Why do people hate the Galaxy S5?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree LG is the closest competition to Samsung today.

Very close.

dTXyr2b.jpg

tinktink09is

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Now I haven't exactly looked much into it, as I'm not a big fan of Samsung, but whats with all the hate?
1) Its not premium!!
Well it has metal sides doesn't it? Thats better then nothing, but to be honest I actually prefer that, don't like Apple or HTC One because of the all metal.
2) Ugly back?
Didn't the N7 '12 have a textured back? It was pretty well received, and they did it to reduce slippage, which is a good thing. Plus its exchangable, so what?
3) Same old, Same Old.
Not really. Samsung is refining its Touchwiz Software, not as much as we expected but its a start. The Galaxies have held the same design ish, not as close as iPhones, but its pretty much always been the same, even for the windows phones. The HTC M8 is relatively the same, and I hope the Moto X2 is the same-ish design.
4) Lack of features.
Yes I know Samsung is known for its feature packed phones. But really after all they added with the S4, I'm glad their not doing another S4. Plus if Samsung really fixed up its HR sensor, fitness apps, it would be a dream!
5) I don't know what to put here, but I felt like it needs a 5th.

While the Galaxy S5 is an excellent phone...one thing that is a pet peeve of mine is the location of the speaker. Why in the world is it on the back of the phone??? If the phone is laying flat, that messes up the sound. It needs to be elsewhere. Maybe I'm missing an important factor in the decision for its location...😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
That's an interesting perspective.

The thing is, Samsung's marketing can only do so much. If the actual products turn out to be garbage, then Samsung risks alienating people and hurting their reputation. Marketing can only get your foot in the door, but the products still have to deliver on their own merit.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Between LG doing nothing more than photocopying Samsung, (Well GooPhone folks do a 100% duplication of the external side of things) and LG sells for a lower price point. I have found their hardware to be pretty good, but the have a spotty record on OS updates (Carriers are also to blame in the US) but I do look to see if they also add microSD support again.

The support for microSD has less to do with apps and more to do with media storage, music, pictures, movies, pictures you take with the phone. Now that KitKat has changed things the OEM's need to move the pendulum back to supporting it and making 32GB the base storage option.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
While the Galaxy S5 is an excellent phone...one thing that is a pet peeve of mine is the location of the speaker. Why in the world is it on the back of the phone??? If the phone is laying flat, that messes up the sound. It needs to be elsewhere. Maybe I'm missing an important factor in the decision for its location...😳

I agree completely. I had hoped with the GN3 moving the speaker to the bottom that Samsung would do the same on the GS5 but they didn't. They need to move it on the next version or else make the rear speaker LARGER!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Samsung makes a solid product. I don't think most of their customers are disappointed.

Halcyon  0rbital

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Side question...would you consider the HTC One M8 over the Galaxy S5-why or why not?

If the rumors and leaks are accurate I'd take the M8 over the S5. I'm one to consider build quality and the M8 seems like it will win there. Both phones will perform just fine I think but I think Sense would be a bit preferable.

Halcyon  0rbital

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Side question...would you consider the HTC One M8 over the Galaxy S5-why or why not?

It depends on what people really want.

I need AMOLED screen, removable battery and SD-slot , Samsung would win by default.
(Nokia too of they make such a device , My last phone was Lumia 820 and it had all three , I chose it over Lumia 920)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm really thinking about giving HTC a shot this year! Besides, I want to see and understand what all this love affair is with its user base.

If I like the device when I play with it in a Sprint or BB store, I'll take it! I'll have 30 days (hopefully) to try it out (thankfully) and see if it serves my needs well. If not....I'll give another device a try. :cool:

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well it has metal sides doesn't it? Thats better then nothing, but to be honest I actually prefer that, don't like Apple or HTC One because of the all metal.

Lately, I have been wondering if the ongoing lawsuits between Apple and Samsung has affected the design of the Galaxy series. I've heard that beginning with the S III, Samsung's phones look like they were designed by a committee of lawyers to prevent lawsuits from Apple. I think Samsung could design a phone out of metal, but they won't out of an overabundance of caution from their legal department.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Most don't like the S5 because the rumors ended up not being true. The rumors raised expectations and then the announcement failed to meet the expectations people had for the device.

Me personally, I read the rumors, but chose not to have the rumors raise expectations for me. Rumors are just that and most of the time just aren't true, so I just let them go and waited until the official announcement.

This.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I would, I am and I will, but the lack of removable battery is my major hold back. I can get past Sense UI which I absolutely hate more than any other UI by simply putting NOVA Launcher on it, but I want a removable battery so its a big negative for me.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Lately, I have been wondering if the ongoing lawsuits between Apple and Samsung has affected the design of the Galaxy series. I've heard that beginning with the S III, Samsung's phones look like they were designed by a committee of lawyers to prevent lawsuits from Apple. I think Samsung could design a phone out of metal, but they won't out of an overabundance of caution from their legal department.
Sadly nothing will slow apple down when it comes to flinging more pooh at Samsung over lawsuits. They could make the next Galaxy devices ROUND and they would still SUE.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung dropped the 16GB version of the Galaxy Note series so its time to drop the 16GB of the Galaxy S series as well. Make 32GB the standard (or should we say 23-25GB depending on carrier bloatware). Samsung should also say NO to carrier bloatware and carrier intervention on updates. Apple can do it, Samsung sells far more phones than Apple does.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung dropped the 16GB version of the Galaxy Note series so its time to drop the 16GB of the Galaxy S series as well. Make 32GB the standard (or should we say 23-25GB depending on carrier bloatware). Samsung should also say NO to carrier bloatware and carrier intervention on updates. Apple can do it, Samsung sells far more phones than Apple does.

It would be nice if 32 became the new standard :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if 32 became the new standard :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

There really is NO standard...not even 16GB. You still see "mini" version phones with 4GB. I would just always want the option for at least 32GB but I don't think that's a common desire across most customers even...but more so the power user. Of my 4 iOS devices only one is 64GB, the rest are 32GB and I'd be happy with just 32GB if that was all I could get. However, for the average customer 16GB is more than enough, especially with cloud storage available.

via the tablet