Galaxy S5: Desktop docks not possible due to charging cover?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have always used a desktop dock to charge my phones. With the charging door cover on the GS5, I imagine that using a desktop dock won't be possible, unless it is a wireless dock - in which case charging is noticeably slower. I use docks so frequently that if a company made a wired one, I would consider removing the charging door to use it. :D

I guess it is too much to expect that a company might make a dock that somehow leaves room for the battery door, huh? Do any other water resistant devices have wired docks?

Last edited by a moderator:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Desktop docks not possible due to charging cover?

Samsung could have included POGO pins to allow for the possibility of using a dock. Sony did this with the Z1 but it isnt compatable with any cases so it becomes quite a hassle

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
If you remove the charging door your phone will no longer be IP67. I see plenty of docks on amazon that have no issues with the door.
small case and the door work ?? the door won't go back like needed. holding the flap and trying to line up a usb 2.0 blows, been there testing on my old s3 dock.

examples would be great, thanks

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Having docks with phones that have flaps over charge ports is a pain in the ****. They sell them but it sucks lining it up and puts more stress on the door.

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess that's my issue. I really want a dock which keeps phone upright so I can see while it's at my desk all day. The wireless Tylt Vu would hold upright but lower performance and more expensive.

I am not sure what to do at the moment. I do know I am not buying the S5 until I can figure this out.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
]the flap almost would need to point down, to use with a case. no chance i'm pulling a case to charge on a dock.

dumb design, lol
no regrets **not** having an s3 in a dock vs this new s5, none at all. and the battery is great at idle compared to the s3, plus cable charging is about 1% per minute, thinking it doesn't need to live on the charger like the gs3 did.

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I really want a dock which keeps phone upright so I can see while it's at my desk all day. The wireless Tylt Vu would hold upright but lower performance and more expensive.
If your phone is going to be in the dock "all day," I would think that slower charging would not matter as you'll be maintaining the phone at nearly full charge.

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Good point. I guess ease of connecting or placing the phone just right so it does charge would be a greater concern.

If your phone is going to be in the dock "all day," I would think that slower charging would not matter as you'll be maintaining the phone at nearly full charge.

AnnieVan

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I use this in my office http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005H...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3610326 It plays my music via Bluetooth and charges at the same time. The phone is upright when"docked". It worked better for my GS4 because there was no door over the USB, the USB was 2.0, and the USB was centered when it docked. It still works and changes relatively fast, however with the 3.0 USB on the phone, when docked it sits slightly off center causing the phone to tilt slightly. The door is also a challenge and I have to try to manipulate it to be slightly behind the phone so that it can be placed on the dock. Guiding it on to this new USB is also a challenge since the compatible port is off to the right. I am just looking forward to the wireless charging that is coming and will put one of those in my office and use the one at home as soon as the back is available. I had it on my GS4 and it was so nice and easy.

Posted via Android Central App

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought the from Ravpower and it works fine. The issue with any dock is the bottom flap as previously mentioned.

So docking the S5 can be done (and I am doing it) but not as easy as it was with the S3.