storage after an OS was installed for as long as storage devices have been sold (i.e. decades). Samsung isn't doing anything out of the ordinary by also advertising that way. Every other phone manufacturer, including Apple, does the same thing.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have ~120 apps installed on my phone and I have over 5GB of the 8GB of internal storage left. All those apps would have to double in size in the next year for it to be an issue with the S5. I don't think I'm that far off from an "average" user, either. I have mostly social media, some productivity and automation apps, regular media apps (Netflix, Pandora, etc.), a few games (most Angry Birds, Candy Crush, black jack, craps, solitaire) some customization (Nova, WidgetLocker, a few widgets) and some apps to keep a toddler busy for a few minutes. I've disabled, but not deleted, most of the Samsung, Google and Verizon bloatware. All those applications take up 2.74GB. What is it that I'm missing that all these people are using that takes up so much space, and why isn't the 32GB version a viable option for those that need more space?

I'm not saying that more storage wouldn't be nice, and I'd probably pick that over an IP67 phone, but I also don't think it's this catastrophic failure like everyone is saying. I'm also not seeing any actual evidence that it will matter, just a bunch of vague assertions that 8GB isn't enough because "stuff is big."

On my Moto X (have to use this as I have no Samsung as a daily driver), I have 11.88 GB available after the OS takes it's share. I only have 75-80 apps on my phone (just looked; can't remember, but it is in the high 70's), and a Nandroid. Altogether, I have used about 5.88 GB, so I am at half capacity. Because of the limited space on my device, I can't carry everything that I would like. As a result, I am very selective on which apps I install. Different users, different needs.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
On my Moto X (have to use this as I have no Samsung as a daily driver), I have 11.88 GB available after the OS takes it's share. I only have 75-80 apps on my phone (just looked; can't remember, but it is in the high 70's), and a Nandroid. Altogether, I have used about 5.88 GB, so I am at half capacity. Because of the limited space on my device, I can't carry everything that I would like.
Is that 5.88 GB of apps only or 5.88 GB total used?

Different users, different needs.
We aren't talking about individual users, we're talking about most users. What huge apps are you running that you think are installed by a majority of users?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is that 5.88 GB of apps only or 5.88 GB total used?

We aren't talking about individual users, we're talking about most users. What huge apps are you running that you think are installed by a majority of users?

5.88 total. Including a Nandroid. You can't cluster users in a general pool, as there are no two users who use devices exactly the same way.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
5.88 total. Including a Nandroid.
So how much of that 5.88 GB could be put on an SD card? You're comparing apples and oranges. The S5 has an external SD card, so stuff like backups, pictures, videos and music can be stored externally. The only thing that it makes sense to compare is how much space apps take.

You can't cluster users in a general pool, as there are no two users who use devices exactly the same way.
I'll bet that every major OEM will disagree with you about clustering users into large categories. They do it very effectively. That's a pretty obvious, and common logical fallacy. You're saying that because you and I don't use our phones exactly the same then there can't be similarities with how any two people use their phones. It's like saying that because my wife and I don't have the same size feet then no two people will wear the same size shoes. That's clearly false, many people wear the same size shoes. In fact, they produce shoes knowing what percent of people wear each size shoe. They make more 10.5's than they do 15's. Just because Shaq has to shop at specific stores to find shoes his size doesn't mean they can't have shoe stores that cater to a majority of the population. Just because no two individuals are the same doesn't mean that there aren't similarities that are shared by large groups.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

A few counter points:
- The 32 GB model wasn't available on all carriers for a while in the US (not sure if it is even now). I was glad VZW had it. So it may not even be an option for certain carriers.
- There is a distinction between power users' ability to deal with storage issues, and how "normal" users could. For power users, phone geeks, people who post in forums, etc having a SD card option helps with storage (though not all apps can go there still). However for normal, average buyers, I would bet they don't even know about or use a SD card..
- I don't know about "stuff is big", but "stuff is definitely getting bigger "nowadays. 4K video, more megapixel in the camera leading to larger photo sizes, and yes, larger and larger app and game apk's. This isn't vague IMO, it is what is happening with mobile in today's world. More storage is required today than 2 years ago for doing exactly the same thing for the reasons just stated.

Bottom line for me, IMO staring out with 7+GB of space is too little in 2014 for the average Joe buying a top-of-the-line, high-end, flagship smartphone.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
microSD shouldn't be the answer nor excuse.

Aren't storage cheap and Samsung knew this was an issue with the S4 and they still come out with a 16GB.

Sorry but are they just waiting for Apple to make the move to making 32GB standard/minimum?

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras." - MacKenzie (HBO, The NEWSROOM)

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
A few counter points:
- The 32 GB model wasn't available on all carriers for a while in the US (not sure if it is even now). I was glad VZW had it. So it may not even be an option for certain carriers.
That's not Samsung's fault. It's also supports my claim that most people don't need or even want the 32 GB version. If it were necessary to have that much storage it would be the most popular seller and all the carriers would order them first.
- There is a distinction between power users' ability to deal with storage issues, and how "normal" users could. For power users, phone geeks, people who post in forums, etc having a SD card option helps with storage (though not all apps can go there still). However for normal, average buyers, I would bet they don't even know about or use a SD card..
That sound completely made up to me. If no one knows about micro SD cards, then why are there several different OEMs and why are they sold in big box stores that don't even specialize in electronics (e.g. Walmart, Target). The SD card and similar technologies have been the standard for storage in portable devices like phones and cameras for well over a decade now. There are several OEM's still putting R&D into them to make them bigger and faster. All of that points to external storage being popular and well known. What evidence is there that most people don't even know about SD cards?
- I don't know about "stuff is big", but "stuff is definitely getting bigger "nowadays. 4K video, more megapixel in the camera leading to larger photo sizes, and yes, larger and larger app and game apk's. This isn't vague IMO, it is what is happening with mobile in today's world. More storage is required today than 2 years ago for doing exactly the same thing for the reasons just stated.
Videos and photos can be stored on external storage and synced with cloud services. Not giving any actual data on how much bigger the most popular apps are is the definition of vague. I've shown with actual numbers how much space many of the most popular apps, including OEM, Google and Verizon bloatware, takes up (<3 GB). No one has shown any evidence that any of the most popular apps take up significant space. I'll ask again, what app(s) am I missing that are used by a large number of people, that also take up >5 GB of space, total?

Bottom line for me, IMO staring out with 7+GB of space is too little in 2014 for the average Joe buying a top-of-the-line, high-end, flagship smartphone.
But how can that be the "bottom line" if there is no evidence to support it? All of the top selling phones so far only have 16 GB base models, no one has shown, and three of them are iPhones that don't have external storage options.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
That's not Samsung's fault. It's also supports my claim that most people don't need or even want the 32 GB version. If it were necessary to have that much storage it would be the most popular seller and all the carriers would order them first.
Their fault or not, the answer can't be "just get the 32 GB version" if it's not an option for some people. And it may not be

That sound completely made up to me. If no one knows about micro SD cards, then why are there several different OEMs and why are they sold in big box stores that don't even specialize in electronics (e.g. Walmart, Target). The SD card and similar technologies have been the standard for storage in portable devices like phones and cameras for well over a decade now. There are several OEM's still putting R&D into them to make them bigger and faster. All of that points to external storage being popular and well known. What evidence is there that most people don't even know about SD cards?

No matter how it "sounds to you", it's the truth. Go into a mall or a DMV and see an anyone walking around even knows if their phone has a SD card. Or if they do, do they use it. It can "sound" however you want. Regular people do not use SD cards in theirs phones normally (unless it is already in it when purchased perhaps).

Videos and photos can be stored on external storage and synced with cloud services. ....

I'm glad you feel the average person is going to use cloud storage for a 2GB 4K video. We can agree to disagree that 16GB base models with 7GB of usable space are OK for a flagship phone. I understand your opinion, I just don't share it. It's OK, really.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Their fault or not, the answer can't be "just get the 32 GB version" if it's not an option for some people. And it may not be
We're talking about the phone, not carriers. Again, the claim is that most people will be fine with a 16GB model, and the way the carriers order them supports that. How does carriers only carrying the 16 GB version at first support the idea that people need more storage? If it doesn't, then why are you making that argument?

No matter how it "sounds to you", it's the truth. Go into a mall or a DMV and see an anyone walking around even knows if their phone has a SD card. Or if they do, do they use it. It can "sound" however you want. Regular people do not use SD cards in theirs phones normally (unless it is already in it when purchased perhaps).
It doesn't matter what you say about it either. What matter are facts. The fact is that Android phones have always had SD slots, so it's not a new feature. The fact is that the cards are popular enough to be sold at large chain stores. The fact is that devices have been using similar storage devices for over a decade. All of those support that SD cards are widely known about. What fact supports that they aren't popular? Guessing at what people might say at the DMV is not a fact. It's a wild guess and totally unsupported by any real world data.

I'm glad you feel the average person is going to use cloud storage for a 2GB 4K video.
No, I said people would use an SD card for that. A 128 GB model just came out, which makes the S5 the phone with more than twice the possible memory of any other smart phone. If media storage is important, this is by far the best phone. They can back it up to cloud storage if they want, but given that there aren't really a whole lot of options for actually viewing 4K videos, I'm going to guess it won't be an issue.

I also think it's funny that apparently the "average person" doesn't even know what an SD card is despite them being popular and widely used for over a decade, but they'll be taking 4K videos despite UHTV's being very new and unpopular. How about you go to your DMV an see how many people have UHTV's that will allow them to play 4k videos?

I understand your opinion, I just don't share it. It's OK, really.
I'm presenting actual facts to back up my opinion. Your opinion is based on, as far as anyone can tell, absolutely nothing. So I'm positive you don't actually understand either opinion. You just happen to have one opinion and are totally ignoring any hard evidence that it may be wrong. No one is forcing you to discuss it.

8er

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
They will offer a 32GB version. Expect to pay 80 to 100 dollars more for it.

Think of the revenues generated the adding <10 dollars to the cost of the 32GB device. 70 dollars * millions = big bonuses

jihart33

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have really had no problem with my S4 and this situation. One time I needed to get rid of an app or two for room, but the last time I used those apps was a millennium ago.. Lol I would prefer the 32gb though!

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So people don't like the 16 GB (8.5) with 128 GB expandable option. Guess that's why there's a 32 GB option--with yet another 128 GB expandable.

I have the 32 gb note 3 and a 64 gb sd card for a total of 96 gb.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer