Galaxy S5 Versus Note 3

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I did a search and didn't see this (pardon me if there is something, but my google-fu isn't very strong), but I'm trying to decide whether to replace my S3 with either a note 3 or wait for the S5. I'm not necessarily in a big hurry and there are things I like about both phones. S5 has a slightly better chipset (no big deal there), but the big thing for me there is the better camera. The Note 3 has the bigger screen obviously and the S-Pen. So the question is, what is everyone's opinion on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: S5 Versus Note 3

That really depends on what you need your phone to do. The S5 likely has a better camera and certainly has a better display.
I'd go for the S5

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Depends on what you are going to use your phone for. My N3 is my brain at work. Too much going on to keep up with and s-pen is a lifesaver for all the little details. But it is big. If it is work related than go for N3. If you are just using phone for calls, texts and consumption than go for the S5. The added screen size on N3 is nice and all but I would have stuck with s4 if I didn't need it for work. Both devices have longevity as far as processor and specs so no issue there. Hold out for 32gb S5 though. 16gb with 8 usable is worthless. I'm not a gamer and my 32gb N3 only has about 8gb left with all my media on sd card. You can't go wrong with either device but if you don't use the s-pen I don't see much point in having a huge phone. Now, that being said, search YouTube for note 3 features and watch some videos on s-pen. There are many uses for it, some of which you might like and use. But, I would honestly rarely use it on a personal level but use it all the time for work related tasks. Just have to decide what your needs are. If you like bigger screen for gaming just buy a tablet because the N3 can be a hassle to carry around sometimes. You can't go wrong with either device.

ATT N3

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat as I'm available for an upgrade on my S3 in July. But I wasn't thinking Note 3, instead I was thinking Note 4.

The biggest decision for me is that I need an extended battery and when you double the thickness of a Note, it becomes rather large. You can't exactly fit a fat Note in your pocket the same way a S3 or S5 would. Just doing work all day with barely any calls and no media is a battery drain. I'm yet to own a phone that lives up to the battery specs mentioned.

But if you like the pen and bigger screen go with the note. I haven't had any issues with the S3 camera and both are an upgrade so unless you're looking for something super special, it doesn't matter.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

I'm in the same boat as I'm available for an upgrade on my S3 in July. But I wasn't thinking Note 3, instead I was thinking Note 4.

The biggest decision for me is that I need an extended battery and when you double the thickness of a Note, it becomes rather large. You can't exactly fit a fat Note in your pocket the same way a S3 or S5 would. Just doing work all day with barely any calls and no media is a battery drain. I'm yet to own a phone that lives up to the battery specs mentioned.

But if you like the pen and bigger screen go with the note. I haven't had any issues with the S3 camera and both are an upgrade so unless you're looking for something super special, it doesn't matter.

I would wait for the note 4

Posted via Android Central App

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Depends on what you are going to use your phone for. My N3 is my brain at work. Too much going on to keep up with and s-pen is a lifesaver for all the little details. But it is big. If it is work related than go for N3. If you are just using phone for calls, texts and consumption than go for the S5. The added screen size on N3 is nice and all but I would have stuck with s4 if I didn't need it for work. Both devices have longevity as far as processor and specs so no issue there. Hold out for 32gb S5 though. 16gb with 8 usable is worthless. I'm not a gamer and my 32gb N3 only has about 8gb left with all my media on sd card. You can't go wrong with either device but if you don't use the s-pen I don't see much point in having a huge phone. Now, that being said, search YouTube for note 3 features and watch some videos on s-pen. There are many uses for it, some of which you might like and use. But, I would honestly rarely use it on a personal level but use it all the time for work related tasks. Just have to decide what your needs are. If you like bigger screen for gaming just buy a tablet because the N3 can be a hassle to carry around sometimes. You can't go wrong with either device.

ATT N3

Note 3 a hassle to carry around? Just buy the otterbox defender case with the holster

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Its really not so bad to carry ,without a case its very thin, do agree with Conanheath, my note 3 is my work companion, its like my Alfred if i worked as batman, it comes in handy with the S pen all the time, i feel like even for those that don't feel that they need it find themselves starting to pull it out and jot something down. I do agree that it depends on what you need it for , but i think with the S5 there are a few gimmicky things with the finger scanner( don't get me wrong its an amazing innovation especially with the heartbeat sensor). but if you don't plan on using it as a fitness mate, then a lot of features don't do much for you on the S5, i think it should go to the note 3 in terms of if you like a phone that can help you get a handle on your daily life, for those of us with hectic routines. But if you want a good phone with good capabilities, and just your basic texting and calling and no need for a stylus the S5 is a win.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

The note 3 is a great phone. That being said you should probably get the s5 or wait for the new note. If you're on a two year upgrade cycle get the newer device. My .02.

Lsucrazy

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I decided to buy the note 3 regardless of size and is not a problem even with phone case. The bulkiest case is probably the kraken. They don't really add much bulk (otterbox defender and trident cyclops) note 3 s-pen is great. I have had no problem putting this phone in my pocket but I am a guy and don't wear tight jeans. I also rarely use my nexus 7 now because it doesn't have s pen and the note 3 is almost the same screen size (nexus 7 has bigger bezels)

Posted via Verizon Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The reasons to go with the note 3 imo are screen size and s pen. If those aren't important to you and since camera is important to you then the s5 is probably a better fit

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I decided to go with the Note3, the minute differences (upgrades) in the S5 vs Note3 didn't justify the difference in screen size and S pen for ME. I will be using my Note 3 mostly for business

BoroughChild

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

As for my opinion - the Note 3 is an incredible "smart-device" and I'm really enjoying my new shiny device. I've actually had two people at my job to go and purchase their own Note 3 devices after seeing mine.

PS... I just bought my Note 3 two days ago.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

ATT N3

There is actually 10GB of free space on the GS5, not 8GB

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

If you wait for the new Note4 then it will be the same cycle

Wait for the S6 when the Note4 comes and the same question gets asked them people will say wait for the S6.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

Wait for the S6 when the Note4 comes and the same question gets asked them people will say wait for the S6.

Exactly.

OP: I dont think you can go wrong with either. It just depends on which one you want.

z06psi

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Meh.. I will wait for the Note 4. Think Samsung missed an opportunity here.

Apple is in a lull and Samsung could have really put some quality into this phone but chose not to. Disappointing.

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Meh.. I will wait for the Note 4. Think Samsung missed an opportunity here.

Apple is in a lull and Samsung could have really put some quality into this phone but chose not to. Disappointing.

That's how they're playing it, imcremental like upgrades just to keep sales going.

The Note 4 should be very interesting and will definitely have to feature something interesting since this is already a niche phone.

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I agree, but I'm available for an upgrade from my S3 on July 10th...so I'm getting one shortly after that. It's either a S5 asap or the N4 in Sept (just guessing on the release date.) Don't wait forever, but waiting a few weeks after your upgrade availabilty makes sense.

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

I went through many of these same questions when I got my Note 3 this past summer. I'm not eligible to upgrade for a while so the S5 isn't an option for me right now. When I do it will probably be something else. I have found that I really don't use the s-pen much after playing around with it. I tried learning new things to do with it but I really don't need it. The size of the phone took some getting used to. It's too big to put in my pocket while at the gym so I resorted to using my work phone (Droid Ultra).
It isn't rooted. I have yet to try it since coming over from Sprint. It isn't as easy on AT&T and I found that the support community is not that great for rooting.
I would like to see Samsung improve on their speakers like Motorola and HTC have done with the boom-sound. My Droid is amazing that way and very clear compared to the Samsung. Never been a big fan of HTC or Motorola though.

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I did a search and didn't see this (pardon me if there is something, but my google-fu isn't very strong), but I'm trying to decide whether to replace my S3 with either a note 3 or wait for the S5. I'm not necessarily in a big hurry and there are things I like about both phones. S5 has a slightly better chipset (no big deal there), but the big thing for me there is the better camera. The Note 3 has the bigger screen obviously and the S-Pen. So the question is, what is everyone's opinion on this?

Both great phones and i was in the same position as you and i went for the note 3 with no regrets and the bigger screen was a big + for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers