Why is Samsung still using just one speaker on the Galaxy S5?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: why is Samsung still using just one speaker on the S5?

why is Samsung still using just one speaker on the S5?

The only flagship that has more than one speaker is the One. Which only has them because they're on the front, it doesn't make sense to have two on the back.
We've yet to see how loud it is...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Jay Holm

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

The only flagship that has more than one speaker is the One. Which only has them because they're on the front, it doesn't make sense to have two on the back.
We've yet to see how loud it is...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Apparently the Sony Z2 has stereo speakers also.

Last edited by a moderator:

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Do you really notice stereo sound on a ohone anyways? As long as it's loud and clear that's good enough for me. Why do you want multiple speakers? 😶

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Do you really notice stereo sound on a ohone anyways? As long as it's loud and clear that's good enough for me. Why do you want multiple speakers? 

Multiple speakers could/should be louder, and if they're front facing that would also help. I agree with the stereo sound, though. If the device isn't physically wider than your head you're not going to get a true stereo effect.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Multiple speakers could/should be louder, and if they're front facing that would also help. I agree with the stereo sound, though. If the device isn't physically wider than your head you're not going to get a true stereo effect.

The HTC One had stereo front facing speakers and the S4 was still louder in tests done by GSMARENA. The quality may be a bit better but it is a phone afterall and if I truly want quality audio out of it, I will use headphones or a dedicated speaker.
As long as the S5 is as loud as the S4 and maintains the same quality, I will be more than satisfied with it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The HTC One had stereo front facing speakers and the S4 was still louder in tests done by GSMARENA. The quality may be a bit better but it is a phone afterall and if I truly want quality audio out of it, I will use headphones or a dedicated speaker.
As long as the S5 is as loud as the S4 and maintains the same quality, I will be more than satisfied with it.

It's not all about loudness. Quality was substantially better and it made for a much better multimedia experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

If you're watching video's its much nicer to have speaker/s facing you rather than facing away from you. If the S4 was louder it would still be hindered by facing the wrong way. Now if your simply listening to music than you can just flip the phone and nullify the speaker placement all together. If you had the One than you would be more apt to appreciate the front facing duel speakers

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

It's not all about loudness. Quality was substantially better and it made for a much better multimedia experience.

I compared the two of them side by side, the only noticeable improvement was more bass emphasis and a slightly fuller sound (2 speakers vs. 1).

In actual usage and when not in a direct comparsion, the S4 performed perfectly fine, sure you can say the One is better but the ergonomic disadvantages associated with the dual front facing speakers are not worth the miniscule gains in quality over the S4.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I compared the two of them side by side, the only noticeable improvement was more bass emphasis and a slightly fuller sound (2 speakers vs. 1).

In actual usage and when not in a direct comparsion, the S4 performed perfectly fine, sure you can say the One is better but the ergonomic disadvantages associated with the dual front facing speakers are not worth the miniscule gains in quality over the S4.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the ergonomics. Well worth the trade IMO.

The S4 to me had a much less full sound (missing more than just bass). That, and the One was much more usable as a speaker phone. Being able set the phone on its back to still use it and not muffle the call is great.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why is Samsung still using just one speaker on the S5?

When I'm watching videos, I use a good set of bluetooth headphones. They sound much better than the phones external speakers, and you don't have to distrube anyone. It's so obnoxious to hear someone next to you with their phone blaring.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Yet we're not comparing that are we? We've been talking about speaker vs speakers and our opinions there of.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

The S4 to me had a much less full sound (missing more than just bass). That, and the One was much more usable as a speaker phone. Being able set the phone on its back to still use it and not muffle the call is great.

Yeah, I agree about the use as a speakerphone. The S4 is easily muffled while laying screen up on a table and is pretty much unusable in that way. I have missed many calls since my phone was laying on the table, if I used the phone naked, this issue wouldn't be as bothersome since Samsung added a notch to keep the phone raised and in turn not block the speaker but with a case, audio is muffled unless I flip the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

I wish Samsung would use front-facing speakers. They even stopped using them on their tablets.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the muffled sound when on its back. I didn't like that the note 2 speaker was on the back and although I prefer front speakers, speaker at the bottom in my note 3 is better than on the back

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the muffled sound when on its back. I didn't like that the note 2 speaker was on the back and although I prefer front speakers, speaker at the bottom in my note 3 is better than on the back

I too find that a bottom of the device speaker placement is a good compromise but very few Samsung devices have this specific placement besides the Note 3 so options are limited.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

The G2 had the bottom speaker as well and I agree it's better than the back

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I too find that a bottom of the device speaker placement is a good compromise but very few Samsung devices have this specific placement besides the Note 3 so options are limited.

They are probably afraid that Apple would sue them for infringing on speaker placement

mugenlude19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

HTC One isn't louder but is high quality.
I have a S3 also and it's much louder but is distorted as crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969