S5 Heart Rate Sensor - why?

Timbo7510

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
This may sound at first a useful feature, well as useful as an inflatable dartboard. How practical is it to check your pulse while working out (presuming that's when you are most likely wanting to know it) given you have to take your phone out of a pocket, turn on the sensor and then put your finger on it. The Gear 2 and Gear Fit have hrm features but they 'are' practical as they can constantly display heart rate and are easy to use. So I will not purchase a S5 on this feature. I think the most useful feature announced was the fancy battery saving mode! Comments?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I think it is nice to have if you don't have a smart watch that has one. Plus it is quick and easy to do.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it, either. All you need to check your pulse is a way to count seconds. Even a really cheap watch will do that and you don't need to get your phone out, start the counter and put your finger over the LED (which I'm assuming is how it works) to do it. The heart rate monitors built in to watches are nice because they'll check your heart rate constantly without you doing anything. With the S5 you need to go to more work than you can with other methods and hold your relatively large and expensive phone in one hand while working out. Both of those seem like deal breakers to me with the only upside being it probably logs your heart rate without you having to do anything.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This may sound at first a useful feature, well as useful as an inflatable dartboard. How practical is it to check your pulse while working out (presuming that's when you are most likely wanting to know it) given you have to take your phone out of a pocket, turn on the sensor and then put your finger on it. The Gear 2 and Gear Fit have hrm features but they 'are' practical as they can constantly display heart rate and are easy to use. So I will not purchase a S5 on this feature. I think the most useful feature announced was the fancy battery saving mode! Comments?

Are u kidding? This post is completely subjective
A lot of people check their heart rate while working out and this actually is better than holding ur hand to ur pulse because this gives u an actual number which u can hopefully save and track
People always trying to find something to hate
I think the watch would have been easier, but since I do work out I will be using this to track my heart beat

Samsung did lie about it being the first smartphone to do it...there was an app that was really cool and used to do this...had it on my S4...forget what its called

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Are u kidding? This post is completely subjective
A lot of people check their heart rate while working out and this actually is better than holding ur hand to ur pulse because this gives u an actual number
People always trying to find something to hate
I think the watch would have been easier, but since I do work out I will be using this to track my heart beat

Well think about it, if it were a smaller phone, then it may be useful. But to carry around and pull out this almost-phablet every time you want to check your heart rate is going to be a bit cumbersome

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well think about it, if it were a smaller phone, then it may be useful. But to carry around and pull out this almost-phablet every time you want to check your heart rate is going to be a bit cumbersome

I really doubt the S5 size will have an impact on the usability of the feature...I used to do it on my S4 and it was perfectly fine....I wouldnt mind doing it on a Note 3
The S5 is not that huge

Timbo7510

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, subjective, because thats how I feel this feature is not practical in the 'real world'. You have to stop what you are doing to use it and already your heart rate is not at a constant.
I have an S4 and love it. But like air view and smart scroll it will not be used by most and will be considered a gimmick. The S4 is a great phone and the S5 will be also. What really lets it down the most is lack of design inspiration and that s a whole different thread.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Isn't this feature already available as an app? To me, it's not only about how useful it is, but about its value considering that I can already replicate the feature using a free iOS app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people check their heart rate while working out and this actually is better than holding ur hand to ur pulse because this gives u an actual number which u can hopefully save and track.
How do you not get an actual number by counting the number of pulses over 6 or 10 seconds and multiplying by 10 or 6 respectively? It's the exact same method the phone uses.

I suppose it could be convenient if you only check during rest periods and use the built in software and if there's no way to enter the number manually, but that's two big assumptions and one software flaw.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a pretty cool feature actually. Most people don't check their pulse while they are working out anyway. When I've done it, it's before, directly after and then periodically after the workout to see how long it takes your heart to settle back down.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, for me its a GREAT feature since I've been toying and looking around for heart rate monitors for the past few years. From my years of training, I've realized that I burn the greatest amount of fat when my heart rate is 147 and higher for my weight and age. I would definitely be very interested in the bracelet if it tracks your heart rate by just wearing it. If Samsung has implemented this monitor well, it will be a very good thing to have!

Timbo7510

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree! Bracelet (Gear Fit) or watch (Gear 2) but not a phone! I use Polar and Garmin HRM's (with HRM chest belt) but a watch / braceletwould be more convienient as you would wear all the time. Most of my training is on the bike and I watch my HR during - so phone is useless for the purpose - in fact down right dangerous!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital