Galaxy S5 will still sell like gangbusters

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store to get my mom a case for the droid mini she bought, and the clerk handed me a case for galaxy mini. I told her "Samsung doesn't make the droid" and she said "yes, they have a mini now".

The point... Samsung is android in the market's mind.

In spite of all of the different manufacturers and phones I see on Android central, in the real world, I see two different types of phones... IPhone, and Galaxy.

I work with many people, I see many new people every day, and I've never seen an HTC one in the wild. I've never seen an LG g2. Now that I think about it, I see more flip phones or feature phones than non-galaxy androids.

The key is, that this will sell because it's the "new galaxy". People say either "is that the new galaxy?" or "what kind of phone is that?" And when someone answers the name of some android device, the next question is "is it an android phone?"

The truth is that for 99% of the population in the US, Samsung doesn't have to really improve anything. They just have to keep making an awesome camera, and not screw anything up too bad.

So, to all of the negative commenters about this uninspired device... even if people hated the phone, their answer won't be that they should have gotten a different android phone...They will think "I should have just gotten an iPhone". Because that's all there is in the mind of most consumers... galaxy, and iPhone.

End of speech.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: S5 will sill sell like gangbusters

I owned three Samsung phones (the last an S3), but now am a proud owner of an LG G2... A Galaxy S4 isn't in the same league. Galaxy batteries absolutely suck , their charging ports suck, their SD card slots suck, etc. Samsung has to convince the public with a billion dollar Ad campaign their phones don't suck! I would challenge any Galaxy owner to compare their beloved phone against the LG G2 and I will guarantee, your phone in every way, will get trounced...did I mention the LG G3 is right around the corner, and if you choose the Samsung S5 Titanic, you better hope for a life raft, cause the G3 will bring the biggest iceberg you have ever seen. Lol! Hey, it's a free country, choose what you want, but I was once the biggest Samsung fanboy this side of an Epic 4G!!!

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I owned three Samsung phones (the last an S3), but now am a proud owner of an LG G2... A Galaxy S4 isn't in the same league. Galaxy batteries absolutely suck , their charging ports suck, their SD card slots suck, etc. Samsung has to convince the public with a billion dollar Ad campaign their phones don't suck! I would challenge any Galaxy owner to compare their beloved phone against the LG G2 and I will guarantee, your phone in every way, will get trounced...did I mention the LG G3 is right around the corner, and if you choose the Samsung S5 Titanic, you better hope for a life raft, cause the G3 will bring the biggest iceberg you have ever seen. Lol! Hey, it's a free country, choose what you want, but I was once the biggest Samsung fanboy this side of an Epic 4G!!!

You'll lose this battle with anyone who wants a removable battery and memory card slot

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Batteries don't suck on the Galaxy line, they just don't have as much capacity. It's obvious that they won't last as long. Either way, my S4 gets exceptional battery life with the stock battery :p

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

OK let me clarify my thoughts...Samsung phones, in their entirety, suck! When you return an S3 four times, I define that as SUCK!! When the keyboard on an Epic 4G falls off and hits my cat on the head, my cat would say Samsung phones suck also!! How about buying a phone with real battery capacity so you aren't running around like a fool gasping for air looking for an outlet to plug your phone in! Geez, their marketing department can pull the wool over some eyes so tightly, they can make you laugh when you smash your toe into the coffee table, GEEZ!!!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

OK let me clarify my thoughts...Samsung phones, in their entirety, suck! When you return an S3 four times, I define that as SUCK!! When the keyboard on an Epic 4G falls off and hits my cat on the head, my cat would say Samsung phones suck also!! How about buying a phone with real battery capacity so you aren't running around like a fool gasping for air looking for an outlet to plug your phone in! Geez, their marketing department can pull the wool over some eyes so tightly, they can make you laugh when you smash your toe into the coffee table, GEEZ!!!

I charge my battery about once every two days, and even then, I just swap the battery. I'm not "running around gasping for air." Having a bad experience is one thing. I know tons of people with S3s and S4s and not one of them has had to send their phones back for any issues...

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

i have the s3 since launch, i dropped it like a million times, and it still works like it did the day i got it.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
And this is why the word sheep comes in, i have heard iphone users being called sheep,because they flock to a name and buy into marketing,so because the s5 will sell billions the whole world should run out and buy it,i currently own the htc droid DNA and LG G2 and are very pleased with them,maybe if some of these sheep would look past the name, they will see there are other makers of smartphones that are far better,i could never understand why people buy into marketing, i buy into the phone that i like best regardless to who makes it.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
lol calm down killer! you sound a bit ridiculous honestly smh

You'll lose this battle with anyone who wants a removable battery and memory card slot

Posted via Android Central App
agreed, this is why I like Samsungs so much, but Im unimpressed with the S5

Batteries don't suck on the Galaxy line, they just don't have as much capacity. It's obvious that they won't last as long. Either way, my S4 gets exceptional battery life with the stock battery :p

Im rooted but my S4 also gets great battery life

why you trolling an S5 thread?

I charge my battery about once every two days, and even then, I just swap the battery. I'm not "running around gasping for air." Having a bad experience is one thing. I know tons of people with S3s and S4s and not one of them has had to send their phones back for any issues...

do you use it much? I mean come on man, once every two days.........

i have the s3 since launch, i dropped it like a million times, and it still works like it did the day i got it.
while the build quality seems and looks bad, Samsung phones are tough

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
do you use it much? I mean come on man, once every two days.........
Yeah, lately I've been doing it a little more often, but usually more than a day and a half. That's with around 6-7 hours of screen time. which is a lot if you ask me.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, lately I've been doing it a little more often, but usually more than a day and a half. That's with around 6-7 hours of screen time. which is a lot if you ask me.

lol yeah sorry, I gotta call bs! you ain't getting 6-7hrs screen time on a stock battery, sorry not buying it dude, if you are it's in airplane mode on wifi

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No. That S5 is an embarrassment. They should have called it an S4S. Or S3S+. Or S4+ Active. Samsung is DOOMED. TOTAL FAIL SAMSUNG!

:)

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
No. That S5 is an embarrassment. They should have called it an S4S. Or S3S+. Or S4+ Active. Samsung is DOOMED. TOTAL FAIL SAMSUNG!

:)

I feel compelled to point out that the sarcasm is going to fly WAAAAAAYYYYYYY over somebody's head, lol.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
lol yeah sorry, I gotta call bs! you ain't getting 6-7hrs screen time on a stock battery, sorry not buying it dude, if you are it's in airplane mode on wifi

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

This doesn't prove it's a stock battery, but you'll have to take my word for it. I have no reason to lie...

Attachments

• 1393368752017.jpg
    1393368752017.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1393368765276.jpg
    1393368765276.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 47

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store to get my mom a case for the droid mini she bought, and the clerk handed me a case for galaxy mini. I told her "Samsung doesn't make the droid" and she said "yes, they have a mini now".

The point... Samsung is android in the market's mind.

In spite of all of the different manufacturers and phones I see on Android central, in the real world, I see two different types of phones... IPhone, and Galaxy.

I work with many people, I see many new people every day, and I've never seen an HTC one in the wild. I've never seen an LG g2. Now that I think about it, I see more flip phones or feature phones than non-galaxy androids.

The key is, that this will sell because it's the "new galaxy". People say either "is that the new galaxy?" or "what kind of phone is that?" And when someone answers the name of some android device, the next question is "is it an android phone?"

The truth is that for 99% of the population in the US, Samsung doesn't have to really improve anything. They just have to keep making an awesome camera, and not screw anything up too bad.

So, to all of the negative commenters about this uninspired device... even if people hated the phone, their answer won't be that they should have gotten a different android phone...They will think "I should have just gotten an iPhone". Because that's all there is in the mind of most consumers... galaxy, and iPhone.

End of speech.

I agree. Samsung is like the new apple. They can make a phone that the tech geeks say "oh this sucks it is awful" but the majority of consumers will see it and recognize it as "being android" and go for that over the g2 or htc one which tech sites claimed to be better. It is hard being the little guy, but i guess samsung can get a pass because they are so big and even with some claiming the s5 a "disappointment" it will still be the best selling android of all time, just like the s4 was last year and the s3 was before that. Not to mention samsung is doing what others refuse to do, offer removable battery and sd card slot. And although to many that is not a big deal, to a lot of the older and less cloud based users, they see this as a great thing and just one more reason samsung sells devices like crazy.