Galaxy S5: 699/799? Forget it

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Instead of working on making phones more futuristic by incorporating X megapixel camera or Y resolution screen,

How come these companies aren't working on creating a budget super phone that would instead be $350? The only reason why the Nexus 5 sells great is because it's a cheap superphone. It doesn't have the best specs, but show me another phone that has those specs for 350?

699.... I can buy two Nexus 5's for that price.

Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, they should all be working to lower their costs and create a budget superphone, but a phone that still costs 699 in 2014.

I would only classify the GS5 as a bit superior than the N5

Last edited by a moderator:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: 699/799? Forget it

Thats how these companies make profit
They have the "mini" versions of the phones which are around that price ur asking

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

why should Samsung sell its s5 for $350,when people are willing to pay more? Also Samsung has a 20% operating margin. So asking Samsung to reduce the price in half would be asking Samsung to run well into the red. Which is not really a viable solution, unless something else changes.

Nexus is not a good comparison because Google is not really making money off of the nexus, based strictly hardware sales only.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

So Google/LG can come out with a phone that's just a bit more diluted for half the price and still make a profit and Samsung can't?

interesting

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So Google/LG can come out with a phone that's just a bit more diluted for half the price and still make a profit and Samsung can't?

interesting

Google isn't making a profit off of the nexus by itself, hardware sales alone.

Google is in the unique position because it makes money from Nexus through other avenues besides hardware. It also makes money from play store sales and advertising revenue.

TMobile also implied that Google is subsidizing the nexus 5 play store when it said that it isn't making any money from selling the nexus 5 even at $100 over the play store cost.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Google isn't making a profit off of the nexus by itself, hardware sales alone.

Google is in the unique position because it makes money from Nexus through other avenues besides hardware. It also makes money from play store sales and advertising revenue.

I just find it hard to pick a GS5 over a nexus 5, over nominal benefits in hardware, lesser software (no chance of updates possibly) and double the price.

You would think if the N5 in the picture it owuld drive down the cost of smartphones

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I just find it hard to pick a GS5 over a nexus 5, over nominal benefits in hardware, lesser software (no chance of updates possibly) and double the price.

You would think if the N5 in the picture it owuld drive down the cost of smartphones

Sure everyone's needs are different. If the nexus 5 works for you then great, no reason to spend double on the s5.

Considering that the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 hasn't impacted Samsung's pricing on the S or Note series, based on the current trend, I do not suspect that it would impact it in the future either. The nexus is popular in with Android enthusiasts, but honestly, I have never seen anyone in the real world with a Nexus 4 or Nexus 5. But I see a lot of people with s3,s4, note 2, note 3. As well as iphone for that matter.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Not sure where you saw $699/$799 but it isn't going TI be priced that high. Most likely same price as the s4 was at launch. And nexus is cheaper because google subsidizes it, they Dont care about hardware sales, only those using their services which is why they are ok selling it at break even price.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think you, the OP, are forgetting that most phones are bought subsidized, at least in the US. So it doesn't matter how much the off contract price is, because most people are only paying 199 to 299. Do you see how many phones that Samsung sales? Way more than Google could ever sale of the Nexus. If a strategy is working why would they decrease their profit? That would just be stupid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5, Moto X, Moto G. They do have budget priced super phones so to speak. That don't mean they'll all be budget priced

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I think you, the OP, are forgetting that most phones are bought subsidized, at least in the US. So it doesn't matter how much the off contract price is, because most people are only paying 199 to 299. Do you see how many phones that Samsung sales? Way more than Google could ever sale of the Nexus. If a strategy is working why would they decrease their profit? That would just be stupid.

This post pretty much sums it up. People really need to stop complaining and having this me me me attitude and start looking at things like an adult, from a business perspective

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 5, Moto X, Moto G. They do have budget priced super phones so to speak. That don't mean they'll all be budget priced

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Yes, all excellent phones for the price. But also keep in mind Google is probably subsidizing the the nexus by $100 and moto is running 26% in the red.

If you are on a budget but are patient and willing to do a bit of work then you may be able to get a good deal perhaps using the etf method. For example you could have gotten the note 3 for $350 ar with the ETF method last year

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

With more and more carriers breaking away from subsidized phones, seeing more and more budget super phones shouldn't be uncommon.

I mean, you think most people would pay 700 dollars every 1 or 2 years for a phone?

Sprint and tmobile already killed subsidized pricing

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With more and more carriers breaking away from subsidized phones, seeing more and more budget super phones shouldn't be uncommon.

I mean, you think most people would pay 700 dollars every 1 or 2 years for a phone?

I doubt it would be $700/800 for the s5 16/32. Probably $650/700 or less.

Those who want the latest high end popular phone at release would be paying around that price, I do not expect to see the price drop anywhere close to half anytime soon

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If you're on Att, you won't have to worry about that price. Just call and tell them you'll go to sprint or Tmobile. They're give it to you for 199.

Posted via Android Central App

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

They're breaking away from subsidized but if you look at it, you just pay a little extra every month for the phone. Well the bill is cheaper because of that so in the end you end up paying around the same a month that you would have been paying if the phone were subsidized. They did it like this on purpose, so it works out almost the same and there won't be an uproar about paying a lot for phones. My point is, the OEM is still gonna get their money. Samsung knows what they're doing.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you're on Att, you won't have to worry about that price. Just call and tell them you'll go to sprint or Tmobile. They're give it to you for 199.

Posted via Android Central App

What about people switching to at&t? I will move from verizon to at&t and get S5 with either contract or next program. But I wonder if they give some credit for people switching from other carriers for outright buying. It appears that phone price for outright purchase is also generally lower with at&t than verizon.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
They're breaking away from subsidized but if you look at it, you just pay a little extra every month for the phone. Well the bill is cheaper because of that so in the end you end up paying around the same a month that you would have been paying if the phone were subsidized. They did it like this on purpose, so it works out almost the same and there won't be an uproar about paying a lot for phones. My point is, the OEM is still gonna get their money. Samsung knows what they're doing.

Depends, Motorola's flagship was only like 400, but the problem is the huge price discrpency between the carriers. for instance, a LG G2 was 600 with tmobile and 484 with ATT.

I do like how super budget phones are becoming more and more common. With the relatively nominal spec increases in the GS5, yet the same price?

Although the N5 isn't the best phone with the best specs, it is the best phone for a broke college student like me and I wish the samsung galaxy series followed a similar notion of cheap budget minded phones, that have the specs where it counts. THe only other 400 dollar phones you can buy are either used or some cheap chinese trash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance